Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunmore East, nicest town in Ireland?

Options
  • 04-12-2007 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

I spent a good deal of my childhood summers in Dunmore with my parents, grandparents and cousins, and I have to say that I can't think of a nicer town in Ireland. Indeed, of all the places in the world I have been I can only think of Banff in Canada that I would consider close to it. One of my favourite memories as a child is driving the Waterford-Dunmore road (on the way down from Dublin) and waiting for the bend that had the sea hidden behind it.

Anyone who has lived there for a while will remember Lucys Kitchen, the ultimate cafe. Then there was the pitch and putt course in the late 90's where I honed my golf skills ;), the harbour wall walk, the flat rocks where we go fishing for pinkeens whilst my dad would go sea fishing, the numerous great pubs and restaurants, Dingleys (old and new) and so much more.

There have always been great beaches, breathtaking walks, friendly locals and a great sense of pleasantness about the place. Further afield there was Tramore, Waterford City, the ferry at Passage and Ballymacaw, always worth a drive on a warm summers day. I've a lot of time for Dunmore East, love all the stories my grandparents told about it, and I intend on getting down there again very soon.

http://matthew.mumford.com/photos/ireland/03_dunmore_east_county_waterford.jpg

dunmoreeast.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not the place it used to be, too much unsympathetic development at the edges.

Its not as quaint as Passage East ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

I havent been in many other small towns around ireland to compare it to but during the bluegrass festival me and a few of the lads went for a mornin walk about 6-7 in the mornin. The view of the cliffs from the harbour area is absolutely amazing, especially at sunrise. I told myself when im retired im gonna buy a house out there, it probably is the nicest town in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

have to agree there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They have teh internet in Passage???! :eek:

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Dunmore and Passage are both nice, but it's the view as you come down Ballyglan hill on the way from Dunmore to Passage that's the best! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭AlanAhern

fozzle wrote: »
    Dunmore and Passage are both nice, but it's the view as you come down Ballyglan hill on the way from Dunmore to Passage that's the best! :D

So true!! My house is on that hill and overlooks wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

AlanAhern wrote: »

Sorry to hear that.

AlanAhern wrote: »
    Alan! hiya! I'm Mary Burke from just below you!

*waves*

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.
    Lol, we can see lots of Co. Waterford too, don't worry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Rob-cunningham1

I live in dunmore i can honestly say i love it!
    I dont think i will vwer leave it even when i am older and i am only 16 now....

Advertisement