Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation between floor boards

Options
  • 04-12-2007 2:54pm

Hi,

I just moved into a new house - 3 floors in Cork.

My problem is the person on the third floor is unable to sleep from 6:30 am as the electric shower on the second floor wakes him.

I put some insulation between the floor boards, but this has only slightly reduced the noise.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thks,

Kieran.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Unless its a standalone pump Im not sure there is much you can do...
    Those things are stupid noisy...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,418 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

normal insulation has very little sound insulating properties rockwool flexi has more but there are products which are designed as sound insulating out there which may help mind you when i was doing my floors they were more expensive (so i went with the rockwool flexi ) which cuts out the radio noise from down stairs but a pump might be a different matter. rockwool website shows you the sound insulating props of their products

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The noise/vibration is likely to be propagating along the floorboards, so you need to lift the pump onto a rubber mat or suitable feet.

Here are some ideas...
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43552&criteria=feet%20noise&doy=5m12
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33240&criteria=feet%20noise&doy=5m12

By reducing the surface area which contacts the floorboards you reduce the power of the wave traveling into them. Ideally a suspended pump would be best, but of course this isn't possible, so you need to locate the pump on a platform with the feet under it.
    Some experimentation will be required!

Advertisement