Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad Cocaine

• 04-12-2007 6:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

It looks like cocaine is finally starting to kill people in this country.There's one guy from waterford and possibly somebody else with quite a high profile.I reckon the stuff is overpriced muck that turns people into insufferable pricks but it looks like its taken a more sinister turn.It could be the time to leave the stuff alone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

let's embrace alcohol more.... that's legal and never killed anyone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

And it took the media coverage to tell you this? Words fail me!
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

whiskeyman wrote: »

Agreed, and alcohol doesnt turn people into insufferable pricks either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

People on it blow the head off ya for hours....shur u can do that with a few drinks what the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It really depends on a number of factors. There's far too much speculation on it, but if a number of death are attributed to coke in a short period of time, it's likely that the market has been flooded with something pretty vicious. Everyone gets their coke from the same scumbags, so a bad batch would hit a lot of coke users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Agreed, and alcohol doesnt turn people into insufferable pricks either.

Comparing coke/dope/whatever to alcohol is the lamest argument ever. He didn't say alcohol is ok now, did he? Start a thread on how shite alcohol is, if you think its so awful, if you're meaning to insinuate that coke is great then please, tell us all about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

cornbb wrote: »
    Comparing coke/dope/whatever to alcohol is the lamest argument ever. He didn't say alcohol is ok now, did he? Start a thread on how shite alcohol is, if you think its so awful, if you're meaning to insinuate that coke is great then please, tell us all about it.

jaysus, who flushed your stash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Did anyone report what actually killed and hospitalised those people in Waterford? What was it in the coke I wonder, or are they just saying drugs are badd, mmmkay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

jaysus, who flushed your stash?

I'd use the rolleyes smilie here if I didn't abhor it so much.

I've never taken the stuff in my life.

WindSock wrote: »
    Did anyone report what actually killed and hospitalised those people in Waterford? What was it in the coke I wonder, or are they just saying drugs are badd, mmmkay?

http://rte.ie/news/2007/1204/waterford.htm
    Gardaí believe that along with more than a dozen others, they had eaten some damp cocaine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

eh, the lads in waterford ate loads of it for some mad reason. of course that was going to make them seriously ill.

i haven't heard of anyone dying from cocaine use to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Alcohol may well be a bad thing when used to excess but at least there are governmental controls on purity and quality.If you go into a pub and order a vodka you're not getting a hit of methylated spirits mixed in somebody's shed.The fact about cocaine is that almost nobody in this country has ever had it in a pure or almost pure state,the stuff here is cut to bits with alls sorts of garbage and in thier addled state users compare one bad batch to another and know no different.It amazes me how many people use coke and would turn thier noses up at heroin,you can inject pure heroin every day for twenty years and the worst that would happen is possible constipation,providing your needles are clean.Coke wears your organs out from the inside,likewise amphetamine and serious amphetamine users dont live long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

You haven't heard a lot so have you ?

People die all the time from cocaine. Not necessarily from the drug itself but from all the crap that it's cut with etc !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Degsy wrote: »
    It looks like cocaine is finally starting to kill people in this country.There's one guy from waterford and possibly somebody else with quite a high profile.I reckon the stuff is overpriced muck that turns people into insufferable pricks but it looks like its taken a more sinister turn.It could be the time to leave the stuff alone.

Shock, horror :eek:

Words of wisdom, you can't beat them...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

Coke is for dopes, xcuse the pun!!, wait till they start smokin the stuff!!:cool:

cornbb wrote: »

I assume he drinks, and given his basis for hating cocaine, that would make him a hypocrite.

I assume he drinks, and given his basis for hating cocaine, that would make him a hypocrite.

Didnt say i hated cocaine did i?I said it turns people into complete arseholes and now its graduated to killing people..Young people.Sure i like a drink but i've been around long enough to realise that some drugs make you more sociable,more relaxed,more humerous and more happy and cocaine doesnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This can sometimes be put squarely on the Ultra Conservatives....

for example there was that contaminated strain of Marijuana that circulated around the UK that was full of Glass Dust - anyone smoking that can now expect to get lung complications as the years go on.

Theres plenty of humane ways to fight you War on Drugs you bastards - don't resort to this.

I have a suspicion some vigilante decided they would remove the userbase by contaminating them. Y'know, theres a reason you can go ask for needles from a doctors office/hospital no questions asked - cos we aren't meant to be that sick that we'd rather see them all rot away from HIV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

What I find is that there is a difference between coke and drink, in that people have had drink as part of society for ages and it isn't big news. Coke is comparably brand new, and people feel the need to show off when they've taken it. This is the part of drug taking that I hate, the showing off bit. Gerra life.

