Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SalthillAirshow is no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

In fairness the "looney lefties" are also the ones proposing a decent transit system to help alleviate the traffic chaos.

I'm proudly on the left of the political spectrum, and I'm very dissappointed to see the end of the airshow, and also am all for the outer ring road!

PopeBuckfast for Alderman:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Steyr wrote: »
    And Galway Airport.

No they don't.

Look up the Statutory Instrument on Balloon releasing.

Have you any proof for this? Thought not..

Didn't exactly give me a chance there sunshine, did ya?

Minute objects such as metal shavings, birds (even as small as a wren) and small particles of any solid (even gatherings of dust) can potentially damage a jet engine to the point that it does not work and in worse cases, ignite and become not only destroyed but also a danger to the rest of the aircraft.

Why? Because of the nature of jet engines. They work on the basis of air intake. However, they are not capable of being discriminatory when it comes to what they take in and sometimes inadvertently take in unwelcome objects.

Click the link below for some examples.

Though may be not proof enough for you "death123..." but I'm sure you'll let me know anyway ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_object_damage

http://www.fodnews.com/article042507.html

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lynnlegend

padraig71 wrote: »
    It says a lot about people's warped ideas of entertainment that they can't enjoy an airshow that doesn't feature military aircraft. In which case, good riddance to it.

There are higher values than money, though many people seem to lose sight of that fact. Congratulations to the anti-war protesters who helped put an end to this barbaric display, and to the city council for doing the right thing.

war planes are faster more manoverable and just look so good
    sports cars are faster more manoverable and just look so good
    no real differance is there o ya miltary air craft kill cars dont.. and we could have an airshow with just Boeing 767-223ER becaues they not war planes..............you better pm al-Qaeda and tell them that becaues they used them as war planes

to all the people who put in so much effort to get rid of the air show i was just wondering how operation get rid of any enjoyable event at all plan is going

to the guys who put the whole day together it was one of the best days out you could have thanks a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

kraggy wrote: »
    No they don't.

Look up the Statutory Instrument on Balloon releasing.

ATC had to stop a balloon lauch before as it was within the Airports CTR and thats a Hazard. If anything goes up or is planned to go up they have to know about it too. Also if there is a TRA ( Temp Restricted Airspace ) in Operation then that Airspace is deemed Sterile and nothing may go in or out of that Airspace without Permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

padraig71 wrote: »
    It says a lot about people's warped ideas of entertainment that they can't enjoy an airshow that doesn't feature military aircraft. In which case, good riddance to it.

There are higher values than money, though many people seem to lose sight of that fact. Congratulations to the anti-war protesters who helped put an end to this barbaric display, and to the city council for doing the right thing.

Of course you can enjoy an airshow without military aircraft the same way as some can enjoy a formular 3 race, but who would'nt prefer a formular 1 grandprix. Before anyone says that formular 1 or 3 cars don't go out kill people, think of the makers of which all manufacture production cars of which all kill more people than any of the military aircraft that appear at airshows. Im against war as much as anyone, but while you have religion, politics and human greed in this world, war is inevitable, the very reason that every country on this planet has a defence force with the exception of one, Porto rica, I believe. What on gods earth is "barbaric" about an airshow, boxing is barbaric! The military aircraft are there because they are some of the worlds most technologically advanced and their pilots the most skilled and are there to celebrate the world of aviation, nothing else.

ATC had to stop a balloon lauch before as it was within the Airports CTR and thats a Hazard. If anything goes up or is planned to go up they have to know about it too. Also if there is a TRA ( Temp Restricted Airspace ) in Operation then that Airspace is deemed Sterile and nothing may go in or out of that Airspace without Permission.

I repeat, look up the S.I.

And have just discovered that the GAAW only released 99 balloons in which case, they don't have to ask permission of the IAA at all.

It's only for 1000 balloons or more in an Aerodrome Traffic Zone, or 2000 balloons anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

galwayrush wrote: »
    PopeBuckfast for Alderman:cool:
    PopeBuckfast for Holy See!

I always enjoyed the airshow because it is what I grew up with and it was always a fun day out with the family. Plus there was something about the noise that always made it a bit more exciting.

It didn't matter if they were jets that were used in fighting. It didn't matter than those jets killed people. It was just good fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bottom line guys its Bad for Salthill and Galway, there is nothing here now to attract tourists. Simple as that.

