Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'US overstated Iran nuclear threat'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I dispute this. 70% wanted to come home according to a very recent poll. Your figures don't stack up.

Note the part "...if it meant...". I think that says it all and another war, which the US troop levels could not cope with, is inconceivable.

Well then I quess I was right in part in that you can't really rely on polls because I have seen polls asking the exact same question with a completely different result.

Are you saying that every weapon that is used in Iraq is coming from Iran?

No but what I am saying is that a lot of the most deadly weapons [mortars,RPGs etc.] are coming from Iran add that to the fact the the Iranian Elite Army is training insurgents and you have a problem
    See my earlier point about bad intelligence. This is also a indication of lack of foresight.

Yeah your right. But you were definitely trying to imply that America had used agent orange to murder people when in fact that is false.

North Korea are not a threat to anyone. They've recently agreed to wind-down their program and are allowing inspectors in.

LOL great those North Koreans stern but fair...inspectors can come in now that they have a nuclear bomb

A bit late dont you think

Bottom line: it was a UN operation. Period. I'm not interested in how involved the US were in it; I'm just correcting your misstatement about the operation being a solely US venture. ;)

In all but name it was an American operation.

It wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for America. America did pretty much all the work. It would be akin to saying that America won the war on the Russian front in WW2 because they provided mimimal support.

If you want to be petty you can say that it was a UN mission made up equally of all the UN nations but in reality it was an American operation with mimimal support from a few UN nations

imp wrote: »
    Actually the Soviets invaded China and some other Japanese-controlled territories a few days before the Japanese surrendered, having promised at the Yalta conference to declare war on Japan within 90 days of Germany being defeated.

Yes as US allies. There is no evidence that Russia would have tried to actually invade Japan and set up a soviet state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

SpAcEd OuT, just out of interest, are you an american? Ive never come across anyone who is Irish and an American neo-con.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

And I would dispute the conclusion you are drawing from the poll figure. Do not confuse "We want to come home soon" with "we should come home now."

The "come home now" was around %30 IIRC. Otherwise the majority said within a year. That was almost a year ago.

Similarly:

Whilst loyalty to the oath of enlistment is doubtless a factor, you are omitting the concept of duty to the mission itself. It happens that a lot of servicemen are of the belief that Iraqis should have a better life than the violent situation they have now, and if it is needed that a military presence be used to help, then being the selfless people that they are, they'll be the ones to do it, since few others seem interested. I am one of the latter. I do not see how we can in good conscience, leave the Iraqis who shared their tables with me to their fates in a state of civil strife.

You mean the situation "you" are largely responsible for? Seems "you" leaving it would go a long way towards resolving the problem.

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »
    Well then I quess I was right in part in that you can't really rely on polls because I have seen polls asking the exact same question with a completely different result.

Care to point us to some of those. Might help your argument a bit.

No but what I am saying is that a lot of the most deadly weapons [mortars,RPGs etc.] are coming from Iran add that to the fact the the Iranian Elite Army is training insurgents and you have a problem

Got any sources to back that up?

LOL great those North Koreans stern but fair...inspectors can come in now that they have a nuclear bomb

Er no..as far back as Clinton NK was bargaining with the bomb before they had it. There was reniging on both sides so you can't completely call it one sided intransigence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

In fairness theres no need for personal abuse.

I have no problem arguing points with you but there is no need to being childish about the matter.

If you think that is personal abuse, you need to grow a pair.

Yes as US allies. There is no evidence that Russia would have tried to actually invade Japan and set up a soviet state.

Unlike East Germany, Poland, Hungary..etc etc etc

I have already stated I saw the polls on t.v awhile ago, I can hardly find a link for that
    sovtek wrote: »
    Got any sources to back that up?

Lots

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/10/07/petraeus.iran/index.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6351257.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/13/wiran313.xml

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/06/politics/06bomb.html

If you need anymore just ask... there is loads ;)

Er no..as far back as Clinton NK was bargaining with the bomb before they had it. There was reniging on both sides so you can't completely call it one sided intransigence.

Yeah and they came to an agreement, N.Korea would stop in their efforts to produce a nuclear bomb if America supplied Aid. America supplied Aid and N.Korea kept developing the bomb. They lied and deceived America.

tell me how does N.Korea letting in inspectors now after that they have already produced a nuclear bomb benefit anyone its clear they had lied to the US. It's not a gesture of goodwill its two fingers up to the US from an unstable, hostile, rogue state.

If you think that is personal abuse, you need to grow a pair.

It is personal abuse. I never said it offended me I couldn't care less but thats what it is. I only called you out on it because it shows that you are having trouble arguing your point and thus have to resort to petty name calling.

No it's not and I have admitted America has made mistakes. This is different from some cynical posters on here that say that America intentionally made this mistakes with the goal of mass murdering civilians

While it would be hard to prove that the US ever did sell weapons for the sole use of harming civilians, it cannot be completely ruled out.

However, a nation, such as the US, with all the intelligence gathering facilities and all the highly paid IQs has not seemed to learn from past mistakes and continues on its blinkered path of meddling in the affairs of sovereign states. The continued lack of foresight is appalling and can only be explained by having vested interests.

As stated America gave Iraq those weapons with the intention of them being used on Iranian military they did not know Sadaam was going to use them on his own people years after they gave them to him.

And the US is guilty in this instance, of my previously mentioned lack of foresight. These are, what they term nowadays as WMD. See how conveniently they forget about supplying Iraq with them, but they harp on about countries obtaining WMD now, when they freely supplied WMD not that long ago! It shows how US foreign policy is a sham, dictated by political convenience, and always will be until there is a radical shakeup in thinking.
    I obviously don't have an exact figure but nearly every credible historian believes the figure to be in the millions.

Link, please, to something, anything to back this statement up? I'm actually begging you! :)
    I'm not potraying the victims as evil doers I am saying that the Japanese emperor although wanting to surrender couldn't because of the Japanese obsession with honor. The Nuclear bombing allowed him to do this without losing face amongst his people.

Sometimes in order to good you may have to engage in evil.

I find this extremely hard to believe, and again I ask for a link to something that references this.

In relation to stooping to evil, are you going to try and use this to backup torture and rendition, which happens to pass through these waters in a little town in Limerick?
    Oh yes because its not like America are the biggest donaters to charity [and per capita as well if you were to include the amount they give to NGOs,governments etc.] it's not like America have sent the more troops than all other countries put together on peace keeping missions, its not like America gives out free healthcare to other countries etc.

The US, as a percentage of GDP, are far from the largest contributors to charity. Michael Moore stated in his film, Bowling for Columbine, that Saudi Arabia were. I don't imagine that this has changed much. I'd also imagine that the Scandinavian countries and the Dutch are bigger contributors.

Your incorrect stats are now getting tiresome, but I will happily keep debunking them. :D

I find your point about healthcare to be very interesting. The US has a privatised system that cost patients a fortune. You are saying that they pass out free healthcare to foreigners, while they charge their own citizens? Wait until the US people get a hold of this nugget!

I was saying that in response to Angry Hippys claim that the British regions in Iraq were more stable because of the BA's conduct whilst America's regions were bad because of the American soldier's conduct, I think you agree with me that that claim is utterly false and that all of Iraq is unstable.

However it is becoming more stable despite the carbombing violence is dropping http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSL057734620071205?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Despite the day's bloodshed, overall attacks across Iraq have fallen to their lowest level in nearly two years, focusing attention on whether the Shi'ite-led government can reconcile with disaffected minority Sunni Arabs.

Things are starting to piece together, people are actually disaffecting from Al-Qaeda to join neighbourhood security patrols

Earlier on Wednesday the government took a step in that direction by announcing it would put 45,000 of the patrol members on its payroll by the middle of 2008.

That means tens of thousands of armed Sunni Arabs, many believed to have fought against the government before this year, will soon be working for it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSL057734620071205?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

Can you name me the one US soldier who has caused all this grief? Again, I'm very interested to hear an elaboration on your claim.

Your portrayal of me being in complete agreement with you is false. I agreed the term to describe Basra with Angry Hippy(quiet), but I do not say that the area is without trouble. I would argue that the British troops' professionalism has helped smooth the ride for them, and as I also said earlier in the thread, it is not the capital. They have not been involved in Haliburton, Abu Ghraib[sp?] or Blackwater scandals. As Tesco would say: "Every Little Helps".

The overall reason, and what you are misconstruing me on, is that the illegal incursion is the lynchpin underpining the instability. It was never necessary.

I could play your game and point out who runs Reuters, but it is not really necessary to stoop to the same level.

• Advertisement

Unlike East Germany, Poland, Hungary..etc etc etc

Thats different they were already under the control of the Russian Army before they came under the Soviet Union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Who cares what the soldiers think. They go and do whatever their ordered to do. Pro-war supporters just use them by saying if your against the war your against the troops which is nonsense.

I'm well aware of the US government/military accusation of Iran being involved. However those articles are just that...accusations. The BBC article says as much.

"US claims the bombs were smuggled from Iran cannot be independently verified."

Yeah and they came to an agreement, N.Korea would stop in their efforts to produce a nuclear bomb if America supplied Aid. America supplied Aid and N.Korea kept developing the bomb. They lied and deceived America.

And America reneged on some of that aid.
    tell me how does N.Korea letting in inspectors now after that they have already produced a nuclear bomb benefit anyone

How does reneging on a promise to provide aid which produced the predicted result of them attaining the bomb benefit? How does threatening them make it less likely they would want to aquire on? How does the only country in the world to ever use one having the most benefit anyone?

Link? Backup? Reference? Anything? What's a wotsit?

And these people with little tactical knowledge, little armour, little numbers and little ammunition are the root cause of all the mayhem in Iraq? Please spare me, lol.
    Yeah your right. But you were definitely trying to imply that America had used agent orange to murder people when in fact that is false.

I'm obviously not as smart as a former US president of this time, but I can draw the conclusion that if you poison crops, you poison people. It's as clse to premeditated murder that you are going to get.

It really is not a difficult concept.

A bit late dont you think

It is never too late for diplomacy, and the US government are beginning to latch onto this way of thinking. I remember Bush saying that he would never engage with North Korea. Look what's happening now? They are disarming.

No, it has not been too late.

In all but name it was an American operation.

It wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for America. America did pretty much all the work. It would be akin to saying that America won the war on the Russian front in WW2 because they provided mimimal support.

If you want to be petty you can say that it was a UN mission made up equally of all the UN nations but in reality it was an American operation with mimimal support from a few UN nations

It was under a UN flag, get over it. The overall commander was Clark, but it was a UN operation. I actually must revise it slightly to emphasise that it was a NATO operation, with the blessing of the UN.

I'm not being petty, I'm just stating a fact, something that you can't accept. :o

Thats different they were already under the control of the Russian Army before they came under the Soviet Union.

I don't know what to say... if you cant see how that refutes your point then I don't know what will. Do you need a tutorial in logic?

While it would be hard to prove that the US ever did sell weapons for the sole use of harming civilians, it cannot be completely ruled out.

Well if somethings unproven it cannot be said with conviction. You are in the wrong here you've already admitted your claims to be utterly unfounded absent of any concrete evidence. Deal with it

And the US is guilty in this instance, of my previously mentioned lack of foresight. These are, what they term nowadays as WMD. See how conveniently they forget about supplying Iraq with them, but they harp on about countries obtaining WMD now, when they freely supplied WMD not that long ago! It shows how US foreign policy is a sham, dictated by political convenience, and always will be until there is a radical shakeup in thinking.

Or maybe it shows they have learned from their mistakes and having seen the destruction Sadaam did with them do not want any other unstable leaders having them.

I find this extremely hard to believe, and again I ask for a link to something that references this.
    Link, please, to something, anything to back this statement up? I'm actually begging you! :)

Beg and you shall receive

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-135164006.html

This brings us to another aspect of history that now very belatedly has entered the controversy. Several American historians led by Robert Newman have insisted vigorously that any assessment of the end of the Pacific war must include the horrifying consequences of each continued day of the war for the Asian populations trapped within Japan's conquests. Newman calculates that between a quarter million and 400,000 Asians, overwhelmingly noncombatants, were dying each month the war continued. Newman et al. challenge whether an assessment of Truman's decision can highlight only the deaths of noncombatant civilians in the aggressor nation while ignoring much larger death tolls among noncombatant civilians in the victim nations.

There are a good many more points that now extend our understanding beyond the debates of 1995. But it is clear that all three of the critics' central premises are wrong. The Japanese did not see their situation as catastrophically hopeless. They were not seeking to surrender, but pursuing a negotiated end to the war that preserved the old order in Japan, not just a figurehead emperor. Finally, thanks to radio intelligence, American leaders, far from knowing that peace was at hand, understood--as one analytical piece in the "Magic" Far East Summary stated in July 1945, after a review of both the military and diplomatic intercepts--that "until the Japanese leaders realize that an invasion can not be repelled, there is little likelihood that they will accept any peace terms satisfactory to the Allies." This cannot be improved upon as a succinct and accurate summary of the military and diplomatic realities of the summer of 1945.

In relation to stooping to evil, are you going to try and use this to backup torture and rendition, which happens to pass through these waters in a little town in Limerick?

The accusations of torture are completely over exaggerated. The 3 Britons that went to Guantanamo Bay told their story. They were kept awake a bit and were put in rooms blaring loud music in order to get them to talk. Hardly evil. And besides I don't care what people say you don't get thrown into Guantanamo Bay for nothing. [Those Britons claimed they did not know they were traveling around with insurgents :rolleyes:]

The US, as a percentage of GDP, are far from the largest contributors to charity. Michael Moore stated in his film, Bowling for Columbine, that Saudi Arabia were. I don't imagine that this has changed much. I'd also imagine that the Scandinavian countries and the Dutch are bigger contributors.

Your incorrect stats are now getting tiresome, but I will happily keep debunking them. :D

Your misreading of my posts is getting tiresome, unfortunately the monies America gives to NGOs, governments etc. is not factored in, if it was America would be miles ahead.

I find your point about healthcare to be very interesting. The US has a privatised system that cost patients a fortune. You are saying that they pass out free healthcare to foreigners, while they charge their own citizens? Wait until the US people get a hold of this nugget!

Indeed. Trying to be smart but you are wrong....again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Comfort_(T-AH-20)

humanitarian mission, which began in June 15, 2007, was a major component of the president’s “Advancing the Cause of Social Justice in the Western Hemisphere” initiative. Comfort visited 12 Central American, South American and Caribbean nations where its embarked medical crew provided free health care services to communities in need. The mission offered valuable training to U.S. military personnel while promoting U.S. goodwill in the region. In all, the civilian and military medical team treated more than 98,000 patients, provided 386,000 patient encounters and performed 1,100 surgeries.

The embarked medical crew was made up of more than 500 military and Non-Governmental Organization (Project Hope and Operation Smile) doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals. Their primary focus was to support medical humanitarian assistance efforts ashore. A secondary mission was outpatient shipboard health service support.

Also supporting Comfort’s medical mission was a SEABEE detachment from the East Coast-based Mobile Construction Battalion Maintenance Unit 202, which performed civic action repair and minor construction projects in the host countries. Also on the deployment was the U.S. Navy Showband from Norfolk, Va, which performed in each port.

Comfort was operated and navigated by a crew of 68 civil service mariners (CIVMARS) from the U.S. Navy’s Military Sealift Command (MSC).

This mission incorporated various non-government organizations and government agencies, such as Operation Smile, Project Hope, the Atlanta Rotary Club, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Army, U.S. Health and Human Services and the Canadian Defense Force.

A variety of medical conditions and concerns are common to the region. This deployment helped share best-practices for the most effective, economical treatments that can be made available by regional medical teams.

Comfort’s deployment to the region exemplified the U.S. commitment to cooperative partnerships in the region.

A key element of this deployment was the potential for a variety of medical staffs to collectively address regional medical concerns and develop effective, economical solutions that can be used through the region.

This deployment provided another opportunity for U.S. military services to work with non-governmental organizations (NGOs) so that strong partnerships are in place and can be called upon in the event of a regional situation that requires cooperative solutions.

Patient encounters include a single patient receiving multiple treatments, students in training sessions and even veterinary care services.

Dentists and staff treated 25,000 patients, extracting 300 teeth, and performing 4,000 fillings, 7,000 sealings, and 20,000 fluoride applications.

In addition to treating patients, bio-medical professionals fixed about a thousand pieces of medical equipment at local health facilities. The ship’s crew also delivered nearly $200,000 dollars worth of donated humanitarian aid.

Can you name me the one US soldier who has caused all this grief? Again, I'm very interested to hear an elaboration on your claim.

What are you on about that was just one soldier they asked on the matter hes not the only one claiming this did you even look at all the links, they had showed caches of weapons directly traced to Iran

Maybe try read all the links instead of looking at one and then jumping to your ill informed wrong conclusion.

And on Basra there is just as much insurgent activity for its population as anywhere else in Iraq

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    SpAcEd OuT, just out of interest, are you an american? Ive never come across anyone who is Irish and an American neo-con.

I doubt it.

I don't know what to say... if you cant see how that refutes your point then I don't know what will. Do you need a tutorial in logic?

No.

What I am saying is, America had not set foot in Eastern Europe all of the fighting there had been done by the Soviet Army. They had troops stationed there and were already policing there. So eventually it came under Soviet control.

Whereas with Japan the US forces would have been there, they would have had troops stationed there etc. and would not have allowed the Soviet Union to take over the country even if they tried to you would have had something similar to Berlin with America running one part and Russia running another and neither nation wanted that

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

kaiser sauze banned for personal abuse.

And these people with little tactical knowledge, little armour, little numbers and little ammunition are the root cause of all the mayhem in Iraq? Please spare me, lol.

Eh what are you talking about... thats the whole point they are being trained tatically, they are receiving armour and are receiving a wide range of ammunition all from Iran, that is why there is so much mayhem in Iraq.

I'm obviously not as smart as a former US president of this time, but I can draw the conclusion that if you poison crops, you poison people. It's as clse to premeditated murder that you are going to get.

Eh not everything thats poisonous to crops is poisonous to people. And I believe the US president was assured it was non lethal to people. So no it was not premeditated murder.

It is never too late for diplomacy, and the US government are beginning to latch onto this way of thinking. I remember Bush saying that he would never engage with North Korea. Look what's happening now? They are disarming.

The only reason the US are talking to N.Korea now is that they have nuclear weapons. The fact that North Korea can now posture with nuclear weapons is not a good thing seeing as they are what would definitely be considered an unstable, rogue state.

It was under a UN flag, get over it. The overall commander was Clark, but it was a UN operation. I actually must revise it slightly to emphasise that it was a NATO operation, with the blessing of the UN.

I'm not being petty, I'm just stating a fact, something that you can't accept. :o

I'm not saying it wasn't under the UN flag but lets call a spade a spade it was a US operation

Edit ; just noticed you were banned

• Advertisement

I'm well aware of the US government/military accusation of Iran being involved. However those articles are just that...accusations. The BBC article says as much.

"US claims the bombs were smuggled from Iran cannot be independently verified."

In fairness Sovtek its not just accusation if you read all the links you would see America have intercepted large caches of weapons coming from Iran, have caught Iranian Elite Army members in an insurgent base in Iraq, have uncovered Iranian documents revealing how to make bombs and detailed plans, have traced material used in roadside bombs back to Iran, have caught insurgents with steyhr rifles traceable to the Iranian government's recent purchase etc.

And America reneged on some of that aid.

Only when it became clear N.Korea weren't keeping to their end of the bargain.

How does reneging on a promise to provide aid which produced the predicted result of them attaining the bomb benefit? How does threatening them make it less likely they would want to aquire on? How does the only country in the world to ever use one having the most benefit anyone?

Read above. It's simply all N.Korea needed to do was stop their ambitions to obtain a nuclear device just like Libya eventually did and America would have backed off just like they did with Libya.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've lifted kaiser sauze's ban, as I had mistakenly thought it was he who called SpAcEd OuT an imbecile. I see that it was AngryHippie who actually did so. I also see an apology for doing so which I hadn't previously noticed.

