Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SalthillAirshow is no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Steyr wrote: »
    im disgusted when the likes of the GAAW do what they do you make me SICK TO MY STOMACH. GAAW the effect you have had on the Airshow and now the local economy is sickening your entitled to your views but you went too far Airshows happen everywhere Salthill will now return to a Ghost Town, You make me sick.

Please elaborate on how the Galway Alliance Against War managed to stop the show, I thought it was just that finances dried up?

Do you mean that GAAW managed to persuade the funders to stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

steyr waht did galway chamber of commerce ( or whatever) say in response to your statements about reaping the benefit without supporting the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hey guess who brought you the Internet??? Thats right the US Military. Fact of the matter is Military Aircraft will always be the crowd pleasers, not small lil cessna 172Sp's or Mooney Bravo's.
    Don't mean to be picky but I think you'll find that the military created ARPA, along with US universities. The net (WWW/what you are using now) was created by a guy at CERN, Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I'd be willing to wager my left nut that this is down to those bloody eco mentalists and their anti-war wooly cardigan brigade cousins.

No doubt about it really those bastards wont be happy till we are liveing in huts and defended by sticks not to sharp mind could be dangours better think of the children .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Did they have insurance? Maybe that went up after a door fell off a helicopter and landed on someone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Very Sad.:mad:
    The serial objectors will be happy:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Hey guess who brought you the Internet??? Thats right the US Military. Fact of the matter is Military Aircraft will always be the crowd pleasers, not small lil cessna 172Sp's or Mooney Bravo's.

Dunno about that,the best display by far last year was by these guys.

DSC_4947%20m.JPG

It was a good show and must have taken a hell of a lot of work to organise but I feel uncomfortable about the way Military aircraft are shown as entertainment rather than the weapons of destruction that they are.

Don't forget too that last year it was very lucky no one was seriously injured because some gob****e Military pilot(s) couldn't be arsed to check his machine properly before take off.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

biko wrote: »
    Please elaborate on how the Galway Alliance Against War managed to stop the show, I thought it was just that finances dried up?

Do you mean that GAAW managed to persuade the funders to stop?

They didnt help by calling it a "Warshow" thats all im trying to say or get others to call for it to be banned, They constantly called for it to be banned. Of course they didnt persuade the funders to stop the funds just arent there. No other Aishow had so much Anti everything about it thrown at it they were put down no matter where they turned, some of the biggest Airshows in Europe take place in the UK with B52's and B2's even and they never had this problem of Anti everything.

How much money is needed to organise the event?
    I'm sure there are lots of ways we could raise funds, i'm willing to help.

ian_m wrote: »
    Did they have insurance?
    Of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

galwayrush wrote: »
    How much money is needed to organise the event?
    I'm sure there are lots of ways we could raise funds, i'm willing to help.

80k I think, Surprised sponsors wont come in and pay, its not that expensive if you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Asbad wrote: »
    80k I think, Surprised sponsors wont come in and pay, its not that expensive if you think about it.

do the Chamber of commerce not put anything toward it? it seems daft... if everyone who visited for the show spent €1 in town that's the event seemingly paid for.

Asbad wrote: »

That's not impossible. Incredible value in terms of the money it generates for the City. Thinking about it, most of the people against the Air Show, Councillors included seem to be against almost every plan for the city, :rolleyes:

gatecrash wrote: »

But people like the GAAW are partly responsible, and I feel that they will have a lot to answer for when next years timeframe comes around and there is no more than the usual summer business, with nothing like the crowds that have been there for the past number of years.

Incredible value in terms of the money it generates for the City.

What have you in Salthill now???Oh ya the 5's, a huge crowd puller...:rolleyes:

Don't forget the GAAW's annual release of 99 balloons:rolleyes:another biggie.:rolleyes:

Don't forget the GAAW's annual release of 99 balloons:rolleyes:another biggie.:rolleyes:

You mean the danger to Aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

So you're trying to tell me before that it wasn't the first time they had a police barricade at every entrance to Shop Street?

Also, you can cut out the sarcastic comments, if you re-read my post, you will have noticed me saying that I was not aware of a funeral home near that vicinity.

Firstly,NO im not trying to tell you anything so don't misquote me.The barricades for the races this year were to stop people from bringing in their own booze into designated areas causing the huge amount of rubbish from other years.They were not there to stop people boozing or entering the area in any way,nor were they policed by Gardai.
    It wasn't meant as being sarcastic more light hearted, i honestly didn't realsie it was you that had made the original post.Didn't mean to wind you up.

You mean the danger to Aircraft.

Yep, :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Sad, sad day for Salthill and Galway in general. The hardest thing to swallow is that the GAAW are now jumping for joy and claiming "victory". If I had my way I'd take them all out, line them up against a wall (wouldn't have to be a big one, there aren't that many of them) and show them first hand what weapons of war can do! It makes my blood boil to think that there is a totally voluntary committee that dedicate 9 or 10 months a year to providing a free air show all for what? Heart ache and stress when they are promised money that does'nt materialise and businesses that fill their pockets with money on the back of the air show and run straight to the bank before donating a thing to help it continue. Well next year they will feel it. I echo Styre's sentiment that Brian, Carolyn and Tony all deserve a medal for the sterling work they have put in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

This is great news indeed. Viva the GAAW!

Tzetze wrote: »
    This is great news indeed. Viva the GAAW!

Aahh, one of the few eh! Wheres that wall!

ROFL You should be a Comedian. What a killjoy you are oh and at this point i must add im an animal lover too i have 2 Hamsters and not that you would know but before every Airshow we went to as many Animal centers in the area to tell them about the noise so they could be well prepared for it now put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Prepared how? Ear-muffs on the dogs?

And if there was no such thing as war, we'd be still using abacus' (abacii?) in our caves! ;)

Tzetze wrote: »
    Prepared how? Ear-muffs on the dogs?

Ever thought of opening the back door and letting them like I do with my dog!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Its not the end of the world, at least you guys in the west still have the US Military flying in, don't forget to wave to the insurgents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

For me the novelty was gone after the second year. I reckon it could be a runner every 4 years. They could have a BeerFest in between :D
    2008 - Beerfest
    2009 - Beerfest
    2010 - Beerfest
    2011 - Airshow
    2012 - Beerfest
    2013 - Beerfest
    2014 - Beerfest
    2015 - Airshow
    2016 - Beerfest
    2017 - Beerfest
    2018 - Beerfest
    2019 - Airshow
    2020 - 2030 - Beerfest 10th Anniversary

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Ever thought of opening the back door and letting them like I do with my dog!?

He was referring to Animal Centres. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

sgthighway wrote: »
    For me the novelty was gone after the second year. I reckon it could be a runner every 4 years. They could have a BeerFest in between :D
    2008 - Beerfest
    2009 - Beerfest
    2010 - Beerfest
    2011 - Airshow
    2012 - Beerfest
    2013 - Beerfest
    2014 - Beerfest
    2015 - Airshow
    2016 - Beerfest
    2017 - Beerfest
    2018 - Beerfest
    2019 - Airshow
    2020 - 2030 - Beerfest 10th Anniversary
    I'm liking this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Give it a rest! So the pubs in Salthill were busy for one day. It hardly made their season. And if you're referring to the 5-a-side football, is that not played in Salthill Devon's ground out in Drum?

If you have one big concert in Pearse Stadium it would be worth far more to the local economy - lots more people staying overnight or for the weekend, spending a lot more than any amount of day trippers.

Oh, and +1 for the beerfest idea!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement