Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you like chinese food?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Any chicken curry recipes would be great ;) Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭whufee

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Any chicken curry recipes would be great ;) Cheers

here is people goes wrong, i dont know why, western people[no offence] think any curry dishes belong to chinese cuisine, the answer is no. we[all chinese ppl]
    think thats indian course, the only place you can find curry in china is an indian style restaurant. i have some curry recipes here, if you want to i can post in here, ;) but im not sure it is better than indian curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

I've only just started cooking and would love to hear of any good chinese recipes in plain english for a beginner like myself. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Personally if I want to make a chinese-style curry, I use Wing Yip Curry Sauce Concentrate in the 250g jar. Just add hot water - it turns into the stuff you get on a beef curry, or even the sauce for a curry chips.

whufee wrote: »
    here is people goes wrong, i dont know why, western people[no offence] think any curry dishes belong to chinese cuisine, the answer is no. we[all chinese ppl]
    think thats indian course, the only place you can find curry in china is an indian style restaurant. i have some curry recipes here, if you want to i can post in here, ;) but im not sure it is better than indian curry.

I'm hungry where's my Chinese??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think Dave might have been joking, hence the ;)

I was asking a guy about 30 in China if he had ever had a curry, every time we ate he was always getting extra spicy/hot food yet had never tasted a curry in his life. Dunnes do a own brand "chinese curry" sauce which tastes the most similar to chinese takeaway currys of all jars I have tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I remember eating a special noodle soup at the Jasmine House in Bray. It contained a mixture of meats, some water chestnut and bamboo shoot, bean sprouts, noodles and a couple of prawns. All in a broth. It had been nearly 20 years since I had it, but I tried to replicate it one night. Got pretty close. One thing missing - the braised red pork, thinly sliced. It has a halo of pink/red dye around the outside of the pork. Now a recipe for that would be good!!!

I have tried a few different packet marinades for a similar result, but they were Thai and not what I remember.

Whufee, any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

hi, i am a chinese guy, studying in DBS as a full time student, cooking is my habit, there are a lot of chinese restaurants around country, i just wondering why people dont learn how to cook chinese dish themselves, it's very health food, cheap to buy ingredients, and easy to learn. so if you want, i can post some easy start recipes here, hope you like it. any suggestions?:D

Do you have a recipie for Kung Po Chicken?

Cheers,
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

oh yummy! love it love iot love it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

rubadub wrote: »
    Dunnes do a own brand "chinese curry" sauce which tastes the most similar to chinese takeaway currys of all jars I have tried.

I tried this last night and really enjoyed it ! You're right, it's the most similar to the chinese takeaway curries I have tasted too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

I watched a program on BBC2 last night on how easy it is to cook Chinese food. The chef showed just how much fat/salt/sugar is in a portion of sweet and sour pork. I nearly died when I saw it.

I went to the Oriental market on Jervis at lunch time and bought my supplies. I have to say the price of things in there are very good. Ill be back for sure.

Ill be trying my hand at Beef in oyster sauce tonight.. yum. No more MSG for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That would be http://www.bbc.co.uk/chinesefoodmadeeasy/

I watched it myself and thought it was pretty good, will be tuning in next week.
    Just made her chicken chow mein (slightly modified) and my tongue entered taste heaven, without doubt the best tasting chow mein I've EVER eaten :)

Tomorrow I'm going to try the beef in oyster sauce recipe.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Chinese Food Made Easy on in a few mins (20:30) on BBC2, highly recommend tuning in!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

I have lived in Taiwan for many years and real Chinese (or Taiwanese) food is quite different from the bland greasy stuff you get in takeaways in Ireland, which is more of a mix of fast food, sugar/salt, Indian curry and a few veggies thrown in (not all restaurants, I'm sure there are more and more authentic restaurants now). Visiting China on a business trip for a couple of weeks would be hard to actually get anything good sometimes or have the time to find the stuff you like. You would just be eating in hotels or what people think you might like to eat as an above poster mentioned, it's so different to the food of home that it takes a while to figure out what you like and don't like, plus you can't read/know how to order anything at the start.
    A lot of people don't understand Chinese food has a vast array of different dishes and cooking styles as China is a very big place from the cold north (dumplings/noodles) to tropical south (spicy, rice based, western desert (bbq style) and eastern coastal seafood, and even this is a gross exaggeration.
    What makes Chinese food so great are the fresh ingredients that are used and also the wide variety of ingredients. They also use a lot of fresh, dried, spicy and fermented foods which we wouldn't be used to in Ireland, while it takes a while to get used to these foods or subtle flavours (or not so subtle), they really bring you on a new flavour journey.
    I don't believe there is anybody that could say 'I don't like Chinese food', the question should be, 'do you like dumplings'?, do you like hotpot? do you like cantonese? do you like szechuan spicy food? Do you like Chinese seafood? Do you like yunnan food? Do you like Hakka food... and on and on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

think thats indian course, the only place you can find curry in china is an indian style restaurant.

I know what you're saying but Japan does have some good curries also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

you are absolutly right !!!!
    i think it is no good, where the same restaurent has 2 types of menu, one for chinese, one for european, it is not right, cuz there are actually two different food !!![however we have to pay a bit more, but taste is much better] but i have to say, the proper food you may not like it at all. haha. all my irish friends know this,,,,

Oriental food tends to be different not only from the country of origin but from European country to European country. A Chinese dish in Paris will look and taste nothing like one bought in Dublin (prob some exceptions I'm sure). The restaurant owners always have to alter what they serve for the local market so in Paris you don't often find chicken curry, almost never find black-bean sauce, and had to explain to a friend one say why it wasn't possible to get chips with her pork sweet 'n sour :)

In the same way that an Irish person visiting an 'Irish' restaurant in Paris would be surprised to see things like 'Boxty' and 'Colcannon' on the menu. And even then it'll have been altered slightly for the French market.

In saying that we do have 2 fine Chinatowns where the food is usually very authentic and therefore 'different' (less sauce, less meat) and I'm tempted to say 'more plain' but that would suggest that it wasn't tasty which IMO isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

Ponster wrote: »
    I know what you're saying but Japan does have some good curries also.

Yes agreed, Japanese curry can be good sometimes.
    Actually GuangDong province which includes Hong Kong also has curry dishes and that is one of the major reasons you will find Chinese curry in Ireland because almost all the old Chinese restaurants were opened by immigrants from Hong Kong. Of course they also adapted the curry to local tastes as other poster mentioned, localization of food is a common phenomenom and the same things happens if you are ordering western food in Asia!

Advertisement