Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SalthillAirshow is no more

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭homerjay540

personally i am very sad to hear this. the salthill airshow is considered to be one of the best airshows in europe. it is another blow for salthill (and galway). the soccer, this, the show jumping in salthill park. all these are blows to pubs in salthill who are already facing very difficult times. next week we will probably hear that tax on drink has gone up as well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I'd be willing to wager my left nut that this is down to those bloody eco mentalists and their anti-war wooly cardigan brigade cousins.
    I'd wager my right tit that it is more likely down to the insurance hike after the helicopter door incident. That was sheer irresponsibility on the part of whoever was supposed to be in charge of health and safety. If adequate checks had been done after allowing Joe Public to clamber all over the helicopter for the afternoon, I'm sure it wouldn't have happened. Good riddance to it, the organisers should crawl back under whatever slimy stone they came out from under and stop whinging

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Must be hard living in Galway for all you hippie haters out there. Try New York?
    I'd wager what's left of bigkev49 and galwaybabe that hippies/ treehuggers/ GAAW are more passionate about doing the right thing than any of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

biko wrote: »
    Must be hard living in Galway for all you hippie haters out there. Try New York?
    I'd wager what's left of bigkev49 and galwaybabe that hippies/ treehuggers/ GAAW are more passionate about doing the right thing than any of us.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

biko wrote: »

To a point you're correct Biko... treehuggers and GAAW (certainly GAAW) are very passionate, I'm not so sure about hippehs though. It's an inherent trait of taking a position on anything. The aligned will always be more passionate than the apathetic, though I consider myself an exception, I'm very passionate about my apathy.

However they are passionate about doing what they consider to be the right thing, which is a subtle, but important, difference.

And yes it's hard living in Galway, but if you take precautions, like carrying a bar of soap or contract of employment to ward them off you'll be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I'm sad to hear this, I really enjoyed the Airshow (if not the crowds).

The hippies and activists are a small but vocal minority in Galway - I lived in Galway from 1981-1999 and on and off since then, and none of the native Galwegians I know care one iota about military aircraft being used in the show. When I was in secondary in the Jes (which every other school thought was the most hippy-tastic, liberal school in the city), we spent most of your time slagging off the damn crusties / New Age Travellers blow-ins hanging around Dominick Street. Complete scummers the lot of them! Even now it's hard to walk down Dominick Street without shuddering!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

However they are passionate about doing what they consider to be the right thing, which is a subtle, but important, difference.
    "The right thing" is always relative. There is no "right" or "wrong", it's all points of view and perception.

However, treehuggers/greenpeacers are willing to go further in their convictions than us. That's why they'll win in the end. They're the one chaining themselves to trees to preserve forrests, fighting Garda to have gas refined at sea so it'll be safer to transport, etc etc.

Btw, even rich people can be treehuggers:
    "A billionaire Norwegian businessman and an MP have chained themselves to BNFL’s Sellafield nuclear plant in protest at alleged continuing radioactive pollution of Norway’s waterways. Petter Stordalen, owner of the Choice Hotel group and MP Karl Anton Svendson are threatening to remain at the site until emission discharge into the Irish Sea by the facility is stopped".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I'm sorry to see it go.

It was free, it put a smile on a lot of faces, it was fun, it undoubtedly brought money into the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I hope the Airshow returns.
    Perhaps now, more business people will be willing to sponsor it, it was a fantastic day out . Shame on ther City council with their paltry 15,000 donation, they can waste money on the double on Eyre Square with their inefficency , but can't support an event like the Airshow properly/

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Did the helicopter door falling off last year and nearly decapitating people have anything to do with this??

Politically, the Airshow always stuck in my craw. Having the same planes providing entertainment that are designed to kill as much people as possible and have killed, never filled me with too much joy...oops! does that make me a 'hippy' :rolleyes:

However, my political views on the airshow aside, the council are cutting back on alot of Galway artistic and traditional events...the Macnas parade wasn't given the same appropriate backing as previous years, now the airshow and their new proposals for Ceannt station are a disgrace...as many ****ty shops packed into one space as possible, hardly any provision for promoting what Galway is famous for, the arts...they are moving away from most cultural events that Galway is famous for...apart from the Races of course...thats one event that feckin lines their pockets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

The galway council are inept idiots. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Steyr wrote: »
    ROFL You should be a Comedian. What a killjoy you are oh and at this point i must add im an animal lover too i have 2 Hamsters and not that you would know but before every Airshow we went to as many Animal centers in the area to tell them about the noise so they could be well prepared for it now put that in your pipe and smoke it.

And did you call to every dog and cat-owning house in the city and suburbs too?

Not all dogs and cats live in animal centres.

And lose the attitude. You sound like you have an awful lot of growing up to do.

Steyr wrote: »
    You mean the danger to Aircraft.

As long as they notify the IAA, they're entitled to release the balloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Someone should let the USAF know that they should balloon-proof their fleet of aircraft, lest the insurgents in Iraq/Afghanistan take a leaf out of GAAW's terrorist rulebook and decide to use them to bring down their F16s.

It's easier than you think.

Two balloons could take down any plane if they got into the engines.

That's why birds present such a hazard at airports and need to cleared from the runway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

kraggy wrote: »

And Galway Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It's easier than you think.

That's why birds present such a hazard at airports and need to cleared from the runway.

You're right, those balloon-releasers are a bunch of dangerous feckers and should take a leaf out of the book of the helicopter door-droppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Have you any proof for this? Thought not..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

I think you'll find you have it back to front, you don't notify them, you ask them for permission and they notify you if they think its safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

cornbb wrote: »
    You're right, those balloon-releasers are a bunch of dangerous feckers and should take a leaf out of the book of the helicopter door-droppers.

The helicopter door dropping was an accident, releasing balloons is deliberate, so they are dangerous feckers!

• Advertisement

Bottom line guys its Bad for Salthill and Galway, there is nothing here now to attract tourists. Simple as that.

Here's a quote from a guy over on www.flyinginireland.com, i could not have said it better....

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm Post subject:

It's a pity really. I can't help feeling that it's another Galway own goal. It was always more tolerated than promoted by the local authorities. The incumbent mayor as often as not boycotted the show. They did give a grant but that was alway disputed by the local anti everything particularly if it's American, gang of lefties. In fact they were actually making another attempt to block the grant this year only the other day. They need not have bothered as it turned out.

I'm quite sure Bray will step into the breach or maybe another town somewhere around Ireland, who know a good thing when they see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I never quite understood the fascination with the airshow tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The galway council are inept idiots. That is all.

this man speaketh the truth.

I never quite understood the fascination with the airshow tbh...

Maybe you didnt but thousands did....Thats the point.

Yeah I know, I was just saying...relax

Yeah I know, I was just saying...relax

Sorry didnt mean it to come across that way.:) Just a sad day for Galway City and Salthill.

Yeah true, loads of people went to it from all over every year, local economy will take a hit...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The same people on the Council who opposed the Air Show are also against the Bypass. I wonder what type of City we would have if the Loonie Lefties took over entirely?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

In fairness the "looney lefties" are also the ones proposing a decent transit system to help alleviate the traffic chaos.

I'm proudly on the left of the political spectrum, and I'm very dissappointed to see the end of the airshow, and also am all for the outer ring road!

• Advertisement

vulcan57 wrote: »
    I think you'll find you have it back to front, you don't notify them, you ask them for permission and they notify you if they think its safe.

True.

My point exactly though, was that if they approve and know about it, then they are entitled to release them. So whether you agree with the GAAW, or with the Airshow, the GAAW have rights too. That's all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement