Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is North Galway really like? (N17 area)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Well, after the last house falling through at a late stage I am waiting until we get the keys for this one, but looks like we have a house now in Turloughmore.

So, now I have dived in, anyone want to tell me about my new locality? :-)

Ted - working from home so will avoid the commute. (for the start at least - until the loneliness drives me nuts:eek:)

BTW - thanks to everyone who has been giving me advice here over the last few months. It's been really helpful and is greatly appreciated.

D2G

Great place to live.. Hurling area.. Good back road into Galway threw Carnmore Cross... Great back road to Dublin threw Mountbellew and bog road...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

Cool. May be asking you more specifics on the shortcuts when I move down. Hear the main routes can be a bit slow.

Cool. May be asking you more specifics on the shortcuts when I move down. Hear the main routes can be a bit slow.

The one from Dublin is easist... Athlone, Take Tuam Road, Until you get to the big bridge in ballinforan, a half to 3/4 a mile after that take a left( there is one just after the bridge skip that one and take the next).

You go along and striaight road across a bog road (its a good road but known locally as the bog road). You will land yourself in Mountbellew. Right through the village straight on thru Moylough. Stay on the main road for about 5 miles afterwards (sign post to Galway or Tuam).

After 5 Miles you'll come to a cross (horselip cross). See a signpost to Galway to the Left. Take it. Straight on for about tops 10 miles and your home...

This should take 45-50 min from Athlone... Booting it I have made Galway in an hour this way... It is actually quicker way from Athlone to Galway than the main route...

Thanks Ted!

Will give that a try on my next trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Well, after the last house falling through at a late stage I am waiting until we get the keys for this one, but looks like we have a house now in Turloughmore.

So, now I have dived in, anyone want to tell me about my new locality? :-)

Ted - working from home so will avoid the commute. (for the start at least - until the loneliness drives me nuts:eek:)

BTW - thanks to everyone who has been giving me advice here over the last few months. It's been really helpful and is greatly appreciated.

D2G

Excellent, what part of Turloughmore? i'm in Lackaghmore, about a Mile from Lackagh Village.I love it here, good friendly neighbours and plenty of local shops.(My next door neighbour is from Dublin .)

• Advertisement

Good lord - not again!!!:eek:

House fell through again, for same reason as last one. :mad::mad::mad: Good God - just give me one person who is selling a house honestly without any hidden minefields or 24 rotting corpses behind the fridge!

Well, at least with viewing so many last week we have some to fall back to. I think headford is the next highest on the list. Any thoughts?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

serfboard wrote: »
    Was talking to a woman from Dublin one time and she said this: "People told me I'd miss my friends, the shops, the cinema but I didn't miss any of it. Mind you, one day it started raining and it didn't stop for 6 weeks!"

Better get used to it ;)

BTW, I'm Galway city born and bred, moved to Tuam 5 years ago. Now living on an estate with Irish, Polish, Lithuanians, Pakistanis, Blacks, Whites, Travellers and even people from Dublin :) and apart from the odd "singer" walking back from the pub at 3 in the morning on a Fri/Sat, it's one of the quietest places I've ever lived.

Tuam is a grand little town, it's got (almost) everything you'd want, and it reminds me what Galway used to be like, with people having a bit more time for you here.

Good luck if/when you do move.

I wonder do I know ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

mars bar wrote: »
    I wonder do I know ya?

Don't think so - I am not now, nor have I ever been, a sham. I'll always be a blow-in (not that I mind that too much).

And my description of originally being from Galway and moving here fits quite a few people. Since I've moved, I've met quite a few "refugees" :)

Good lord - not again!!!:eek:

House fell through again, for same reason as last one. :mad::mad::mad: Good God - just give me one person who is selling a house honestly without any hidden minefields or 24 rotting corpses behind the fridge!

Well, at least with viewing so many last week we have some to fall back to. I think headford is the next highest on the list. Any thoughts?:confused:

Hard Luck... try Ian at dermody.ie.. He can at least tell you what's available and he works heavilly in the Headford, Carlistrane, Shrule area... HE spent his time in Dublin so he'll know your story..

Jesus your having a hard time of it...

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Hard Luck... try Ian at dermody.ie.. He can at least tell you what's available and he works heavilly in the Headford, Carlistrane, Shrule area... HE spent his time in Dublin so he'll know your story..

Jesus your having a hard time of it...

Thanks for the recommendation, but we have gone sale agreed on yet another one so hopefully won't need it! Headford area this time. Hopefully will get some luck with this one.

So, looking to be in Galway starting life as a blow-in Galwegian in May :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

There's also a route through Corrandulla, nearly exact same mileage without the stress of Clare Galway! So traffic isn't a problem!!! Tuam is nearly as bad sometimes now anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

There's also a route through Corrandulla, nearly exact same mileage without the stress of Clare Galway! So traffic isn't a problem!!! Tuam is nearly as bad sometimes now anyhow!

I second that!
    Although people are now wide to the Curraghline...does be kinda heavy alright.

I thought I'd write a follow up note now I am well settled in the West.

It's about 6 or 7 months now since we left Dublin and moved into our home outside Headford.

Overall: love it. Best thing I ever did in my life.

Good: peaceful, slower life, less stress than Dublin (think noise, beggers, junkies, boy racers, half of romania sticking the big issue in your face, bus fumes, commute to work). Space - LOTS of it. Friendlier people. No commute.

Bad: Very isolated so lack of human interaction, pub is too far to walk and obviously can't drive so have not had a pint in 7 months:eek:. Rains a lot. Scary roads.

I'd like to thank all the folks here who gave (and continue to give) me so much advice and info on Galway, but in the threads and PMs. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It's about 6 or 7 months now since we left Dublin and moved into our home outside Headford.

Good: peaceful, slower life, less stress than Dublin (think noise, beggers, junkies, boy racers, half of romania sticking the big issue in your face, bus fumes, commute to work). Space - LOTS of it. Friendlier people. No commute.

Bad: Very isolated so lack of human interaction, pub is too far to walk and obviously can't drive so have not had a pint in 7 months:eek:. Rains a lot. Scary roads.

I'd like to thank all the folks here who gave (and continue to give) me so much advice and info on Galway, but in the threads and PMs. Thanks!

No pints for seven months!!! My God man that must be rectified. There is a pub in Cloughanover (couple miles out the Galway road from Headford) called Campbell's Tavern. Great people, great vibe and a good pint. As for music this place is special, he gets in the likes of the Saw Doctors, Duke Special etc etc etc and the locals are crazy about music so their is always a session of sorts on the go. I'd highly recommend for your first Headford pints, arranging a taxi should be no problem. Whereabouts in Headford are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Just found this, it may be of some use to you.

http://www.headfordonline.com/

No pints for seven months!!! My God man that must be rectified. There is a pub in Cloughanover (couple miles out the Galway road from Headford) called Campbell's Tavern. Great people, great vibe and a good pint. As for music this place is special, he gets in the likes of the Saw Doctors, Duke Special etc etc etc and the locals are crazy about music so their is always a session of sorts on the go. I'd highly recommend for your first Headford pints, arranging a taxi should be no problem. Whereabouts in Headford are you?

Yeah, definitely got to rectify the pints situation! I've heard Cambells is the best place about. Will try to get over there soon. I presume you can drive over and grab a taxi back? - Will they have numbers at the bar or should I take down one of the ones in Joyces?

Live out the Greenfields side of town, just near Claran church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

have u being down to greenfields for a pint at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

and north galway isnt far from the promised land. ;)

Sadly not yet. Although it's my nearest. I was down there on Friday and the whole place seems locked up for Winter. The only sign of life was a very old collie who seemed to think my car was a sheep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Sadly not yet. Although it's my nearest. I was down there on Friday and the whole place seems locked up for Winter. The only sign of life was a very old collie who seemed to think my car was a sheep!

Call down there saturday evening. Its really only busy in summer. There is also Murphys pub in kilbeg. Only open a few hours in the evening and weekends, but a great pint of guinness. If u can get a designated driver for an hour, well worth a visit.

• Advertisement

tred wrote: »
    Call down there saturday evening. Its really only busy in summer. There is also Murphys pub in kilbeg. Only open a few hours in the evening and weekends, but a great pint of guinness. If u can get a designated driver for an hour, well worth a visit.

Yeah, seen Murphys (was actually admiring their garden). Wondered if it was a pub or someones' sitting room! :-)

Advertisement