Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilternan Lessons

• 04-12-2007 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I would appreciate the advice of you guys if you don't mind.

I spent last year skiing and got on fairly well, but I would love to board.
    Rather than wasting the 5 days I have skiing this year learning to board - would I be better off skiing and enjoying it ?

Would a one day snowboarding course in Kilternan help me get going much quicker when I get to the slopes ? I just can't face falling on my ass for 5 days.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Lessons before you go would help for either but I doubt you'd be getting up to an equivalent standard of boarding after one days worth of lessons as you already are with the skiing. Personally I'd say stick with the skiing and you'd now be able to cover far more of the mountain, if you start boarding then your back on the green runs for a week. Just don't get your thumb stuck in the mat at Kilternan though if you go, mine is still hurting from catching it there last week.

And we don't need any more boarders round here anyway. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Like yourself I came from a skiing background so I found it much easier to learn snowboarding than say a complete first timer. Its all down to your learning level and your instructor IMO.

For instance some friends of mine (Skiers) both decided to try snowboarding in Bulgaria last year. The found it quite difficult for two reasons the instructor was poor, and they both were quite good skiers so I think they found the whole changing over process frustrating. By the end of the week they had just started doing blue runs, one guy loved boarding where as the other went back to skiing.

I don't know what you consider old but I wouldn't let it bother me if I wanted to try it, unless you have some medical reason why you shouldn't.

Its all down to you really, if you want to try Snowboarding, then go for it. Its lots of fun and while if you get a good instructor you can be racing down blues by day 3. The learning curve at the very start is steep but as your coming from a skiing background you should fine it easier than starting fresh.

in regards to Kilternan, yes it probably would help. At the end of the day if you can stay upright on your board, possible even move 10 feet without falling over and have little fear of being on a snowboard then you will be already on your way to at least the advanced learner class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I'm only mid thirties so theres no real reason I have for not doing it ( I just felt it was for kids )

Anyway - I used to skateboard and windsurf - would either help do you think ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Anyway - I used to skateboard and windsurf - would either help do you think ?
    Anything that you've previously done that required some form of balance will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Hi,

I would appreciate the advice of you guys if you don't mind.

I spent last year skiing and got on fairly well, but I would love to board.
    Rather than wasting the 5 days I have skiing this year learning to board - would I be better off skiing and enjoying it ?

Would a one day snowboarding course in Kilternan help me get going much quicker when I get to the slopes ? I just can't face falling on my ass for 5 days.

Do the 4 lesson A class in Kiltiernan before you go. That should have you hitting the slopes with a reasonable confidence and you'll still get to travel about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ski Club Irl

The one-day snowboard course is equivalent to taking the first three beginner classes at Kilternan. If you are in a hurry to get your lessons in then it is a good idea. There are a couple spaces left in the course this Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RectalWareZ

The price of lessons has gone up. Paid €38 for a lesson in nov and then €45 for 1 on sat 29/12/07. Peek season has started appearently. But if you book 4 leasons you get bout 10-15% off. Its always a good idea to even get 1 lesson before you head off. I learned this to my cost last season. Didnt take any lessons & therefore crashed lots, and lost my confidence. Takin 3 lessons this year , b3,b4 & c1, Headin off Saturday. hopefully i'll do better! lol

Advertisement