Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Warming Hoax - Alive newspaper

Options
  • 04-12-2007 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this is the right place. Move it if its not sure

So I always thought that Alive magazine was one of those magazines that just do the whole 'be a better person, go to church' but today before I put it straight in the bin I noticed the headline.

Global Warming Hoax

Flawed Science and shady politics behind todays claims are causing a growing band of skeptics to question global warming

Now what the hell? Religious magazines can't use science! The Bible contradicts it! Religion can't be against science and then use science when it suits it.

And theres a section at the back asking wheter the Irish Times is manipulating its readers..:D

BTW I'm an atheist and believe in climate change

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Conor108 wrote:
    Flawed Science and shady politics behind todays claims are causing a growing band of skeptics to question global warming
    Flawed thinking and US Republicans and their friends in the oil industry are causing a growing band of me-toos to put their fingers in their ears and go yaa-yaa. Similarities to creationism are obvious.

The Republicans have co-branded with many religious outfits so there's a fair amount of what I cringe to refer to as "cross-selling" going on.

Is that Alive-magazine on the web anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Conor108 wrote: »
    BTW I'm an atheist and believe in climate change

The first step is admitting it

I'm an atheist, and I too believe in climate change

That felt good ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm an anti-climate-change-ist :cool: You guys are so irrational! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Conor108 wrote: »

that has got to be a piss take

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote:
    that has got to be a piss take
    No, it's not -- I know somebody who subscribes to this and I'm fairly sure that you can get it in those racks down the back of most catholic churches. Some of the thing's personal ads sound just heart-breaking to me.

But it's not without its humor either. Check out the bizarre five para review of The God Delusion by one "Dickie Dawkins" on page 7 of the June issue:

http://www.alive.ie/archives/Alive!%20June%2007.pdf

On the same page, it has an incoherent rant about the catholic, er, ethos too. Mmm, tasty!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Holland pushing ‘gay’
    agenda on world’s poor
    THE Dutch government has begun a heartless campaign
    against the world’s poorest people, using its
    development aid to force them to accept the homosexual
    agenda.
    The move will be seen by many as Western neo-colonialism
    at its worst.
    Dutch embassies have been told to investigate “homosexual
    rights” in the 36 countries receiving foreign aid
    from Holland, and to apply pressure to promote public
    acceptance of homosexual behaviour.
    “We are not going to cut development funds or halt aid
    just like that,” said a Foreign Affairs spokesman. Rather,
    he said, the Minister prefers “to keep the dialogue
    open.”
    Holland has a history of bullying its poorer “partner
    countries” to accept Dutch social policy. Just a few
    months ago it threatened Nicaragua with the loss of aid
    from the Netherlands and the EU if it did not permit abortion
    of the unborn.
    ● Dutch embassy: Tel: 01 2693444

ROFL

i think I'm going to subscribe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jeez Louise, that anti-gay thing is a bit much..... Alive is a fairly widespread paper, too. Saw a pile of them freely available in UCD the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Jeez Louise, that anti-gay thing is a bit much..... Alive is a fairly widespread paper, too. Saw a pile of them freely available in UCD the other day.

Confiscate them as a concerned citizen, I think the GLBT folkls would support the move ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Just read the "Dikie Dawkins" article.

No really ... is this a joke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mordeth wrote: »
    ROFL

i think I'm going to subscribe...

Might join you in that! It can supplement my weekly read of The Onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

robindch wrote: »
    No, it's not -- I know somebody who subscribes to this and I'm fairly sure that you can get it in those racks down the back of most catholic churches. Some of the thing's personal ads sound just heart-breaking to me.

But it's not without its humor either. Check out the bizarre five para review of The God Delusion by one "Dickie Dawkins" on page 7 of the June issue:

http://www.alive.ie/archives/Alive!%20June%2007.pdf

On the same page, it has an incoherent rant about the catholic, er, ethos too. Mmm, tasty!

?
    Pure madness I tell you, they don't even discuss the merits or lack thereof of the book, instead there's a bizarre segueway into another story about a homosexual itialian author who has seen the light... and what is this Dickie Dawkins stuff all about? Do they think they can discredit a man by making his name sound like a cartoon character? Maybe they can, maybe people are that stupid... after who buys the publication in question anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Isn't it free?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Isn't it free?
    Ye get yer money's worth...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

‘Make Science optional for kids’
    CHILDREN in Britain are spending massive amounts of time learning about saturated fats and Ohm’s law, “but nothing about the great achievements of Western civilisation,” according to Dr James Le Fanu. As a result of education reforms introduced in the 1980s there is now “a major bias in favour of the sciences,” he wrote in the Sunday Telegraph. “The bias arises from the utterly mistaken idea that science is somehow more important, more relevant than the humanities, whereas it is difficult to imagine anything more irrelevant to the educated mind than saturated fats,” he wrote. Arguing that classroom boredom was partly responsible for increasing psychological and behavioural problems in teenagers, he called for science to be made optional, “thus freeing up time for pupils to learn about the real world.
    Optional science? Learn instead about the "real world"?

"Alive" is The Onion without the satire!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Ah Alive, kept me entertained on visits to my Grannies. Now at least I can get it on pdf. Hmm, some letter writing might be in order...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

stevejazzx wrote: »
    ?
    Pure madness I tell you, they don't even discuss the merits or lack thereof of the book, instead there's a bizarre segueway into another story about a homosexual itialian author who has seen the light... and what is this Dickie Dawkins stuff all about? Do they think they can discredit a man by making his name sound like a cartoon character? Maybe they can, maybe people are that stupid... after who buys the publication in question anyway?
    Having read the article, I don't think they read the Dawkins book. The article doesn't mention even one thing in it. But who cares; his name is Dickie, so it can't be any good, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Wacker wrote: »
    But who cares; his name is Dickie, so it can't be any good, right?
    I think dickie rock proves that fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Wacker wrote: »
    Having read the article, I don't think they read the Dawkins book. The article doesn't mention even one thing in it. But who cares; his name is Dickie, so it can't be any good, right?

It's a cheap dig, just like calling the Pope 'Benny' or 'Razi the Nazi".

except ratzinger actually was a nazi, not sure if dawkins has ever bveen called Dickie.. but then I've never seen it brought up in a question.

• Advertisement

Mordeth wrote: »
    except ratzinger actually was a nazi, not sure if dawkins has ever bveen called Dickie.. but then I've never seen it brought up in a question.

So Dawkins has never been a Dick?

lol

a dick, maybe.. but dickie's just downright offensive :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

I'm amazed no one commented on the front page headline of that Alive pdf from June:
    Alive wrote:
    Pope Tells Youth; You have one life, do not squander it

:confused: Is Benny 16 a closet atheist as well as Mother Theresa? ;)

Múinteoir wrote: »
    I'm amazed no one commented on the front page headline of that Alive pdf from June:
    :confused: Is Benny 16 a closet atheist as well as Mother Theresa? ;)

Why would this cause comment? Catholics, like most Christians, believe you have one life to live - so make the most of it because you won't get another chance. :confused: at your :confused:

PDN wrote: »
    Why would this cause comment? Catholics, like most Christians, believe you have one life to live - so make the most of it because you won't get another chance. :confused: at your :confused:

What happened to the afterlife?

What happened to the afterlife?
    Just a continuation of the one life.

PDN wrote: »
    Just a continuation of the one life.

Then why the need for death and resurrection? And if it's all the one life and it's eternal, why worry about wasting some of it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Then why the need for death and resurrection? And if it's all the one life and it's eternal, why worry about wasting some of it?

Well if you squander your short time here in the real world you face eternal damnation in their fantasy world of Hell. Life is kinda like a driving test really, 30 minutes of mirror, signal, maneuver followed by an eternity of sitting in traffic.

5uspect wrote: »
    Well if you squander your short time here in the real world you face eternal damnation in their fantasy world of Hell. Life is kinda like a driving test really, 30 minutes of mirror, signal, maneuver followed by an eternity of sitting in traffic.

Well in fairness you'd think he'd qualify it as 'earthly life' then, being the exact theological scholar he is. Still seems like a bit of a Freudian Slip to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Lost in translation perhaps?

Advertisement