Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SalthillAirshow is no more

Options
  • 04-12-2007 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Hi guys it is with a heavy sad heart that i have to announce that the Salthill Airshow is no more due to lack of funds from Galway City Council and others......... A terrible sad day im disgusted shame on all the people who put down the trojan work that has gone into this to make it absolutely FREE for everybody and you will never EVER see Salthill as busy as it was on any Airshow day, Airshows happen all over the world and the Organisers pulled in everything for us like the RAF Red Arrows and the USAF Thunderbirds for FREE im disgusted when the likes of the GAAW do what they do you make me SICK TO MY STOMACH. GAAW the effect you have had on the Airshow and now the local economy is sickening your entitled to your views but you went too far Airshows happen everywhere Salthill will now return to a Ghost Town, You make me sick.

To Brian McGrath,Carolyn Shiels and Tony Gibson i bow my hat to you, thanks for the memories.

:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I fail to see the downside to this.

It was a reasonably novel distraction for one or two years but then it became a massive pain in the tits. The influx of slack jawed hicks, the parking problems, not being allowed to have a hangover in peace for Roger cocking Ramjet buzzing your house, the planespotters and the traffic.

I will miss none of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Nothing on the official website, or on RTE news pages.

Link to announcement, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

big b wrote: »
    Nothing on the official website, or on RTE news pages.

Link to announcement, please.

www.galwaybayfm.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

b*llocks.

one of the main reasons for getting a 200mm lens with my d80 is gone.

ffs.

Robbo wrote: »

It was a reasonably novel distraction for one or two years but then it became a massive pain in the tits. The influx of slack jawed hicks, the parking problems, not being allowed to have a hangover in peace for Roger cocking Ramjet buzzing your house, the planespotters and the traffic.

Downside-Money to the Local Economy

Pain in the tits you say?? Hmmmm maybe you should not go then nobody forced you.

Slack jawed hicks?? Oh you mean Tourists giving money to the Local Economy

Parking problems?? Where? There was adequate parking in schools open for the event ive seen worse at GAA matches in Salthill..

Having a hangover? Drink less.

Planespotters? Whats wrong with them and their hobby? What do you spot?

You wont be missed, dont let the door hit you on the way out..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

not being allowed to have a hangover in peace for Roger cocking Ramjet buzzing your house

LOL! :D

@Steyr: comiserations man, I know you and others put a lot of work into this in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

one word... economy

people travel the length and width of the country, and come from across the water to see the airshow..

so whats so bad about a couple of hundred thousand people coming to galway to spend their money at a free event..

the effects will be noticed next year if the event doesnt go ahead..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Steyr,

I don't doubt you personally, but it seems very strange that rte & eircom news pages have nothing about this.

No speakers here so can't play the clip on your link.

How good is this info, in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I guess it was a nice little distraction for a day in the Summer but I can't say that I'll miss it particularly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

Bad news for the organisers.................

but great news for Galway's terrified cats and dogs (now they only have to ban Halloween and fireworks), the ever-heating environment and anyone who finds the glorification of war planes inappropriate and in bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sorry to see this event disappear; I always really enjoyed it (despite any anti-war feelings I may have, and not really being that into planes); I always appreciated it for what it was - ENTERTAINMENT.

Many thanks to all of the organisers for keeping it going for so long despite all the nay sayers.

Over&Over wrote: »
    Bad news for the organisers.................

but great news for Galway's terrified cats and dogs (now they only have to ban Halloween and fireworks), the ever-heating environment and anyone who finds the glorification of war planes inappropriate and in bad taste.

ROFL You should be a Comedian. What a killjoy you are oh and at this point i must add im an animal lover too i have 2 Hamsters and not that you would know but before every Airshow we went to as many Animal centers in the area to tell them about the noise so they could be well prepared for it now put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Fey! wrote: »
    Many thanks to all of the organisers for keeping it going for so long despite all the nay sayers.

Thank you Dave.:)

one word... economy

people travel the length and width of the country, and come from across the water to see the airshow..

so whats so bad about a couple of hundred thousand people coming to galway to spend their money at a free event..

Well said Steve i met up with no less than 36 Members of Aviation Boards around Europe who came just to see the Thunderbirds as they had never been to Ireland before and now had a reason to go.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

one word... economy

Was it ever really "a couple of hundred of thousand"? I'm no good at judging the size of crowds Ted, but I'd say there was maybe 60-80,000 there at most any of the times I rocked up.

Were there ever independent audits done on crowd size and impact to local economy? I'm quite curious of this because I've seen figures trotted out for events that can only have been arrived at by multiplying the number of people you'd like to attend by the notion of them all spending several hundred euro.

It was perhaps wrong of me to rag on planespotters, I do acknowledge that some of them aren't dullards with quasi-militaristic fantasies and a fastidious obsession with minutiae. Some, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

Steyr wrote: »
    ROFL You should be a Comedian.

You're sharp. For that is indeed my (part-time) trade. This thread has given me many ideas that I might develop in the coming weeks. For which I am grateful, thank you.

Using your logic, they should ban the Galway Races if anything.

That causes far more traffic, far less parking, and far more problems than the Airshow ever did.

Did you not notice the elevated police presence on Shop Street during this? It just goes to show how much of a problem and how much trouble there is compared to the Air Show.

But its all about money. And this is what Galway will be losing out on now, because of people like you who just can't enjoy it for what it is; a fun day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the Airshow. Some are for and some against. Personally I liked to watch the synchronized flying and that it kinda put Galway on the international map.
    Watching the sync flying is like watching an army band at a tattoo, you enjoy the show but in the back of your head is the knowing that this is still a representation of something bigger and meaner somewhere else. It was nice while it lasted though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Using your logic, they should ban the Galway Races if anything.
    Did you not notice the elevated police presence on Shop Street during this? It just goes to show how much of a problem and how much trouble there is compared to the Air Show.

Give over :p. ANYTIME there is a large organised event in the city there is an increased Garda presence be it Macnas Parade,Airshow,GAA match,Oyster Festival,Races etc.Large crowds no matter what the circumstances in general need to be policed.Sure wasn't it only recently people were posting here wondering why Gardai were outside funeral homes.......;)

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote: »
    Give over :p. ANYTIME there is a large organised event in the city there is an increased Garda presence be it Macnas Parade,Airshow,GAA match,Oyster Festival,Races etc.Large crowds no matter what the circumstances in general need to be policed.Sure wasn't it only recently people were posting here wondering why Gardai were outside funeral homes.......;)

So you're trying to tell me before that it wasn't the first time they had a police barricade at every entrance to Shop Street?

Also, you can cut out the sarcastic comments, if you re-read my post, you will have noticed me saying that I was not aware of a funeral home near that vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

OP, while I sympathise with your loss :p, you also have to understand that not everyone's going to agree with you, so maybe you shouldn't attack/insult people who happen to have an alternative viewpoint. Also, informing animal shelters of the show isn't exactly going to help them much - the animals there, and elsewhere in Salthill, are still going to hear the noise.
    I'd also question the value to the local economy - from what I saw it was 95% locals or day trippers, half of them brought their own lunches, or would have eaten in the city anyway. Its not like there wasn't a hotel bed to be had for 30 miles now :rolleyes:

And this was by far the best contribution to this thread:
    Robbo wrote:
    not being allowed to have a hangover in peace for Roger cocking Ramjet buzzing your house
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Thats bad news. I used to get the train down to watch it. Great day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

OP, while I sympathise with your loss :p, you also have to understand that not everyone's going to agree with you, so maybe you shouldn't attack/insult people who happen to have an alternative viewpoint. Also, informing animal shelters of the show isn't exactly going to help them much - the animals there, and elsewhere in Salthill, are still going to hear the noise.
    I'd also question the value to the local economy - from what I saw it was 95% locals or day trippers, half of them brought their own lunches, or would have eaten in the city anyway. Its not like there wasn't a hotel bed to be had for 30 miles now :rolleyes:

And this was by far the best contribution to this thread:
    :D:D
    I dont think he was attacking people but rather venting his anger. OP that is terrible news im sad at this now as i have to go to the UK to see Airshows:( Sure not everybody agrees with the OP but the Majority did.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

It says a lot about people's warped ideas of entertainment that they can't enjoy an airshow that doesn't feature military aircraft. In which case, good riddance to it.

There are higher values than money, though many people seem to lose sight of that fact. Congratulations to the anti-war protesters who helped put an end to this barbaric display, and to the city council for doing the right thing.

padraig71 wrote: »
    It says a lot about people's warped ideas of entertainment that they can't enjoy an airshow that doesn't feature military aircraft. In which case, good riddance to it.

There are higher values than money, though many people seem to lose sight of that fact. Congratulations to the anti-war protesters who helped put an end to this barbaric display, and to the city council for doing the right thing.

Yet its money that makes Galway a better place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

padraig71 wrote: »

Hey guess who brought you the Internet??? Thats right the US Military. Fact of the matter is Military Aircraft will always be the crowd pleasers, not small lil cessna 172Sp's or Mooney Bravo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Hey guess who brought you the Internet??? Thats right the US Military. Fact of the matter is Military Aircraft will always be the crowd pleasers, not small lil cessna 172Sp's or Mooney Bravo's.

and fitting all those processors in such small spaces on aircraft has made some huge advancements in computer technology too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'd be willing to wager my left nut that this is down to those bloody eco mentalists and their anti-war wooly cardigan brigade cousins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

well when the organiser of the event says otherwise I believe your leftnut is gone bigkev

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement