Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is North Galway really like? (N17 area)

Options
  • 04-12-2007 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am planning on moving to somewhere along the N17 between Claregalway and Tuam (not definite of an area, but possibly Corofin). But, being from Dublin don't really know the area at all yet.

I'd really like to get some honest opinions and advice on the area. Where good, where is dodgy. I've heard a lot of spiel about knacker and trouble filled Tuam and wonder
    1. If it is true, and :(
    2. If it is how bad, and :(:(
    3. If true is the surrounding area/towns/villages bad too?:eek:

Also, any other pointers on the area - nicer villages, places to avoid....:confused:

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Corofin is a nice spot. You'd love it if you were into Gaelic Football because the they live on it. A lot of nice houses down there for sale at the moment. Check out Daft.ie. The only think is the traffic on the N17 especially through Claregalway is heart breaking but they will be a solution in the next few years.
    Corofin is a Village and Tuam is a town. Tuam is the fastest town in Ireland.........tuuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmm

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you like your countryside it's alright around the Tuam area. You have all the amenities like swimming pool and gym, more pubs than you can shake a stick at and your not really that far from Galway, even with traffic your looking at 40 minutes.

The biggest drawback with housing is, outside the towns you've nice houses but then you need a car to get around, inside the towns you've got crappy estates thrown up in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

Thanks for the feedback guys. Seen a lot of the houses, and have our eyes on one particular one. Just trying to suss out the area befroe we put in an offer. Scary big move etc. etc.

sgthighway - hopefully we will have better jokes when we are down inthe fastest town, wah wah wahhhh!

ScumLord - we both drive so should be fine from that side of it. Mostly just hoping the locals are friendly and not all nutters :mad: and there isn't some mad city sized pig farm or sewage works planned! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

How bout a Dublin point of view.
    I've been living in Galway 10 years, the city first, then Atherny (Great little Town) & have recently moved out the cuntry side to a place called Lavally, Tuam.

It'll be a culture shock if you've never lived in the counrty side before. Tuam town is fine, a few nice shops, alot of pubs( we're still woking our way through), some supermarkets & a few take aways.

If you like to see cows over your garden fence, then counrty living is for you. A quick tip, get the milk on the way home from work a few miles to the shop is a pain when all you want is a cup of tea.

Good luck with the move
    Ami

Thanks Ami

Yeah, first time living in the country. A bit freaked at the idea, but I am hoping the quality of life will be a bit better. Just a bit freaked I'll pick the wrong area. What was the receptin from locals beign a dub? I lived in Limerick for a few years about 10 or so years ago and was constantly getting grief over being a "f**kin Dublin c**t", or maybe I just was one! lol

Good advice on the milk. Of course couldn't I just milk one of the cows leanign over my wall?

• Advertisement

Ah D2G,
    You will soon learn:D not all cows are for milking :L

Galway natives are great once they get to know you.
    I might get in trouble for saying but to start off with they can be Stand offish & even appear snobish but I think they just like to get the measure of you first. In saying that they're not all that way & i have lots of Galway friends.

You'll gain a new skill down here, you'll be able to pick out a dublin accent form across a crowded pub:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Good advice on the milk. Of course couldn't I just milk one of the cows leanign over my wall?
    Of course, if you like very creamy, warm, unprocessed milk. Jayz I remember when our local milkman used to deliver the milk to us in those glass bottles and the cream had settled on the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

ScumLord wrote: »
    Of course, if you like very creamy, warm, unprocessed milk. Jayz I remember when our local milkman used to deliver the milk to us in those glass bottles and the cream had settled on the top.

Aha!! so someone else is "mature enough in years" to remember that too! :D

The downside was that pesky birds would peck through the top & have a creamy breakfast.

back on topic, unless you're a complete d*ckhead, you'll find County Galway a pleasant & friendly place to live. Good luck, OP.

Amimad wrote: »
    You'll gain a new skill down here, you'll be able to pick out a dublin accent form across a crowded pub:)

It's everyone picking mine out I am more worried about!

Gone sale agreed there Thursday so hopefully will not fall through, and we will be down there in the new year....discovering what you can do with cows other than milk them:confused: (eat them?)

big b wrote: »
    Aha!! so someone else is "mature enough in years" to remember that too! :D

The downside was that pesky birds would peck through the top & have a creamy breakfast.

back on topic, unless you're a complete d*ckhead, you'll find County Galway a pleasant & friendly place to live. Good luck, OP.

Yep, found it pleasant and friendly so far. If I change my mind it's a bit late now. Still, looking good. cant wait now...

• Advertisement

d2g,
    agreed there Thursday
    Fingers crossed;)
    Let us know how you get on,& where the new house is.
    Merry Christmas & Good luck.
    Ami

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Pity I didn't read this earlier...I'm a Tuamie and live on a road full of knackers if I'll be honest and have never had one bit of trouble at all from them.

How you getting on?

Thanks everyone for the advice. We are back to the drawing board. A right pain as we had our heats set.:(

People selling to us didn't follow their planning permission so we can't buy that house. We are back looking. Heading down Saturday to look at 3 places - one in Hedford beside lough Corrib, one a little outside Claregalway and one near Corofin.

Any pointers on those locations? :confused:

Also saw one the far side of Tuam, but figure (even thought it's lovely) the traffic between Tuam and Claregalway would make it a killer comute to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I'm a Dub, living in Galway for just over 10 years now. I'm settled here with two young kids. We're living off the N17 (actually between Headford and Belclare).

Tip number one: You're a Dub, and you always will be, get used to it. Wear the blue with pride, but you will take stick for it.

Galway is easily the most clannish part of Ireland (It's called the city of tribes for a good reason). That aside, they're an easy enough bunch to get on with, and all my Neighbours are blow-ins - they're virtually no natives living within a stone's throw of me.

Tuam isn't a bad spot at all, and vastly improved since I first came here. In fact, I find it preferable to Galway city.

As for specifics on the places you mentioned. Anywhere near the Corrib is probably way overpriced, as is Corofin, but it's a nice place. Headford isn't a bad spot either (I'm about 4 miles from it), but as with anywhere outside Dublin, if the town/pub/shop isn't walking distance to your house, then you may as well be in the middle of nowhere. One mile away is the same as five miles away - you still have to get into a car to get there. Bear this in mind.

My commute in to work is getting slower, but 25-30 minutes for 17.5 miles from my house into Parkmore isn't bad.

Anything else I can do, just post back or PM me.

Jaden wrote: »
    I'm a Dub, living in Galway for just over 10 years now. I'm settled here with two young kids. We're living off the N17 (actually between Headford and Belclare).

Tip number one: You're a Dub, and you always will be, get used to it. Wear the blue with pride, but you will take stick for it.

Galway is easily the most clannish part of Ireland (It's called the city of tribes for a good reason). That aside, they're an easy enough bunch to get on with, and all my Neighbours are blow-ins - they're virtually no natives living within a stone's throw of me.

Tuam isn't a bad spot at all, and vastly improved since I first came here. In fact, I find it preferable to Galway city.

As for specifics on the places you mentioned. Anywhere near the Corrib is probably way overpriced, as is Corofin, but it's a nice place. Headford isn't a bad spot either (I'm about 4 miles from it), but as with anywhere outside Dublin, if the town/pub/shop isn't walking distance to your house, then you may as well be in the middle of nowhere. One mile away is the same as five miles away - you still have to get into a car to get there. Bear this in mind.

My commute in to work is getting slower, but 25-30 minutes for 17.5 miles from my house into Parkmore isn't bad.

Anything else I can do, just post back or PM me.

Thanks Jaden. Some good points there. May take you up on the PM offer whn I have more Qs.:)

D2G,
    A simiular thing happened with the house we were after last year, but we did find a great house in the same location.
    We had a good experince with two auctioneers, both showed us numerous properties on Sats which was great.
    We ended up buying in Lavally, Tuam from Sherry Fitzgerald, Mannion, Kevin there was great,(he even left us a bottle of wine for xmas).
    David Moggan is very good in the locality aswell.
    Both have websites, so give them a look.
    Bring you digital camera, it'll help later to remind you what you looked at.
    Have a look at anything in you price range, you never know what you might find:)
    Good luck with the hunt

Ami

Amimad wrote: »
    D2G,
    A simiular thing happened with the house we were after last year, but we did find a great house in the same location.
    We had a good experince with two auctioneers, both showed us numerous properties on Sats which was great.
    We ended up buying in Lavally, Tuam from Sherry Fitzgerald, Mannion, Kevin there was great,(he even left us a bottle of wine for xmas).
    David Moggan is very good in the locality aswell.
    Both have websites, so give them a look.
    Bring you digital camera, it'll help later to remind you what you looked at.
    Have a look at anything in you price range, you never know what you might find:)
    Good luck with the hunt

Ami

Thanks Ami

Yes, dealt with Kevin at one point. Very nice guy. Overall actually had no probs so far with auctioneers. Had one who was 0% intersted but that was fine as we weren't mad about the house.
    Good idea with digital camera. Do auctioneers mind you taking pics? Had thought of that a while back when we first looked but thought they'd say no. I guess if you dont ask etc...!

However, if you do go with Corofin you can cross back towards Turloughmore and Cregmore to Carnmore and voila! no Claregalway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

mars bar wrote: »
    However, if you do go with Corofin you can cross back towards Turloughmore and Cregmore to Carnmore and voila! no Claregalway!

Until it rains..... :)

Yeah, and it never rains in the West! :rolleyes:

We went to see one place out near Craughwell and couldn't even get to it the roads were so flooded. It could have been lovely, but I'd have had to fork out for a boat as well as everything else...:D

• Advertisement

True I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Yeah, and it never rains in the West! :rolleyes:

Was talking to a woman from Dublin one time and she said this: "People told me I'd miss my friends, the shops, the cinema but I didn't miss any of it. Mind you, one day it started raining and it didn't stop for 6 weeks!"

Better get used to it ;)

BTW, I'm Galway city born and bred, moved to Tuam 5 years ago. Now living on an estate with Irish, Polish, Lithuanians, Pakistanis, Blacks, Whites, Travellers and even people from Dublin :) and apart from the odd "singer" walking back from the pub at 3 in the morning on a Fri/Sat, it's one of the quietest places I've ever lived.

Tuam is a grand little town, it's got (almost) everything you'd want, and it reminds me what Galway used to be like, with people having a bit more time for you here.

Good luck if/when you do move.

serfboard wrote: »
    Was talking to a woman from Dublin one time and she said this: "People told me I'd miss my friends, the shops, the cinema but I didn't miss any of it. Mind you, one day it started raining and it didn't stop for 6 weeks!"
    Brilliant! lmao

Yeah, defo moving. And not ruling Tuam out at all. Only reason we might not go for it is distance from Galway for work. Hard to find a house at the moment too - nothing new coming on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 KMSL

!!!!!! DON'T BUY YEAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's a buyers market out there know. Try going energy efficent if possible. You will not be sorry.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Brilliant! lmao

Yeah, defo moving. And not ruling Tuam out at all. Only reason we might not go for it is distance from Galway for work. Hard to find a house at the moment too - nothing new coming on the market.

Lots of new houses where i live, Lackaghmore / Turloughmore area, 11 miles from Galway. selling for about 420 K upwards now, but it is a buyers market.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Lots of new houses where i live, Lackaghmore / Turloughmore area, 11 miles from Galway. selling for about 420 K upwards now, but it is a buyers market.

Yeah, actually looking at one over there this weekend.

Decided to log/blog our adventure buying down there so it can help anyone else trying to move to Galway from Dublin (or anywhere I guess!)

http://movegalway.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yeah, actually looking at one over there this weekend.

Decided to log/blog our adventure buying down there so it can help anyone else trying to move to Galway from Dublin (or anywhere I guess!)

http://movegalway.blogspot.com/

I like the area, close to Galway, plenty of local shops.

galwayrush wrote: »
    I like the area, close to Galway, plenty of local shops.

Yeah, perfect distance for what I'm looking for. Just need to check the houses. Trying a few other towns/villages about the same distance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Yeah, perfect distance for what I'm looking for. Just need to check the houses. Trying a few other towns/villages about the same distance too.

Headford, Carlistrane, Shrule, Kilconly, Annaghdown areas you can get into Galway up the Curragh Line which has alot less traffic. Check out Dermody Auctioneers (Ian) 093 52655. You'll be in Galway alot quicker. Headford is a good smaller than Tuam. But is a lovely town...

Carlistrane and Kilconly are just north of Tuam... Annaghdown is the best close to the lake and Galway. Lovely village which is about 10 miles from Galway.

Monivea is also lovely and you can also skip alot of traffic...

The important question, where are you going to be working in Galway...

• Advertisement

Well, after the last house falling through at a late stage I am waiting until we get the keys for this one, but looks like we have a house now in Turloughmore.

So, now I have dived in, anyone want to tell me about my new locality? :-)

Ted - working from home so will avoid the commute. (for the start at least - until the loneliness drives me nuts:eek:)

BTW - thanks to everyone who has been giving me advice here over the last few months. It's been really helpful and is greatly appreciated.

D2G

Advertisement