Oh and everything is bad for you when you don't read the instructions. The amount of people who've died from trying to snort a sherbert (+/-) = the amount of people who've died from eating cocain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Probably a good time to point out for legal reasons a certain name shouldnt be mentioned here regarding this (even though one tabloid reported it as "a suspected cocaine overdose". They were informed that it was suspected by who exactly? Certainly not the hospital in any official channel)

Id reckon in Ireland its higher risk than elsewhere. Take the US or Spain, people get their one`er bag for the same price if not cheaper. That bag does them for a while, as the stuff is so pure and produces immediate effect.

Compare it to here. Stuff is cut with god knows what, and people have to take maybe 3 times more powder to get the same affect as Pedro in Madrid with his one bag.

• Advertisement

connundrum wrote: »
    What I find is that there is a difference between coke and drink, in that people have had drink as part of society for ages and it isn't big news. Coke is comparably brand new, and people feel the need to show off when they've taken it. This is the part of drug taking that I hate, the showing off bit. Gerra life.

Oh and everything is bad for you when you don't read the instructions. The amount of people who've died from trying to snort a sherbert (+/-) = the amount of people who've died from eating cocain.

The showing off bit does my head in.A bunch of people i used to hang out with were cocaine fiends,they'd be going to restaurants,ordering expensive meals and then being unable to eat it because they were coked out of it.When they were out (or in) doing the stuff its all they talked about,often wasting 600 quid in a night.They'd be afraid to let each other out of the room in case they were gonna have a sneaky snort..like that scene in the simpsons with the rare comic.They were allways convinced the coke was either shiite or brilliant but hoovered it up no matter what.I have never in all my life heard such bullshiit out of people as i did from that little group,coke this coke that and one of them ended up in Loman's because of the paranoia the stuff gave him.The point is anyway,they all had "good" jobs,went to the "in" places and did coke because it was the "done" thing.If ever there was a pathetic reason for doing drugs then that was it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its hard to find anyone who has died from drink using it for the first time or not intending to abuse it. Its not like you are in danger of drowning now are you. Unfortunately thats not true for coke.

Also, from personal experience everyone I know who did coke (quite a number) turned into insufferable pr*cks for the duration.

DeV.

eh, the lads in waterford ate loads of it for some mad reason. of course that was going to make them seriously ill.

The reason they ate it is quoted above. It was damp. If you leave coke/speed/whatever out in the open, especially in a warm, humid environment it gets kind of clammy and is hard to chop up into lines. It's also next to impossible to snort because it sticks to gether and gets clogged in the note or whatever you use to snort it with.

These lads decided to 'bomb' it (wrap it up in a rizla and eat it), and this is a much slower way of taking any drug as it doesn't affect you instantly. People think "well I feel grand, in fact I'm not even out-of-it yet, so i'll do some more" and obviously they did too much and it was already too late when they realised their collective mistake.
    People die all the time from cocaine. Not necessarily from the drug itself but from all the crap that it's cut with etc !

Cocaine deaths are very few and far between**. In the current climate of media-frenzies relating to any particular drugs, especially cocaine, I honestly cannot recall one instance of somebody dying from a) an overdose or b) "bad" coke in the past maybe 12 months. I'd love to be proven wrong, and suspect I will, but I honestly cannot think of one.

I tried googling 'cocaine related deaths in Ireland but couldn't find anything conclusive.

I am in no way condoning drug use of any kind (coke is crap for an awful lot of reasons), but sweeping statements like "People die all the time from cocaine" and "everyone gets their coke from the same scumbags" is just ill-informed drivel and serves no purpose.

**I'm talking about directly as a result of ingesting the drub somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This is what happens when there's no quality checks done on a substance.

Remove the quality checks from sudocream and you'll have any c*nt selling it, and a bunch of people going around with fire shooting out their arses.

Now how would one take control of the recreational drug market, and impose regulations and health and safety checks on distributors?

Why, I haven't a bloody notion.................

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Compare it to here. Stuff is cut with god knows what, and people have to take maybe 3 times more powder to get the same affect as Pedro in Madrid with his one bag.

/rings Interpol

'Yeah eh.. its a lad named Pedro, and eh.. he's in Madrid right!'

Apart from the possible need for Irish people to triple the amount of stuff taken to reach the same high due to the poor quality of stuff sourced here, I firmly believe that Irish people would take triple the amount anyway - even if the stuff was of the same quality as that sourced in the US or Europe.

We're a nation of over indulgers - see case studies: a) drink b) houses c) cars d) food (fast becoming one of the most obese nations in the EU).

I wonder will this kill off the trade, all this bad publicity. In the US, a basketball player, Len Bias, died in the mid 80s from an overdose, and usage among the young declined drastically after hitting huge highs in the late 70s/early 80s. In truth coke has been on the decline in Dublin this year, despite what out of touch rags like the sunday indo may think. 2 years ago it would be hard to go to a house party where nobody was using. Fast forward to 2007, I havent even seen the stuff infront of my eyes since about May. Ecstasy is making somewhat of a comeback. However down the country cocaine has exploded.

I wonder will this kill off the trade, all this bad publicity. In the US, a basketball player, Len Bias, died in the mid 80s from an overdose, and usage among the young declined drastically after hitting huge highs in the late 70s/early 80s. In truth coke has been on the decline in Dublin this year, despite what out of touch rags like the sunday indo may think. 2 years ago it would be hard to go to a house party where nobody was using. Fast forward to 2007, I havent even seen the stuff infront of my eyes since about May. Ecstasy is making somewhat of a comeback. However down the country cocaine has exploded.

Where exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I think its because people are eating it instead of putting it up there nostrils, ive heard story's of people being dared to eat a tablespoon and they can have it free... Then they end up in a coma or worse, dead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wonder will this kill off the trade, .

It will definitely damage it... I said before that I think coke is going out of fashion anyway.
    In my opinion, use peaked about two years ago in clubbing circles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Take drugs and you are only playing with fire. I have no sympathy for anyone ****ed up after drugs.

Where exactly?

Outside of the pale.

Yeah I've heard that E is on the way back. Wasn't there a story recently about a 12 year old in the UK who took E and then went out on a motorway to play chicken with the traffic. Evidently the kid lost.

Where exactly?

Cavan for one example. I dont touch the stuff myself (because its sh1te), but any time Ive been down lately, even in small town pubs the amount of people coming out of the jacks itching their noses has shot upward. Its all over the place. Back when it was big in Dublin 2 years ago, getting it down the sticks was an unreliable hit and miss situation, pills were plentiful but coke wasnt.

I have a theory that Ireland imports just about enough to satisfy Dublin/Cork/Limerick demand. Thats why there was so little down the country, Dubs and other town lads were using all of it. Now, the same Dublin based criminals ae importing the same amounts but, unable to shift near as much as they used to in Dublin itself, are just sending a bigger portion of it down the country. If truth be told, big time criminals dont like selling ecstasy. It doesnt have the same profit margin as it did in the early 90s. But if they are importing coke they are having trouble getting shifted, they revert back to ecstasy. Its less profitable, but money is money.

The fact a few people in this thread have agreed that its going out of fashion in Dublin, and yokes are back, makes me wonder where the newspapers get half of the guff they print on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Outside of the pale.

Yeah I've heard that E is on the way back. Wasn't there a story recently about a 12 year old in the UK who took E and then went out on a motorway to play chicken with the traffic. Evidently the kid lost.

Did that really happen? Its like people taking acid and jumping out windows a couple of stories up. Ffs, if you think you can fly take off from the ground.

bandit197 wrote: »
    Did that really happen? Its like people taking acid and jumping out windows a couple of stories up. Ffs, if you think you can fly take off from the ground.

Wow! A Bill Hicks bit in a drugs thread on AH. Who woulda thunk it.:rolleyes:

Cavan for one example. I dont touch the stuff myself (because its sh1te), but any time Ive been down lately, even in small town pubs the amount of people coming out of the jacks itching their noses has shot upward. Its all over the place. Back when it was big in Dublin 2 years ago, getting it down the sticks was an unreliable hit and miss situation, pills were plentiful but coke wasnt.

I have a theory that Ireland imports just about enough to satisfy Dublin/Cork/Limerick demand. Thats why there was so little down the country, Dubs and other town lads were using all of it. Now, the same Dublin based criminals ae importing the same amounts but, unable to shift near as much as they used to in Dublin itself, are just sending a bigger portion of it down the country. If truth be told, big time criminals dont like selling ecstasy. It doesnt have the same profit margin as it did in the early 90s. But if they are importing coke they are having trouble getting shifted, they revert back to ecstasy. Its less profitable, but money is money.

The fact a few people in this thread have agreed that its going out of fashion in Dublin, and yokes are back, makes me wonder where the newspapers get half of the guff they print on the matter.

thats probably true.About five or six years ago when coke was established as the Dublin drug of choice,E virtually vanished from the Dublin market and hash became extremely hard to come by.Longford,on the other hand was awash with chepa Es and everybody could get hash,coke on the other hand was very hard to get indeed.

• Advertisement

/rings Interpol

'Yeah eh.. its a lad named Pedro, and eh.. he's in Madrid right!'

Apart from the possible need for Irish people to triple the amount of stuff taken to reach the same high due to the poor quality of stuff sourced here, I firmly believe that Irish people would take triple the amount anyway - even if the stuff was of the same quality as that sourced in the US or Europe.

We're a nation of over indulgers - see case studies: a) drink b) houses c) cars d) food (fast becoming one of the most obese nations in the EU).

Possibly. Some people seem to view ecstasy, for example, as a test of endurance by seeing how many they can take without collapsing, even though a smaller amount would give them the required high.

thats probably true.About five or six years ago when coke was established as the Dublin drug of choice,E virtually vanished from the Dublin market and hash became extremely hard to come by.Longford,on the other hand was awash with chepa Es and everybody could get hash,coke on the other hand was very hard to get indeed.

Bit of negative corrleation there, got a scatterplot?

Possibly. Some people seem to view ecstasy, for example, as a test of endurance by seeing how many they can take without collapsing, even though a smaller amount would give them the required high.

True,i've been out with people who've necked 25 yokes in a night out.What the hell is the point?

True,i've been out with people who've necked 25 yokes in a night out.What the hell is the point?

I think they're chasing the buzz they used to get when they first started taking it.

From wikipedia
    One theory of SERT-depletion arising out of long-term MDMA use is receptor down-regulation which is one form of synaptic plasticity. When any neurotransmitter is present in excess for prolonged periods of time, the brain responds in an attempt to reestablish its own natural neuro-electrical balance. Weekly use of MDMA over a prolonged period may actually cause serotonin receptors to retreat into the dendrite of serotonin nerve cells,[35] in addition to enticing serotonin cells lower its own SERT count.[clarify] The change in synaptic serotonin concentration due to recreational MDMA use is at the extreme end of what is even possible in the brain and therefore, down-regulation could occur fairly easily with regular use.[citation needed]

This process causes the brain to become desensitized to the neurotransmitters present in the synapses and therefore also to the effects of MDMA itself. Therefore, in addition to a generally decreased quality of mood between doses, greater amounts of MDMA are required to achieve the same level of desired effects. It is this cycle that is often believed to be the cause of long-term emotional problems among regular ecstasy users

Bit of negative corrleation there, got a scatterplot?

The coke made the most money and Dublin was the biggest market.Coke,E's and hash dont really mix too well,Es and hash do though so they sell the most profitable drug in the area with the most consumers and sell the rest to the smaller market.Or something..

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    I think they're chasing the buzz they used to get when they first started taking it.

From wikipedia

A bit of both tbh. For some its true, for others they take 8 when 3 would have given them what they needed.

A bit of both tbh. For some its true, for others they take 8 when 3 would have given them what they needed.

yeah probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I don't use coke, but I have really only noticed its usage within the last few months (Limerick and north Cork).

Maybe I was only innocent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

SHUSH!!! :eek:

No names dammit! Use your loaf though man, its not the pope they are taking about :rolleyes:

I have changed my post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

Myth wrote: »
    http://rte.ie/news/2007/1204/waterford.htm
    Quote:
    Gardaí believe that along with more than a dozen others, they had eaten some damp cocaine.

Nobody told our sherlocks you can't eat powder without it getting damp.

Coke-heads suck. As always the deaths happened because of our stupid "war on drugs" that we can't win. Time for a more sophisticated solution IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

You havnt a clue do you?bet you've never got pure coke in your life..ergo you dont know what the **** you're taking,or what the **** you're talking about.

lol and I suppose you've gotten pure cocaine

Are you a Colombian drug trafficker by any chance because no cocaine is in anyway pure after it leaves the plantation in Colombia

you clearly don't know what your talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Alcohol may well be a bad thing when used to excess but at least there are governmental controls on purity and quality.If you go into a pub and order a vodka you're not getting a hit of methylated spirits mixed in somebody's shed.The fact about cocaine is that almost nobody in this country has ever had it in a pure or almost pure state,the stuff here is cut to bits with alls sorts of garbage and in thier addled state users compare one bad batch to another and know no different.It amazes me how many people use coke and would turn thier noses up at heroin,you can inject pure heroin every day for twenty years and the worst that would happen is possible constipation,providing your needles are clean.Coke wears your organs out from the inside,likewise amphetamine and serious amphetamine users dont live long!

thats it exactly, when alcohol was illegal in the states during prohibation in the 1920s i am sure people were dying or getting violently sick drinking small amounts of god knows what, mixed up in someones bathtub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Take drugs and you are only playing with fire. I have no sympathy for anyone ****ed up after drugs.

seconded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

bandit197 wrote: »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2218526,00.html

It's true that pills are more popular again; people have realised that they're more fun for a fraction of the cost.

I don't use coke, but I have really only noticed its usage within the last few months (Limerick and north Cork).

Maybe I was only innocent...

Nope, just a re distribution of supply. People in Limerick city and Cork city cant be arsed after having used it for the past 4 odd years continously. The crims are simply replacing the market.

Have known a few people who would do coke put not pills, they seem to view it as more dangerous. Personally, someone sitting down and shovelling a huge amount of white powder up their nose in a short time looks more dangerous than swallowing a yoke but anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement