Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SalthillAirshow is no more

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

In fairness, Salthill has been a seaside resort for well over 100 years now. I think the vast majority of people who come to Salthill would have heard of it anyway regardless of the airshow. It was famous for a lot more before they even dreamt of having an air show. In fact, they had a lot more visitors and it was much more vibrant before they started having the air show - so should we draw the conclusion that the airshow has put people off going to Salthill? :rolleyes:

Stop exaggerating what everyone is saying here. I didn't say the place would turn into chernobyl, i said it lost a huge draw, which is damn true. Are you trying to argue otherwise? It WAS a prime sea resort. now it has to compete with foreign holiday destinations and all that crap. the airshow gave Salthill a bit of extra publicity and help with the destinations image.
    As for the concert - if you have a major act playing you have people coming from all over the country. Loads of these will stay for the weekend. Any time they've had a major act there every bed in the city has been booked solid for the weekend. Thats an awful lot of moolah coming into the local economy

yes i'm not for a moment denying that this is the case but still:
    1) concerts tend not to get national publicity to the same extent
    2) concerts tend not to be as a big a draw
    3) concerts attract a different crowd. the Airshow is much more family orientated than your average concert.
    4) big name concerts aren't unique. Dublin has loads of them, every big city does. the Airshow was for this country, you were guaranteed a massive crowd no matter what basically.

you're analysis is a real oversimplification. besides wouldn't it be better to have BOTH as crowd pullers in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

cornbb wrote: »
    Saying there is nothing to attract tourists in Salthill now is a bit rich lads, the airshow was only on for one afternoon a year and most of the crowds spend money on little but chips and icecream. Saying that Salthill is nothing without the airshow is a bit self-important don't ye think?

The airshow maybe for just one afternoon but a considerable number of people stay for the weekend. As far as spending money on little but chips, well funny how it was practically impossible to get even a park bench for accomadation that week end!! or maybe they were getting that for free? Ask also any pubs and hotels the amount of beer they go through on that weekend. There is plenty of scope for other attractions but where are they? and where have they been for the last 20 years or more, while the airshow has been the only one of note for the last 15, talk is cheap! You would certainly be hard pushed to get an event to attract so many people from such a big geographic area, meaning the whole of Europe. So, no, I don't think it's a "bit self-important"

JustMary wrote: »
    >

Wow, are the hundreds of people walking the prom every day ghosts? I'd never have guessed.

Locals, dear, who spend their money in Dunnes and Tesco, they are not visitors bringing anything extra to the area!!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

the Airshow is much more family orientated than your average concert.

Only in a world that has lost its head - enjoying music is not considered suitable family entertainment, gawping at warplanes is! :rolleyes:

padraig71 wrote: »
    Only in a world that has lost its head - enjoying music is not considered suitable family entertainment, gawping at warplanes is! :rolleyes:

Enjoying music is wonderful, but taking the family to any big concert is quite often difficult to say the least. Plus the fact you have to PAY big bucks for it.:p

• Advertisement

i'm guessing you've never been to a concert then? or know anything about young kids for that matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Who needs the atlantaquaria (for that is it's name) when you can get this many red herrings for free online?

To clear things up a little, the Airshow was not cancelled so that a Concert could be put on. Having the Airshow does not mean there can be no Concerts. The two are not mutually exclusive, or incompatible in any way.

To keep banging on about the merits or otherwise of Concerts is entirely missing the point. The airshow brought euros to Galway businesses, that is a fact, you can argue against it, but that would make you delusional. On the question of did it bring in more money than it cost, I'm not sure but I would guess the answer is yes. Either way it doesn't actually matter.

If we start arguing costs v's profits then to drive to the logical conclusion we'd shut down all art galleries, museums, antlantaquaria('s?), macnas parades, St. Patricks Day, public monuments, fountains etc. etc. ad nauseum.

The fact of the matter is the airshow made 80,000 (average attendance I believe, I'm sure Steyr could provide the figures) people happy for one day a year, costing approx one euro per person-day of happiness (if you care about cost).

Like it or loath it, it was a USP (unique selling point) for Galway, and a good day out for those who enjoyed it.

It's now gone, and it's one less reason to come to Galway.

You can argue till your blue in the face that there's other attractions, but that's missing the point, you can never have too many attractions for a town.

So please spare me anymore concert this or diving board that, it's completely missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

This thread is doing nothing for Galway Tourism.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think a final showdown between "lefties" (not my words) and "slack-jawed hicks" (not my words) would draw massive crowds. They could battle it out with balloons and helicopter doors.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

And to think that the Knacker Dwarf thread that showcased one of our finest eccentrics, has been locked...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

So AerArann or the SAR Sikorsky S61N didnt float your boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

With the type of accidents that have happened in the past at Airshows throughout the world, the Salthill show was a time-bomb. We're lucky that it was a piece of a door causing a very near-miss that caused the insurance to get closer to a singularity.

All politics of the issue aside, I understand some people's fascination with these machines, but you've got to look at the big picture lads. The cost of the insurance would be far better spent on another sort of multi-day artistic festival with far fewer inherent risks involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Say no to war machines. :mad:
    Say yes to open air music festival. :)

Whaddaya think Steyr? We could do the theme from "Hair" together :D

Tzetze wrote: »
    The cost of the insurance would be far better spent on another sort of multi-day artistic festival with far fewer inherent risks involved.

we already have... Arts Festival... Cuirt... Tulca... i think there's others i'm leaving out. Great festivals with loads to see and do, but another wont make up for the loss of the airshow.

i'm utterly astounded that some people here cant recognise why the airshow should be considered a huge loss to the city... whether you disagree with it on political/moral/personal reasons you still can't deny it was a pretty damn valuable event for the city in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It was a great day out for the birds an all, it's like they knew the story flying all over the place doing acrobatics and confusing my drunk self. Wow, look at that one.. oh no wait that's a seagull. :D

It was a great day out and fairly unique in Ireland, it'll be missed by me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Salthill Airshow brings out the most creative side of people :D I wonder what language he's speaking

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XLmIBNAxBig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

we already have... Arts Festival... Cuirt... Tulca... i think there's others i'm leaving out. Great festivals with loads to see and do, but another wont make up for the loss of the airshow.

i'm utterly astounded that some people here cant recognise why the airshow should be considered a huge loss to the city... whether you disagree with it on political/moral/personal reasons you still can't deny it was a pretty damn valuable event for the city in the summer.

I'm open to other suggestions. My point is that the risk involved and cost of insurance far outweigh the benefits.

Tzetze wrote: »
    With the type of accidents that have happened in the past at Airshows throughout the world, the Salthill show was a time-bomb. We're lucky that it was a piece of a door causing a very near-miss that caused the insurance to get closer to a singularity.

All politics of the issue aside, I understand some people's fascination with these machines, but you've got to look at the big picture lads. The cost of the insurance would be far better spent on another sort of multi-day artistic festival with far fewer inherent risks involved.

When you think that there are literally thousands of air shows around the world each year, accidents are relatively very rare. There have been only 3 major accidents at air shows this year with 5 fatalities, none of which were spectators. Many more that have been killed in motor sports, in particular motorcycles, how many have been killed in the TT races or the motorcycle race event in the North, of which the name escapes me at the moment, over the last few years. Agreed, one is too many, but because of the obvious exceptionally strict safety regulations regarding aircraft, it makes airshows a very safe event.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well,
    I have to say I've enjoyed the airshow any of the times I've been around Galway to witness it.
    I've also gotten fairly annoyed at the annual letters in the Independent and advertiser a few weeks before hand from the "Anti" brigade.
    It must have been pretty difficult for the organisers to get stuff done because of the high publicity of negative sentiment.
    I've never seen the logic in these letters. The event is entertainment and a boost for the city, its also one of the higher profile events to take place here and I doubt it will be replaced by anything which will be nearly as successful. Concerts and the like are usually far more trouble than they are worth and only accessable to the over 18's in society.
    Now that the "Anti" people have nothing else to do I would suggest that they get together in a similiar manner and try arrange something to take the place of this event. I doubt that will happen. They're more than likely going to start complaining about something else.
    People like this should really look a bit deeper into their own lives and see what americian products and services they currently support,eradicate them from their lives, then tell the rest of us how to behave.
    Kippy

PS- Thanks to the organisers over the years who've put the time into the event. Great work, and maybe there is a slim possibility the event will return some time in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

I live in Galway and I have been to see the airshow. It. They must be the most boring event possible.
    Wow - I see an aer arann plane! Oh, the excitement!
    Wait a half hour for another one.
    Now, look theres a helicopter doing a simulated rescue! I can't see. It's so far away. Is that a man on the winch! Golly, this is exciting!
    Wait another half hour for the next item.
    .....and on and on.
    Finally, the red arrows. Brilliant. 5 minutes and its over.
    Air show fans - get a life!

Plus they scare the life out of dogs and little children.

Did all those day trippers and camper van enthusiasts really bring a lot to the local economy? Really! If hard-nosed business people don't see the payback, maybe there isn't a signifcant payback.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    PS- Thanks to the organisers over the years who've put the time into the event. Great work, and maybe there is a slim possibility the event will return some time in the future.

Thank you Kippy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Ahh no. I've been a couple of times and I was definitely planning to go again, so im sad to here this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

I live in Galway and I have been to see the airshow. It. They must be the most boring event possible.
    Wow - I see an aer arann plane! Oh, the excitement!
    Now, look theres a helicopter doing a simulated rescue! I can't see. It's so far away. Is that a man on the winch! Golly, this is exciting!
    Wait another half hour for the next item.
    .....and on and on.
    Finally, the red arrows. Brilliant. 5 minutes and its over.
    Air show fans - get a life!

Did all those day trippers and camper van enthusiasts really bring a lot to the local economy? Really! If hard-nosed business people don't see the payback, maybe there isn't a signifcant payback.

I live in Galway and I have been to see the airshow. It. They must be the most boring event possible.--Dont let the door hit you on the way out of Galway.

Wow - I see an aer arann plane! Oh, the excitement!--ATR 72's happen to be nice,quiet and comfy Aircraft and Eco Friendly.

Now, look theres a helicopter doing a simulated rescue! I can't see. It's so far away. Is that a man on the winch!--Perhaps you should arrive earlier as your obviously disappointed that you missed it, and how dare you sully the men and women of the Irish Coast Guard and other Rescue Servcies, they save lives and have died in the Course of saving lives and their job is by far way better than anthing you do.

Wait another half hour for the next item.--Never ever been more that 2 to 3 minutes max waiting time.

Finally, the red arrows. Brilliant. 5 minutes and its over.--Obviously time flys in your life their display is over 25minutes long..
    Air show fans - get a life!--Your Sir, are an Idiot, what do you like?

Plus they scare the life out of dogs and little children.--Bottom line, i like the sound of Freedom, and when you see the Afterburner always shout out "Burn baby! Burn"

Did all those day trippers and camper van enthusiasts really bring a lot to the local economy?--If they all spent just 1 euro each.......says it all numpty.

kippy wrote: »
    Now that the "Anti" people have nothing else to do

Rent-A-Crowd springs to mind, you should see them down at EINN ( Shannon Intl ) wearing Combats no less.......

I have always heard over the PA system the Airshow announcer has always warned people over the PA before a fast jet or loud act arrives into the Display Axis about the noise and to cover up childrens ears etc. Im also sure alot of noises scare dogs seeing as Dogs are able to hear sounds that we cannot.

I feel like i had to reply to this illinformed silly statement yet again about the "wait" between displays, it's common and is done for Safety, put it this way, would you send an F-16C/G right into the Display Axis just as a slower act like a Helicopter or piston Aircraft is leaving the Display Axis? I certainely would not, its common sense unless you want a mid air collision. It is standard safety practice.

Vulcan57 can also back this up or anybody who has been to Foreign shows.

I feel like i had to reply to this illinformed silly statement yet again about the "wait" between displays,

How is it illinformed. You just explained why it happens. I knew that. It's still boring as hell. Thanks for strengthening my argument.

Steyr wrote: »
    I have always heard over the PA system the Airshow announcer has always warned people over the PA before a fast jet or loud act arrives into the Display Axis about the noise and to cover up childrens ears etc. Im also sure alot of noises scare dogs seeing as Dogs are able to hear sounds that we cannot.

How effective is covering a child's ears. What would you use. Do you bring special soundproofing materials.

Did you notice all the children who cry with discomfort after the roar of the jets. I sure did.

I feel like i had to reply to this illinformed silly statement yet again about the "wait" between displays, it's common and is done for Safety, put it this way, would you send an F-16C/G right into the Display Axis just as a slower act like a Helicopter or piston Aircraft is leaving the Display Axis? I certainely would not, its common sense unless you want a mid air collision. It is standard safety practice.

Vulcan57 can also back this up or anybody who has been to Foreign shows.

Yep dead right, there always has to be a gap at any airshow btween acts for the very reason Aircraft Techie mentioned.

• Advertisement

How is it illinformed. You just explained why it happens. I knew that. It's still boring as hell. Thanks for strengthening my argument.

Maybe you should buy a watch as it is'nt half an hour no more than the Reds only display for 5 mins. If you had been there this year it may have been a little longer than usual but they had the weather to contend with, yet another safety feature, but there again doubt if you were because the red arrows were'nt there were they? Considering it was so boring you stayed long enough, there again you didn't have to pay to get in did you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement