Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Stroke' Fahy

Options
  • 04-12-2007 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭

Apparently he got a hero's welcome on his return to Galway Co. Council. And made a speech which included this snippet "It is just not good enough that people who are out at the shops or at Mass come home to find their houses ransacked. The people who do this sort of crime need to be caught and punished."

I suspect he's ransacked us taxpayers quite a bit himself in the past. When's he going to get a real punishment?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

donaghs wrote: »
    Apparently he got a hero's welcome on his return to Galway Co. Council. And made a speech which included this snippet "It is just not good enough that people who are out at the shops or at Mass come home to find their houses ransacked. The people who do this sort of crime need to be caught and punished."

I suspect he's ransacked us taxpayers quite a bit himself in the past. When's he going to get a real punishment?!

Everyone in Ireland knows what 'stroke' means. How the hell did he get elected?
    Did people just vote randomly for councillors they don't know? or do they not care that the guy they're voting for has a reputation for doing things in a very underhanded way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

"It is just not good enough that people who are out at the shops or at Mass come home to find their houses ransacked."
    As said on Newstalk this morning they should build a nice big fence around their houses

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It is no wonder we have the pack of chancers we do as politicians when they don't seem to be punished for abuse of power when it occurs.

This person should have been stripped of his position the moment he was convicted. The fact it has gone to a retrial should not allow him to go back into chambers and then make a speech on law and order? Talk about bare faced cheek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Killinascully/Maurice Hickey ftw.

Mike.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

gandalf wrote: »
    This person should have been stripped of his position the moment he was convicted.
    It gets better. He would have lost his seat due to non-attendance at council meetings - except the council voted a motion that he was absent due to illness, which exempts him from expulsion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Sounds like he's got the council, or a slim majority of it in his pocket over something or other. If he was an honest guy soin his best, the knives would have come out the minute he was brought up the steps.
    On the other hand, he was somehow acquited, and our legal system is quite clear about what this means, If the council had turned around and burned him, He'd be sueing them for a wrongfull dismissal right now, so maybe they were just CYA'ing themselves. Either way, he'll get what he deserves in the long term. They all will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

mike65 wrote: »
    Killinascully/Maurice Hickey ftw.

Mike.

Brian Lenihan argues exactly like Willie Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Being a member of the county council is a nice little earner. I know a few from my neck of the woods that get €40,000 + a year in expenses. They tend to play the political game but at the same time look out for each other. Most of theses characters are of course a waste of space, but tow the party line and are rewarded accordingly. It’s just the Irish way.
    Take the venerable “stroke” for instance, he looks and sounds like your typical Fianna Fail Co. Councillor. And in his first speech back after his “sick leave” manages to show his sympathy for mass goers. Nice touch that. He will probably be re elected by his sophisticated constituents with an increased majority. Maybe even get the chair! This nonsense is of course nursed along by the main political parties because county councillors have a vote in the senate elections.

Frustrating isn't it. My constituency has the same sort of cretins in office, just they don't get caught or pulled up for their snake behaviour. Considering running myslef at the next one, for a laugh, but Its fairly pricey from what I hear, especially as no party would support someone like me, who's gonna turn around and bite them when they make a balls of something.
    Maybe some sort of corporate sponsorship for it might be in order:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Ah cmon now he did 7 months. You only do 7 years for murdering someone and he served a tenth of that. Plus he is obviously slightly simple so I reckon the crime fit the punishment. Also his mammy was getting lonely on her own.

I recently saw a case where a guy backed up his jeep and pinned a 19 year old student to a wall, killing her, while drunk. Did not even get jail time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Frustrating isn't it. My constituency has the same sort of cretins in office, just they don't get caught or pulled up for their snake behaviour. Considering running myslef at the next one, for a laugh, but Its fairly pricey from what I hear, especially as no party would support someone like me, who's gonna turn around and bite them when they make a balls of something.
    Maybe some sort of corporate sponsorship for it might be in order:D

No, you don’t need corporate sponsorship. What you do need is a hard neck and an issue. Also the ability to make a lot of noise, and skin as thick as an alligator. You cannot have a sensitive bone in your body. You should also be out and about a lot and attract as many camp followers as possible (remember the local half wit has one vote, the same as the local professor). Write letters to your local paper at least once a week. Always start your letter “please allow me through the medium of your widely read and respected newspaper”. Also remember the one golden rule ALL POLITICS ARE LOCAL. When it comes to election time, knock on every door in your electoral area and make as many outlandish promises as you can. Let your imagination run riot. Good luck.

I don't think he deserved more prison time, that wouldn't solve much, but having him back on the council isn't going to solve much either, especially as it sets up a nice little model of behavior for other councillors, so they know exactly how far they can bend the law before the reprecussions start to kick in. I just think there should have been a replacement put into place for the duration of his trial and pending a full not guilty result, not the technicality that produced the result given as reported on the news. Perhaps the appeal will provide a different result ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

It tells us more about the people that make up the Galway County Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

kmick wrote: »
    Ah cmon now he did 7 months. You only do 7 years for murdering someone and he served a tenth of that. Plus he is obviously slightly simple so I reckon the crime fit the punishment.
    I don't think he deserved more prison time

Let's not forget that in addition to stealing from the council I'm pretty sure this guy tried to pin the blame on somebody else. He and his ilk may like to appear like simple mined gobsheens but I think there's a bit more of Machiavelli about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

juuge wrote: »
    It tells us more about the people that make up the Galway County Council.

The Fianna Fail People:rolleyes:

Don't be fooled into thinking that any other Irish political organization will do any better, The way the system is structured attracts the wrong kind of people. Councillors should be given an expense budget to work from, and if they go over that, they should have to publish and publicly present a report of their expenses to a public audience.
    They should not have direct influence over planning zoning, It should be done by local district meetings, where all issues affecting a community can be raised, reflected on and then voted on by the people it affects. The fact that a bunch of people, no more qualified to do the job than the winner of a beauty contest, can make decisions that can effectively ruin a strong community, is despicable.
    The fact that it then gets pushed up to waste the time of TD's who turn around and use such micro issues to demand increases in pay, is also a disgrace.
    Public referendums need to be a far bigger part of our system, indeed a Monthly referendum where crucial issues can actually be put to the people, as well as a full time dedicated Parliamentary TV & Radio Channel would be a nice development. Too many of the public rely on tabloids for their information regarding major issues, and they just don't cut it. Even the broadsheets sometimes leave much to the imagination, but the bulk of the information is at least usually there.:(

Advertisement