Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Designers here?

• 04-12-2007 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Considering returning to Fashion Design by evenings in January.......didn't complete my course a few years ago because I didn't have a home sowing machine. Has anyone here attempted to design and if so is it a skill that an interested mind of average ability could learn?. How difficult is it to learn to use a sowing machine?. Hope all are well and thanks

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

Sewing machines aren't hard to use. Definitely read the manual a couple of times to familiarise yourself with it. Then after that it's just practice, practice, practice. Get some scraps of material and play around with it get used to the feel of the pedal and the types of stitches.

You'll be flying in no time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ultra noir

im in my 3rd year of fashion design. im at the stage where i hate it now. not the craft but the bloody course its self. Using a sewing machine is easy, if u go on a course they will run you threw it. its is easy to pick up tho, but its perfecting good clean sewing lines & curves. Its a very technical subject & very interesting but its all fiddely and you couldnt sell anything unless the quality is good which comes with practise.

I tryed making jackets & things to sell on ebay but after 3 items i gave up. its very time consuming and unless you have the passion it will be a huge struggle. but you must try to discover if it is for you! Good luck wih it, i see you are based in Limerick & i believe Limerick has one of the best fashion courses in the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Thanks to you both...I wasn't really intending it to be a career....but I do dye my own clothes and well I'd really like it if I could make them!....that is my primary goal. I am considering the Limerick Senior College evening course...Fashion Design or Fashion Wear...really quite basic.....so just wondering about the viability this goal?. As I said did actually start fashion design 3 or 4 years ago....but I then didn't have my own machine and couldn't keep up!

Advice appreciated
    Alan

** also considering a hobby course in Nail Art/Extensions

Advertisement