There's a lot of getting personal going on in this thread. There's no need for it: discuss the issues as robustly as necessary, but avoid the personal jibes.

Once again, apologies to kaiser sauze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Wow, The only poster with the patience to try and have a logical arguement about this topic and US behaviour has been banned, Please note that the Childish behaviour here was initiated by SpAcEd Out, who has posted a wide range of gibberish and circular irrelevant arguements. I will not request that his messages be reviewed or report them as they are a shining example of total blind ignorance of documented facts, while quoting from known speculative web-based sources of polls and other unverifiable nonsense. This post is not abusive to the individual posting, but rather to the irresponsible and frustrating nature of the posts.
    I would request that the moderator restore Kaiser Sauze with whatever other disciplinary measures still in place and a caution about personal abuse, I don't think that it will do any good, But whoever is posting as SpAcEd Out is playing a passive aggressive role, rubbishing accepted facts from Neutral sources for rhumour and speculation.
    This behaviour cannot ever yield a decent discussion, This will be my last post on the topic. Please do not remove it or my ability to post on this forum as maybe this poster has some particular reason why they seem to think FACTS are open to interpretation, and that speculation is a solid basis for criticism .
    I wish any poster the best of luck, But Again, it is typical of NEO CON tactics. Blaze away with the ideas, when they condradict everything previously stated, Put fingers in ears and YAYAYYAYAYAYAYA
    Ciao for now.
    AH:mad::eek::(:confused:

Eh what are you talking about... thats the whole point they are being trained tatically, they are receiving armour and are receiving a wide range of ammunition all from Iran, that is why there is so much mayhem in Iraq.

Blaming it all on a rag-tag bunch of people is ludicrous. The US are just going to have to stand up and be counted for their part in this mayhem. Bad planning, bad intelligence, lies, deceit, mis-representation, it's all there.
    Eh not everything thats poisonous to crops is poisonous to people. And I believe the US president was assured it was non lethal to people. So no it was not premeditated murder.

This is the crux of the matter, "the US president did not know" is all too often used as a shield to deflect away from staffers who did know. Executive privilege is invoked, nobody takes responsibility.

People in that administration did know that Orange was harmful. They happen to work for the US government, who happen to represent the US abroad. I call that premeditated.

The only reason the US are talking to N.Korea now is that they have nuclear weapons. The fact that North Korea can now posture with nuclear weapons is not a good thing seeing as they are what would definitely be considered an unstable, rogue state.

Wrong.

They were talking long before the test last year.

I'm not saying it wasn't under the UN flag but lets call a spade a spade it was a US operation

I do call spades' "spades". UN sanctioned, NATO controlled.

Edit ; just noticed you were banned

What? Is that a gloat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Cheers for sorting out Kaiser, If you want to ban me for the imbecile thing, fire away. But I was deadly serious about the last post. He's making the thread ridiculous. I'm not being racist or anti-zionist or Anti American about it.
    But there is no discussion possible with somebody who disputes recorded fact. Especially if the person in question has not read the same documents, Which I seriously suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭FYI

America have intercepted large caches of weapons coming from Iran, have caught Iranian Elite Army members in an insurgent base in Iraq, have uncovered blah blah blah

Shall we refer to someone that's 'fairly' uncontroversial:

"David Miliband, the British Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, had this to say to the Financial Times on the subject of Iranian complicity in Iraq’s violence:

FT: What do you think of Iran’s complicity in attacks on British soldiers in Basra?

DM: Well, I think that any evidence of Iranian engagement there is to be deplored. I think that we need regional players to be supporting stability, not fomenting discord, never mind death. And as I said at the beginning, Iran has a complete right, and we support the idea that Iran should be a wealthy and respected part of the future. But it does not have the right to be a force of instability.

FT: Just to be clear, there is evidence?

DM: Well no, I chose my words carefully…

FT: I know, but I’m now asking you.

DM: Well as you know, we are very careful about what we say about these things."

http://www.mediabite.org/article_Tipping-the-balance-west_959696573.html

Blaming it all on a rag-tag bunch of people is ludicrous. The US are just going to have to stand up and be counted for their part in this mayhem. Bad planning, bad intelligence, lies, deceit, mis-representation, it's all there.

But you see its not a rag-tag bunch of people if they are being trained by Elite Iranian Army units and being armed by the Iranian government. Bad planning, intelligence etc. can be blamed for an insurgency but it cannot be blamed for the effectiveness of the current insurgency which thanks to Iranian support is killing thousands people

This is the crux of the matter, "the US president did not know" is all too often used as a shield to deflect away from staffers who did know. Executive privilege is invoked, nobody takes responsibility.

People in that administration did know that Orange was harmful. They happen to work for the US government, who happen to represent the US abroad. I call that premeditated.

They knew it was slightly harmful if inhaled regularly but they didn't know it was in anyway lethal
    Wrong.

They were talking long before the test last year.

Yes when the US knew that N.Korea were very close to developing the bomb and were now powerless to stop the inevitable.

I do call spades' "spades". UN sanctioned, NATO controlled.

the phrase calling a spade a spade means not calling it what it is deemed but calling it what it really is.

The UN mission was an American operation, Run by America, supplied by America, Done by America with minimal help.

What? Is that a gloat?

Nope just didn't want anyone thinking I had replied knowing you were banned and knowing that you could not reply to defend your points. No need to be cynical.. that goes for your take on America as well.

Wow, The only poster with the patience to try and have a logical arguement about this topic and US behaviour has been banned, Please note that the Childish behaviour here was initiated by SpAcEd Out, who has posted a wide range of gibberish and circular irrelevant arguements. I will not request that his messages be reviewed or report them as they are a shining example of total blind ignorance of documented facts, while quoting from known speculative web-based sources of polls and other unverifiable nonsense. This post is not abusive to the individual posting, but rather to the irresponsible and frustrating nature of the posts.
    I would request that the moderator restore Kaiser Sauze with whatever other disciplinary measures still in place and a caution about personal abuse, I don't think that it will do any good, But whoever is posting as SpAcEd Out is playing a passive aggressive role, rubbishing accepted facts from Neutral sources for rhumour and speculation.
    This behaviour cannot ever yield a decent discussion, This will be my last post on the topic. Please do not remove it or my ability to post on this forum as maybe this poster has some particular reason why they seem to think FACTS are open to interpretation, and that speculation is a solid basis for criticism .
    I wish any poster the best of luck, But Again, it is typical of NEO CON tactics. Blaze away with the ideas, when they condradict everything previously stated, Put fingers in ears and YAYAYYAYAYAYAYA
    Ciao for now.
    AH:mad::eek::(:confused:

Easy way out instead of addressing my points against yours you write this

what would have been more constructive

FYI wrote: »
    Shall we refer to someone that's 'fairly' uncontroversial:

"David Miliband, the British Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, had this to say to the Financial Times on the subject of Iranian complicity in Iraq’s violence:

FT: What do you think of Iran’s complicity in attacks on British soldiers in Basra?

DM: Well, I think that any evidence of Iranian engagement there is to be deplored. I think that we need regional players to be supporting stability, not fomenting discord, never mind death. And as I said at the beginning, Iran has a complete right, and we support the idea that Iran should be a wealthy and respected part of the future. But it does not have the right to be a force of instability.

FT: Just to be clear, there is evidence?

DM: Well no, I chose my words carefully…

FT: I know, but I’m now asking you.

DM: Well as you know, we are very careful about what we say about these things."

http://www.mediabite.org/article_Tipping-the-balance-west_959696573.html

That source is heavily edited I would like to see the full transcript because it seems that he is not denying it but the article has edited out the rest. Also this article could have been before the latest developments, despite the editing he still seems to have suspicions.

Post the full transcript and I'll discuss it

• Advertisement

Also I am not appreciating how people are only quoting very select parts of my posts to address. just one example is when Kaizer scoffed at my notion that America provided free healthcare to struggling nations, I provided a link and it was completely ignored in his responding post, not looking at Kaizer in particular but but that is just one example. I try address every point made against me may I suggest instead of chosing to address points that suit your cause you address all of them.

Anyways I won't be on this till Monday good luck to you all I expect to read some interesting responses.

Advertisement