Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you like chinese food?

• 04-12-2007 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

hi, i am a chinese guy, studying in DBS as a full time student, cooking is my habit, there are a lot of chinese restaurants around country, i just wondering why people dont learn how to cook chinese dish themselves, it's very health food, cheap to buy ingredients, and easy to learn. so if you want, i can post some easy start recipes here, hope you like it. any suggestions?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Oooh I'd like to know how to cook chinese food!!! That would save me a small fortune.

House special kung po is my very favourite but would make an attempt at any recipe you post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Some nice dishes with chicken would be great. looking forward to these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've always wanted to cook more Chinese food - just not really sure how to do it. I've started cooking stir-frys with some success, would love some more recipes from you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I too would love some chinese recipes, my fave dishes are szechuan/kung po/black bean chicken/beef whatever but I'd be willing to attempt nearly anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

whufee wrote: »
    hi, i am a chinese guy, studying in DBS as a full time student, cooking is my habit, there are a lot of chinese restaurants around country, i just wondering why people dont learn how to cook chinese dish themselves, it's very health food, cheap to buy ingredients, and easy to learn. so if you want, i can post some easy start recipes here, hope you like it. any suggestions?:D

3 recipes that are a must are chicken fried rice , chicken curry and most important how do you make curry sauce like you get in the takeaway's.

ooohhh i am getting hungry just thinking about them :D

• Advertisement

ambman wrote: »
    3 recipes that are a must are chicken fried rice , chicken curry and most important how do you make curry sauce like you get in the takeaway's.

You can get it in the oriental food shops. Mmm... long tray!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

olaola wrote: »
    You can get it in the oriental food shops. Mmm... long tray!

with fried rice MMMMMNNNNNN;)

I adore chinese food.
    I do use my local chinese foodstore for things like rice, noodle, pak choi, sprouted soya beans, tofu. I'm so predictable the girl picks out my veg for me when I come into the shop.
    Can you recommend any products, that I might be missing out because I don't know what they are?
    I really only make satay sauce myself. Sweet sauces don't do it for me.

Have you you any tips for flavoring tofu?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love chinese food. The thing is, the stuff you get in takeaways is usually stuffed full of MSGs to make it taste the way it does. If you make it yourself, it'll taste far different. It'd be much healthier though! I'd love some recipes too, OP. I <3 chow mein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭whufee

thanks for all replies. ;)
    from now on, i will post some good recipes in here, and hope i can make friends as well, haha ;) by the way, my english name is Edge,{a irish name haha}

but before we start, personal speaking i do not use MSGs at all, it is fact that chefs both in here and china use it to improve taste. but it is not nature, so my mum and dad never use MSGs at home. so do i, haha. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm not a big fan of Chinese at all. I think it's the way it's made here though. I do love noodles, cooked simply (stir-fried etc) so if you hsve any recipes like that I'd give them a go!

I'm going to Malaysia in a few months and apparently the food there is lovely. lots of noodles etc so I'm looking forward to trying that to see do I like it more than asian food at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Yes.
    Until it starts to digest!!!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Where in China are you from? Does your family region have a big influence on your style of cooking?

Minder wrote: »
    Where in China are you from? Does your family region have a big influence on your style of cooking?

a place call TaiYuan 太原, the capital of ShanXi province 山西省, try to google it, the noodles and vinegar in there are the best in the country.[ but not like here, noodles are not always use to stir fry. i will post pictures haha]
    http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/shanxi/taiyuan/dining.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Great. Could you tell me how to prepare ad cook lotus root. I can get fresh in China town (London) but not sure what to look for and how to cook. Thanks

Minder wrote: »
    Great. Could you tell me how to prepare ad cook lotus root. I can get fresh in China town (London) but not sure what to look for and how to cook. Thanks

i only know two dishes about cooking lotus root, here is a easy one for you, if you like cold dish. lotus root is the best and so easy to prepare.
    1. skin off the root and slice it about 2mm thick.
    2. blanching (put into the boiling water for 2 minutes, if cut is thicker then 3-5 minutes) the root and then washed by cold water.
    3. fine-cut some garlic, ginger (say 5mg for 1lb lotus root) put them into a small bowl, add in white vinegar (if you dont have, just use normal one) a bit salt, sugar (depend on personal taste) sesame oil, 1 spoon of lite soy sauce and mix all ingredients together.
    4.mix root with mixture

is there any chinese cookery school in ireland? i think the best way of learning is going to there. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I can recommend one very good cooking book which really helped me cook chinese food much better. It really opened my eyes to using good seasoning. It's called The Food of China and has some lovely descriptions of how duck is roasted and other famous chinese foodstuffs are prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I love cooking it, very fast and tasty. You will hear loads of people saying "oh takeaways are nothing like real chinese food" and some are only guessing.

I have been there several times and brought to good restaurants & open air markets etc by chinese people and a lot of dishes are similar to some here. Depends on region a bit, but I usually find there is no thick sauces on dishes there, so if you are making uncle ben sauces it will not be similar. It can be dry or have a very dilute soy based sauce.

Many peoples idea of "chinese" here is "chicken curry & fried rice" :rolleyes: or worse you see the scumbags eyeing the menu for 10minutes, "will I have the szechuan duck", and then trotting out the old "ah sure give use chicken balls, curry sauce, chips":D

If you look at a chinese takeaway menu there are loads of dishes, and most have only bothered trying a handful. And it just happens that many of the popular ones are the ones which are not like "real" ones, i.e. ones with thicker sauces tend to be more popular, they are usually bigger portions as the container is the same size and a sauce fills it fully, maybe this is why people go for them more. Many are put off by the simplistic names, like "chicken & beansprouts", as though you are only going to get what it says, chicken, beansprouts and nothing else. Also some dishes have no descriptions like "cantonese chicken" (gorgeous).

Just ask the guy behind the counter, some encourage it. I found treasures on the hill on stillorgan to be good, many customers are always questioning the dishes and ask for different specifics. I find the food there is always crisp and not stewed like some places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 gillybeans

I Love chow mein but iv found the meet does be soaked in something first and its very jelly like. I have asked a few takaways around my area would they just do the noodles with the chow mein sauce but they wont :mad: I have also tried buying chow mein sauce from the supermarket but it tastes nothing like the one from the take away. Would love to know how they make it!!!

• Advertisement

gillybeans wrote: »
    I Love chow mein but iv found the meet does be soaked in something first and its very jelly like. I have asked a few takaways around my area would they just do the noodles with the chow mein sauce but they wont :mad: I have also tried buying chow mein sauce from the supermarket but it tastes nothing like the one from the take away. Would love to know how they make it!!!

depend on what kind of chao mian [=CHow mein, but this is the real words for it] you r lookin for? And to be honest, real chinese food do not have any particular sauce for cooking chaomian only. so tell me what it likes, and then i can figure out for you, bud! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

depend on what kind of chao mian [=CHow mein, but this is the real words for it] you r lookin for? And to be honest, real chinese food do not have any particular sauce for cooking chaomian only. so tell me what it likes, and then i can figure out for you, bud! ;)

I like chinese food, it's particularly tasty. What do you think of the way the food is cooked in chinese restaurants in Dublin? As far as I know the chinese food outside China is pretty different from the one inside; that's normal because the european taste is different but I'd like to know what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I met a guy from Killybegs one time, he had just come back from China on a business trip.
    I asked him what he thought of the food and he exclaimed that the food wasn't as good as the chinese takeaway in Killybegs!
    Any country with over a billion people is going to have some range of foods. from the cantonese style that is common in takeaways here to the north of China where there is more wheat based food types.
    One thing that I really like and that is not at all common here is a steamboat, it is basically a hot broth in the centre of the table, on the table are lots of different types of meat, veg, and seafood.
    The food is cooked in small metal baskets that are placed in the broth and removed when cooked, great fun and very social.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I have a question(for everyone really!), I hate sweet sauce on food(save sugar for desert ffs) and I always wanna try new stuff but this makes it very difficult! Could anyone tell me which chinese dishes to avoid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Avoid anything with sweet in the title obviously, and anything with honey in it.

I'd love a decent lemon chicken recipe. Most of the lemon chicken you get in takeaways is composed of a battered, fried chicken breast which is then sliced, and served with a sauce that looks all the world like lemon curd.

When I make it myself, I beat one egg with a teaspoon of cornflour, slice a chicken breast, dip the slices in the egg and flour mixture, then flash fry them in a wok and put them to one side. Cut them very thin, so they'll be cooked through when fried.

The sauce is usually a combination of chicken stock, soy sauce, rice wine (or sherry), a tsp of thick brown sugar, a big slug of chili sauce (because I like chili), and a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice. The sugar doesn't make it sweet, it just offsets the lemon.

Put all of the sauce ingredients in a jug or bowl. Mix them up. Pour them into the hot wok after the chicken pieces have been fried (remove the oil first, depending how much you used for the chicken). Stir the sauce around to heat it through. You can add a mixture of 1tsp cornflour and a touch water and whisk it in - it will immediatley start to thicken the sauce and make it glossy. Then I return the chicken to the sauce for a minute to heat through. (Hence why the thin slices that cook quickly - if you leave it in the sauce for too long the chicken coating becomes soggy).

I serve that with rice noodles and sliced cucumber, and grate a little lemon zest over the chicken to serve, but it could go with anything really. The rice wine adds a very piquant edge to the sauce that steals the show.

I'm well open to any other lemon chicken recipes though, there seem to be a lot of them... (and we have a lemon tree in the back garden, if I'm honest.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Recipes! Gimmie gimmie gimmie! :D I love anything savoury and especially noodley *nods*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My lemon chicken recipe is similar to yours

lemon juice
    sesame oil
    shao xing wine (not sure of the spelling)
    a little salt and sugar

I mix this up and then flash fry the pre-cooked chicken in it. To thicken it, I use a tiny bit of cornflour mixed with a tiny amount of water.

I like chinese food, it's particularly tasty. What do you think of the way the food is cooked in chinese restaurants in Dublin? As far as I know the chinese food outside China is pretty different from the one inside; that's normal because the european taste is different but I'd like to know what you think.

you are absolutly right !!!!
    i think it is no good, where the same restaurent has 2 types of menu, one for chinese, one for european, it is not right, cuz there are actually two different food !!![however we have to pay a bit more, but taste is much better] but i have to say, the proper food you may not like it at all. haha. all my irish friends know this,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I met a guy from Killybegs one time, he had just come back from China on a business trip.
    I asked him what he thought of the food and he exclaimed that the food wasn't as good as the chinese takeaway in Killybegs!

He might be more used to it. Also the chinese cooks might have made it different thinking he would prefer it. When I was there people bringing me out were convinced I didnt like Chinese food, kept asking if I wanted to go to "western" restaurants. In some places there were menus with pictures, and and all the stuff in chinese looked great, the stuff in english didnt look great, had to ask the people I was with to translate the good looking stuff. I was also given bags of luke warm UHT milk, and tins of pate, thinking I would like it.

What was great was many places had the dishes in cabinets, so you could see exactly what you were going to get, i.e. they had one cold sample there on show, and obviously cooked fresh.

• Advertisement

you are absolutly right !!!!
    i think it is no good, where the same restaurent has 2 types of menu, one for chinese, one for european, it is not right, cuz there are actually two different food !!![however we have to pay a bit more, but taste is much better] but i have to say, the proper food you may not like it at all. haha. all my irish friends know this,,,,

I'd love to know what to order from the 'proper' chinese menu!
    You should tell us where to go & what to order!

Advertisement