Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spokes being cut

Options
  • 04-12-2007 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭

For the third time in as many months, some git has cut some of the spokes on my bike while it's locked in the city centre. I have a fairly decent lock which seems to deter them but they always seem to cut the spokes on the wheel that isn't locked which puzzles me.

Short of electrifying my bike, what can I do to avoid it? I thought the Luas stop at Stephens green would have been reasonably safe but obviously I'm wrong. Does anyone else get the Luas and where do you leave your bike?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not sure there is antyhing you can do, I guess there hoping that by cutting the spokes you can't cycle it and as such you'll leave it there so they can nick it later

stupid plan but I guess its worked for them at some point otherwise they wouldn't keep doing it, either that or they bored muppets who just damagwe it for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Cutting spokes to rob a bike sounds like the messed-up logic of the junk-adled to me. They might have thought they could slip the lock around the wheel if the spokes weren't in the way. (Yeah, I know - it's a bit like thinking you can get through a locked door by pulling the doorknob off.)
    markpb wrote: »
    For the third time in as many months, some git has cut some of the spokes on my bike while it's locked in the city centre. I have a fairly decent lock which seems to deter them but they always seem to cut the spokes on the wheel that isn't locked which puzzles me.

Short of electrifying my bike, what can I do to avoid it? I thought the Luas stop at Stephens green would have been reasonably safe but obviously I'm wrong. Does anyone else get the Luas and where do you leave your bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Use Q.D wheels and bring them away with you, ive seen it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cutting spokes to rob a bike sounds like the messed-up logic of the junk-adled to me.
    Yes, but even crazier is he said the bike was not locked on that wheel :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Use Q.D wheels and bring them away with you, ive seen it done.

Q.R. right? i see your reasoning, but i reckon a frame locked up in town would be an even more likely candidate for mindless abuse.

i hate to say it but you really can't win in town, and the cops don't care. i think there is a real need for provision of proper cycle parking facilities, nearly on a par with the need for cycle lanes etc. if you ask non-cyclist why they won't cycle 'fear of theft' would probably come in after the usual suspects of 'the weather' and 'being hit by a bus/car'.

i'm with boris johnson on this one. he has said in interview, only half jokingly, that he would be in favour of the imposition of sharia law in the case of bicycle thieves within london, if he were to be made mayor.

afterthought: if robbing the bike would cost you a hand, how many fingers would spoke cutting demand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

What type of bike is it? If flash and expensive I'd be with some of the other posters in suggesting sniping the spokes is an attempt to get you to abandon the bicycle and give them a chance to try rob it latter.

Mind you, I seen a range of bikes vandalised along the canal at the driminagh luas stop, they obviously couldn't be stolen so all the wheels were slashed.

Advertisement