Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Jesus exist?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

conor2007 wrote: »
    have you seen this document?

Oh of course I have, right after I wiped my BBQ sauce hands on the Bill of Rights.

I have read about it in books. The only one that springs to mind is a Joespeh O' Connor Book 'Secret Diary of the Irish Male'. The index would probably show you where you get a more indepth anaylsis of the documents. Im not sure if they still exist in their original today but they have been written about for the last 2000 years or so I read.

I think its the most likely interpretation of events too. But then again im no genius. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

neither am i - far from it

as from what i have read - it has not been seen - this document

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

lol - facts as per usual when ''scientific'' people put up their arguments

LOL... No. Im not even remotely scientific, i just think if there was a god he wouldnt get paedophiles to spread his word.. it just sends out the wrong message imo.

There is nothing at all, to suggest or prove the existance of god or jaysus. If you can give me one, that doesnt require faith.. i'll concede defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

proove to me ''the big bang'' ?

if you are going to just ask for proof and not give proof for your ''belief'' - i see no point ..

the fact that earth is exactly the right distance for life - pretty unlikely to happen ''on its own''

I could give you tonnes of information that the theory of the big bang is well founded, however i think it would be wasted on you.

The difference between a belief in god and science is god requires blind faith, where the laws of science requires evidence, somthing that Religion has failed to do.

I dont think you understand the size of the Universe, and that the size of our galaxy alone is gigantic, yet dwarfed by the known size of the universe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

snyper wrote: »
    I dont think you understand the size of the Universe, and that the size of our galaxy alone is gigantic, yet dwarfed by the known size of the universe.

But that's why we need a god, because our minds can't comprehend it all.

A man called Jesus did exist, he was jewish and from his existance came Christianity. If you are a good "Christian" does it matter who or what Jesus was? Generally speaking teachings of Christianity are (Along with most religions) pretty good, it is the delivery that has been corrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

neither am i - far from it

as from what i have read - it has not been seen - this document

I have blind faith in it the same way some have a blind faith in God and.

A man called Jesus did exist, he was jewish and from his existance came Christianity. If you are a good "Christian" does it matter who or what Jesus was? Generally speaking teachings of Christianity are (Along with most religions) pretty good, it is the delivery that has been corrupted.

Ver batum, you sound like my father :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

But that's why we need a god, because our minds can't comprehend it all.
    I could never comprehend Calculus in school but the guy sitting beside me could, do I need a God that he doesn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Lux23 wrote: »
    According to documents called Q written 50 years after he was born he never claimed to be the son of god. So no I don't.

At the end of the day though if you are someone who has faith in God and all that jazz it hardly all matters that its highly illogical that he exists, its all justifed in your own mind through faith alone.

The document called 'Q' is a hypothetical document that form critics use to explain literary relationships between the Gospel. Since no-one has ever seen a copy of this hypothetical document it would be impossible for anyone to know what it actually taught. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hagar wrote: »
    I could never comprehend Calculus in school but the guy sitting beside me could, do I need a God that he doesn't?

Calculus, God, the Universe, the workings of the female mind, some things we just have to accept are beyond us:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ain't that the truth. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

the fact that earth is exactly the right distance for life - pretty unlikely to happen ''on its own''

Not really. If the earth wasn't at the right distance from the sun (the so-called goldilocks zone), well we wouldn't be here to ponder that question in the first place would we? In other words it's hardly a surprise that we find ourselves in a universe that satisfies the requirements for our existence.

To say it's "unlikely to happen on it's own", you haven't thought about that. There are countless billions of stars, it stands to reason that some of them would have planets in the habitable zone, just by chance. (remember also that what we consider as a habitable zone is based on current human understanding of life, with no reference other than life here on earth).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

there is evidence of jesus existence

Where? There is not one independent, contemporary mention of Jesus. All mentions of him from anywhere near his time are those of people trying to spread a cult, and there are numerous factual errors in those writings. Whether a man actually existed or not, there is no evidence of it at the moment.

Advertisement