Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar Work Abroad

• 04-12-2007 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭

Ok not sure if this is the right forum for this or not but I figured it was here or After hours...

Basically myself and two of my mates are looking to go away to work in a bar next summer for a month or two.
    An wondering how much experience would a bar in the likes of Crete or Greece expect us to have. I know different bars will expect different things but in general, like a basic knowledge of bar work, alot of experience, or would they mind newbies. Two of us have a basic knowledge and the other has no clue.
    So could anyone who has worked in a bar abroad in the likes of Greece, Crete etc could you tell me what your experience was like?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

worked in spain, the thing with jobs in these places is that they usually have staff sorted months in advance so apply in jan/feb. you wont find bar work there if u just turn up with nothing planned (unless u get lucky and someone was just sacked! that happened friend of mine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Oh yeah I know that. We're actually trying to sort it out now. And we're just wondering if we should let them know that we only have a little bar experience or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

Frisbee wrote: »
    Oh yeah I know that. We're actually trying to sort it out now. And we're just wondering if we should let them know that we only have a little bar experience or not?
    well no matter what say ye have some, but if yer useless it will become evident quickly and yel get the boot or end up collecting glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Aces...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

hey, i worked in a bar in Praia Da Rocha in the Algarve for a summer a few years back, deffo sort it out in advance if you can. I had some bar experience but my other friends hadn't - we all got jobs in the same place, lucky but only coz some staff had left. Id say contact them in advance & send over a CV, like said above if you're crap you'll get the boot, one thing we were advised to do was put a photo on your CV...things like that are valuable i.e. looks. although that said im not exactly good looking myself so it probably doens't matter, and they didn't even ask us for CVs! A good bit of advice is that if you dont have your accom sorted in advance then do what we did - book a last minute holiday, the prices are usually near enough the price of the flights on their own (if you booked them yourself) and you get an apartment for the first week or two while you sort yourself out. was brill for us as we got accom with the job so we got 2weeks to get the job and once we started we moved out of the holiday apts. best summer ever so i can't recommend a summer working in a bar in a resort highly enough, we still go on and on about it to this day!

• Advertisement
Advertisement