Apart from the National Aquarium.
    And the Blue Flag Beach.
    And the diving tower.
    And the availability of accommodation - hotels, guesthouses, B&Bs and campsite.
    And Leisureland.
    And the golf course.
    And restaurants.
    And pubs.
    And the Prom.
    And good fishing.
    And Pearse Stadium, for games and the odd concert, and even sheep shearing championships!
    All open all summer long, family friendly, safe, varied recreation and entertainment.

No you're right, there's nothing here now to attract tourists! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

Hi all,

From what i know if Airspace is Sterile then nothing is allowed to enter/exit/transit throught it unless permission is sought to do so. I remember reading about the Red Arrows pulling off a display in the UK only to have it pulled by themselves due to an Airspace Infringement in the TRA Zone by a microlight Aircraft and a flock of geese, Que Red1 chasing down Microlight to try and get its UK CAA Registration, unfortunately these things happen all the time, flying a microlight in Airspace that was Sterile for them ( Reds ) to enter into it was careless considering the amount of NOTAM's active which should have been read too, launching balloons or anything else is just careless as they are uncontrolled and powered by the wind.

Infact here is the Link:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/north_yorkshire/3177813.stm

Air show threat to prosecute pilots

The Red Arrows were set to top the bill:
    Four pilots could be prosecuted after the Red Arrows were forced to abort an air show display at the last minute over safety fears.

The world-famous RAF display team were on their final approach to the annual Yorkshire Air Show at Elvington, near York, when a series of airspace infringements made it too dangerous to fly.

A microlight aircraft, a glider and a large flock of birds all strayed into the restricted airspace in addition to one other, as yet, unspecified infringement.

The display team were forced to stand-off four miles from the airfield before cancelling their appearance altogether on safety grounds.

Rare occurrence

Furious air show organiser Ken Cothliff said the Civil Aviation Authority had been informed and the pilots of the rogue aircraft could expect to be prosecuted.

He added: "The Red Arrows can probably count on the fingers of one hand how often this has happened in the past."

The Red Arrows, based at RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire, were the top attraction at the two-day event which is expected to attract more than 30,000 people.

Aircraft taking part in the displays will include the Utterly Butterly Wingwalkers, DeHavilland Sea Vixen, B-25 Mitchell Bomber, North American T-6 Harvard, Blue Eagles and the SAR Sea King.

There are also trade stands, craft stalls, classic cars, military vehicles, a funfair, helicopter rides and a static aircraft park.

The Red Arrows are still due to perform at the show on Monday.

So to be brutally honest balloons or otherwise they are not allowed go up. Bottom Line is its all about Safety.

And the Blue Flag Beach.
    And the diving tower.
    And Leisureland.
    And the golf course.
    And restaurants.
    And pubs.
    And the Prom.
    And good fishing.
    And Pearse Stadium, for games and the odd concert, and even sheep shearing championships!
    All open all summer long, family friendly, safe, varied recreation and entertainment.

are you from bundoran they have most of that too just like every other sea side town in ireland if only galway had an event to make it stand out..............o wait we had

vulcan57 wrote: »
    What on gods earth is "barbaric" about an airshow, boxing is barbaric!

Well said Vulcan57.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

And the Blue Flag Beach.
    And the diving tower.
    And Leisureland.
    And the golf course.
    And restaurants.
    And pubs.
    And the Prom.
    And good fishing.

People don't come to Salthill specifically for the National Aquarium nor do they for leisureland or the prom, a lot of the pubs are dead even in the summer the restaurants are used mostly by locals and the Hotels, guesthouses, B&B's and campsites are all struggling, Events like the Airshow bring all these ameneties to a wider public because the airshow has a proven record of attracting visitors. I'll allow you pearse stadium.

And the Blue Flag Beach.
    And the diving tower.
    And Leisureland.
    And the golf course.
    And restaurants.
    And pubs.
    And the Prom.
    And good fishing.

Apart from the National Aquarium.--It's tiny.
    And the Blue Flag Beach.--Needs the weather, few sunny days here thats all
    And the diving tower.--Ok
    And the availability of accommodation - hotels, guesthouses, B&Bs and campsite.-- You need Tourists for that
    And Leisureland.--Would have more people if it was a 50M pool
    And the golf course.--I dont like Golf
    And restaurants.--They're ok
    And pubs.--Nice pubs
    And the Prom.--Dog doo doo everywhere.
    And good fishing.--I agree
    And Pearse Stadium, for games and the odd concert, and even sheep shearing championships!--Sheep shearing? Totally redneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Saying there is nothing to attract tourists in Salthill now is a bit rich lads, the airshow was only on for one afternoon a year and most of the crowds spend money on little but chips and icecream. Saying that Salthill is nothing without the airshow is a bit self-important don't ye think?

lynnlegend wrote: »
    are you from bundoran they have most of that too just like every other sea side town in ireland if only galway had an event to make it stand out..............o wait we had
    vulcan57 wrote: »
    People don't come to Salthill specifically for the National Aquarium nor do they for leisureland or the prom, a lot of the pubs are dead even in the summer the restaurants are used mostly by locals and the Hotels, guesthouses, B&B's and campsites are all struggling, Events like the Airshow bring all these ameneties to a wider public because the airshow has a proven record of attracting visitors. I'll allow you pearse stadium.

The point is Salthill has ALL these amenities, which together attract a lot of visitors. They are open all year round mostly, and bring in thousands of visitors throughout the summer, many of whom spend a few days in the area - maybe driving out to Connemara and other places too - but staying in Salthill. Yes the place may be struggling, but name me one seaside resort that isn't, in these days of cheap foreign holidays.
    Are you seriously suggesting that the airshow is more important to the local economy than all of these other amenities, cos thats what it sounds like. Jeez, I wonder what they did before there was an air show, it must have been a ghost town!

Cop on, one day of day trippers does sweet F.A. for Salthill, if they had to rely on the airshow for business they'd all be bankrupt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

thanks to everyone who kept it going for so long.it was always except when your about 2 metres away from being nailed by the door of a helicopter.if it came to it i wouldn't mind stickin me hand in me pocket but we really need to fundraise for it.just puttin the idea out there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

thanks to everyone who kept it going for so long.it was always except when your about 2 metres away from being nailed by the door of a helicopter.if it came to it i wouldn't mind stickin me hand in me pocket but we really need to fundraise for it.just puttin the idea out there

Yes, a small effort and i reckon we could get the Air Show back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If each of the people at the airshow spent an average of €10 (cigs, petrol to get home, chips, a drink coffee, 7up, etc (I know, not all high profit)), that's around €1,000,000 into the local economy. Not to be sniffed at.

Apart from the National Aquarium.--It's tiny.
    May be small but it draws people in - especially on a rainy day when the beach is no good
    And the Blue Flag Beach.--Needs the weather, few sunny days here thats all
    Yes, but same for everywhere else in Ireland. It was mobbed when we did get sunny weather in June. And if its not sunny, you have the pool in Leisureland, aquarium, etc. Not many other resorts have alternative indoor facilities for rainy days.
    And the diving tower.--Ok
    And the availability of accommodation - hotels, guesthouses, B&Bs and campsite.-- You need Tourists for that
    Tourists won't go somewhere if there's nowhere to stay. Point is Salthill has the capacity so its a selling point.
    And Leisureland.--Would have more people if it was a 50M pool
    So? How many 50m pools are there in Ireland? People still go swimming....
    And the golf course.--I dont like Golf
    So? Lots of other people do. They pay money to play too...
    And the Prom.--Dog doo doo everywhere.
    Hmm, thats why thousands of people are out walking it on summer evenings :rolleyes:
    And Pearse Stadium, for games and the odd concert, and even sheep shearing championships!--Sheep shearing? Totally redneck.
    Agree on rednecks, but that shearing event brought something like 40,000 people in over the weekend. Rednecks have money too - in fact they drink a lot!

The point is Salthill has ALL these amenities, which together attract a lot of visitors. They are open all year round mostly, and bring in thousands of visitors throughout the summer, many of whom spend a few days in the area - maybe driving out to Connemara and other places too - but staying in Salthill. Yes the place may be struggling, but name me one seaside resort that isn't, in these days of cheap foreign holidays.
    Are you seriously suggesting that the airshow is more important to the local economy than all of these other amenities, cos thats what it sounds like. Jeez, I wonder what they did before there was an air show, it must have been a ghost town!

Cop on, one day of day trippers does sweet F.A. for Salthill, if they had to rely on the airshow for business they'd all be bankrupt
    Fey! wrote: »
    If each of the people at the airshow spent an average of €10 (cigs, petrol to get home, chips, a drink coffee, 7up, etc (I know, not all high profit)), that's around €1,000,000 into the local economy. Not to be sniffed at.

galwayguy 99 in your post you said salt hill was struggling but so was every other sea side town Fey did some maths for you and on a rough estimate he reckions the air show is worth at least a million so the air show should be a good thing for salt hill unless your suggesting that every one who comes to see connemara and they only stay in salthill according to you would stay away in protest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Your welcome, It was an accident and not a Door per se, it was an Emergency Egress hatch, part of the main starboard cabin door.

lynnlegend wrote: »
    galwayguy 99 in your post you said salt hill was struggling but so was every other sea side town Fey did some maths for you and on a rough estimate he reckions the air show is worth at least a million so the air show should be a good thing for salt hill unless your suggesting that every one who comes to see connemara and they only stay in salthill according to you would stay away in protest

Sorry, your sentence is so long and rambling I can't really make out what you're trying to say. I think you're saying I don't think the airshow is good for Salthill. That wasn't my point. The airshow is one afternoon of people, 95% of whom are probably locals or daytrippers. So their averge spend is low. The rest of the summer is lower numbers of people, but because they're staying in the area, their average spend is far higher. Sure, the airshow is good for Salthill, but its only a minor part of the tourist industry there. I was replying to the OP's post where he tried to make out that now it was gone, there was nothing for tourists in Salthill at all. As if the airshow was the backbone of the local tourism industry... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Feck it, I've lived in Galway all of my life and I've never been to the airshow so I said that I would go next year...

Looks like that plan is down the drain. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

in fairness though the Airshow was an important attraction for Salthill, it's claim to fame really. it generated a good bit of publicity and an awful lot of free advertising every year. to lose that wont simply affect the day of the Airshow itself but would have knock-on effects that would be felt throughout the year. to say it's just going to impact one day is a real simplification, and considering this factor i dont think you could say a concert in Pearse stadium would have the same impact as the Airshow did.

whether you liked it or not it's a huge loss for the City.
    Feck it, I've lived in Galway all of my life and I've never been to the airshow so I said that I would go next year...

Looks like that plan is down the drain. :(

yeah i was away for the last few, its a real pity there's not going to be anymore.

Sorry, your sentence is so long and rambling I can't really make out what you're trying to say. I think you're saying I don't think the airshow is good for Salthill. That wasn't my point. The airshow is one afternoon of people, 95% of whom are probably locals or daytrippers. So their averge spend is low. The rest of the summer is lower numbers of people, but because they're staying in the area, their average spend is far higher. Sure, the airshow is good for Salthill, but its only a minor part of the tourist industry there. I was replying to the OP's post where he tried to make out that now it was gone, there was nothing for tourists in Salthill at all. As if the airshow was the backbone of the local tourism industry... :rolleyes:

Sorry.Your right.The diveing board is, hope we dont lose that. I think why the air show is such a loss ,apart from being a good day out is that it highlighted galway even if people didnt come for the airshow, it put galway out there and people in many different countrys were hearing about the air show in galway.Who knows maybe some came just came to see the town they heard so much about.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

> Salthill will now return to a Ghost Town

Wow, are the hundreds of people walking the prom every day ghosts? I'd never have guessed.

Great news for the planet .. IMHO we're screwing it up so badly that nothing else matters.

• Advertisement

in fairness though the Airshow was an important attraction for Salthill, it's claim to fame really. it generated a good bit of publicity and an awful lot of free advertising every year. to lose that wont simply affect the day of the Airshow itself but would have knock-on effects that would be felt throughout the year. to say it's just going to impact one day is a real simplification, and considering this factor i dont think you could say a concert in Pearse stadium would have the same impact as the Airshow did.

In fairness, Salthill has been a seaside resort for well over 100 years now. I think the vast majority of people who come to Salthill would have heard of it anyway regardless of the airshow. It was famous for a lot more before they even dreamt of having an air show. In fact, they had a lot more visitors and it was much more vibrant before they started having the air show - so should we draw the conclusion that the airshow has put people off going to Salthill? :rolleyes:

As for the concert - if you have a major act playing you have people coming from all over the country. Loads of these will stay for the weekend. Any time they've had a major act there every bed in the city has been booked solid for the weekend. Thats an awful lot of moolah coming into the local economy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement