Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad Cocaine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Same goes for alcohol, but drugs are far more addictive and the effects manifest themselves far quicker. My point is that a person can regulate their alcohol intake for the most part, as alcoholism is more of a mental than a physical addiction, whereas class A drugs affect your body in a way that makes the dosage need to be higher and higher and the withdrawl worse. A normal person taking class A drugs in the same way as most people drink would become addicted very very quickly.
    Fair enough for the most part. And it depends on quantity too. Although I'm not sure whether I'd agree with this:
    alcoholism is more of a mental than a physical addiction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Dudess wrote: »
    Fair enough for the most part. And it depends on quantity too. Although I'm not sure whether I'd agree with this:

But barring that we have some form of consensus on the matter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Heroin = misery pain death ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nutrigrain25

I think its because people are eating it instead of putting it up there nostrils, ive heard story's of people being dared to eat a tablespoon and they can have it free... Then they end up in a coma or worse, dead...

Reckon we should clear this myth up once and for all. If anything wetting or dampening the coke will only serve to destroy it and reduce its potency. Also eating is a big waste of time as the stomach acids also destroy the drug. Not like speed which can be ingested or snorted.
    Wasnt there also speed found at the party? Mixing these 2 stimulants is defo not good idea as coke really ups ur BP and Heart etc. and the speed effect lasts for ages so your heart is under lot of strain for longer. The only thing with eating it is that the mixing agents can really be numbing and effect lasts longer than if they were not in it. This can really numb your air way and this can be very dangerous!! Of course most people can do all this crazyness and most of time get away with it but sometimes time catches up with you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

That's because there's sod-all heroin in Cork.

Heroin seizure in Cork

And another one

Heroin related deaths in Cork City

It's here all right. Any one who takes drugs whether they pay for it or not contribute to the ongoing gang related murders in this country in my opinion.

They take up hospital beds and HDU's when a geniunely ill person may need it. They are as scummy as those who deal it and they deserve everything they get coming to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Same goes for alcohol, but drugs are far more addictive and the effects manifest themselves far quicker. My point is that a person can regulate their alcohol intake for the most part, as alcoholism is more of a mental than a physical addiction, whereas class A drugs affect your body in a way that makes the dosage need to be higher and higher and the withdrawl worse. A normal person taking class A drugs in the same way as most people drink would become addicted very very quickly.

O.K well lets not generalize ecstasy is Class A and is not addictive

and cocaine is about as addictive as alcohol

Alcohol is much more physically addictive than mentally so your wrong there

I disagree the dosage doesn't need to be higher and higher people just tend to get used to the high and take it to the next level. It's like when you first start drinking you might have 2 or 3 cans and be drunk but once you've been drinking for a few months your up to 6 cans and so on that generally happens with every drug until you reach a plateau and can't go any higher.

As I said there are plenty of people who take ecstasy and cocaine every week and aren't addicted they are both class A drugs.

If your talking about heroin then yes you probably would. But if heroin was legal, clean and affordable would it be so bad.

Ecstasy is not physically addictive, it can be psychologically addictive though.

Screw it, lets simplify, I'll be drinking a few pints a couple of nights at the weekend, max 4 a night. Would I be better of having a hit of heroin each night in your opinion?

It depends I don't know you.

Heroin is more addictive than alcohol but is less addictive than ciggarettes despite popular belief you don't just take a hit of heroin and get instantly addicted. [I've worked with disaffected kids who had used heroin a couple of dozen of times who weren't addicted]

I would say of course you would be better off drinking a few nights a week

but if you had access to clean heroin and didn't have an addictive personality then maybe not.

Ecstasy is not physically addictive, it can be psychologically addictive though.

Not to the point where people need a hit of ecstasy to get through the day or even the week.

Trojan911 wrote: »
    It's not clear whether those finds were intended for the Cork market though.
    Very, very little though. And it's only starting. SpAcEd OuT already posted that link as an example of how few heroin deaths there are in Cork, but he was basing it on the assumption that heroin use is widespread here, which it very much isn't.
    This is a quote from that article:
    Before early 2006, details of just one heroin-related death had been heard in Cork Coroner’s Court in the previous 10 years.

But, speaking after an inquest yesterday into a heroin overdose, Dr Myra Cullinane said there had been five heroin-related inquests before her court in the last 18 months.

“And there are more pending,” she said.

“It is quite worrying that this drug is becoming more prevalent in this city which, until recently, had escaped this scourge.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

The fact remains though, Heroin was seized in Cork. Deaths from Heroin are in Cork. If, as you say, its minimal here, do you have facts/stats to prove this. Where are your sources to back this up? My other sources tell me it is more than just very, very little.

Here is an interesting site I came across

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Reckon we should clear this myth up once and for all. If anything wetting or dampening the coke will only serve to destroy it and reduce its potency. Also eating is a big waste of time as the stomach acids also destroy the drug. Not like speed which can be ingested or snorted.

Read my earlier posy Nutigrain. Eating or ingesting Cocaine is a far far more dangerous method in terms of overdosing then snorting it.
    What you've posted is in fairness complete nonsense.

It is in no way a myth.

A-Trak: everything else in your post was right but as far as ingesting coke orally being more dangerous or potent it is completely the opposite. where are you sourcing this info? thats the whole reason it is snorted or rubbed on gums because it has to be absorbed directly through soft tissue.

A-Trak: everything else in your post was right but as far as ingesting coke orally being more dangerous or potent it is completely the opposite. where are you sourcing this info? thats the whole reason it is snorted or rubbed on gums because it has to be absorbed directly through soft tissue.

The lining of your stomach is what?

I'm basing my info on chemsitry and biology. The reason cocaine is generally snorted is that it gets into your blood stream as it's absorbed via your mucous membranes and gives a quick hit. But you mucous membranes are tiny compared to the gigantic membrane that is your stomach lining.

Your stomach acid very little to dimunish the potentcy of cocaine, in fact your stomach is lot more cabable of getting it into your blood stream then your nose.
    If you eat it the effect will be slower yet a lot more profound.

Fact - If you eat coke, the "dosage" will have more effect then if you had snorted it.

What are you basing your opinion on?

A-Trak, this is going off the point but do a simple google search and you'll find your answer
    E.g.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine

"Because cocaine is hydrolyzed and rendered inactive in the acidic stomach, it is not readily absorbed when ingested alone. Only when mixed with a highly alkaline substance (such as lime) can it be absorbed into the bloodstream through the stomach. The efficiency of absorption of orally administered cocaine is limited by two additional factors. First, the drug is partly catabolized by the liver. Second, capillaries in the mouth and esophagus constrict after contact with the drug, reducing the surface area over which the drug can be absorbed...........Therefore, this is an actual additional form of administration of cocaine, albeit an inefficient one."

A-Trak, this is going off the point but do a simple google search and you'll find your answer
    E.g.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine

Firstly, your quoting wikipedia.

Secondly, the very article you're quoting actually contadicts the point you're making that eating coke has no effect.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Contrary to popular belief, both ingestion and insufflation result in approximately the same proportion of the drug being absorbed: 30 to 60%. Compared to ingestion, the faster absorption of insufflated cocaine results in quicker attainment of maximum drug effects. Snorting cocaine produces maximum physiological effects within 40 minutes and maximum psychotropic effects within 20 minutes, however, a more realistic activation period is closer to 5 to 10 minutes, which is similar to ingestion of cocaine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I'll just say this.

There's No Hope With Dope!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Hey people relax, think about how many people got f'ed up in the past few weeks from coke, then think about how many were overdoses, now think about how many people in Ireland use coke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Spaced out (can't be arsed doing the whole capital letter thing) has been banned.
    Please ignore all his posts.

Of course, some of you will quote them anyway, because you have just read what you want to read and will then post without reading the rest of the thread.

Also, any references to Irish celebrities using cocaine will result in a permanent ban.
    The excuse that you did not see this post does not excuse you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Terry wrote: »
    Spaced out (can't be arsed doing the whole capital letter thing) has been banned.
    Please ignore all his posts.

Of course, some of you will quote them anyway, because you have just read what you want to read and will then post without reading the rest of the thread.

Also, any references to Irish celebrities using cocaine will result in a permanent ban.
    The excuse that you did not see this post does not excuse you.

I was in The Mirror once, so does that include me?

If you are asking if you are a sad ****, then yes. Yes it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Terry wrote: »
    If you are asking if you are a sad ****, then yes. Yes it does.

Do i take it that the AH ban on personal abuse has been lifted?

About ****ing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

i think there is some pure substance going around at the moment, it is around my area @ the moment and people think it's pretty much "off the block".

i think its the combination of cocaine and alcohol thats the dangerous side......
    i dont do the stuff , and dont want to either. but taking even high quality coke on its own isnt all that ,....... but even a few drinks combined with the coke is when people get massive effects.

the coke problem is rampant not thru only every council estate in the country but in all areas of life. everybody's sniffing this crap, i see it all the time from kids (teenagers) at parties, middle class socialites , and business people too.

this is going to be a more serious problem than people think.
    its not that the coke addicts will be robbing people on the street , but the long term health effects on themselves.

i know many people that wouldnt consider going out at the weekend without a bit of white. ... they wouldnt consider themselves addicts, but its not far off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

if people think back to the heroin epidemic of the 80's in dublin,........
    now, consider the acid/XTC era in 90's and 2000.
    now finally consider the cocaine epidemic of today ,..................isnt there 20 times the amount of coke users than there were heroin abusers ?
    there is probably 5 times the numbe of coke users then there were XTC users !!!!:O

im telling you'z this .....in 5 years time will be witnessing the full effects of this epidemic. unless of course something else comes along that can pinacle the demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They were discussing coke use on Newstalk earlier and it was suggested that information leaflets be distributed to explain safe usage, and some gobsh*te actually rang in opposed to it. Opposed to EDUCATION!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Degsy wrote: »
    It amazes me how many people use coke and would turn thier noses up at heroin,you can inject pure heroin every day for twenty years and the worst that would happen is possible constipation,providing your needles are clean.

Ah, I love the internet sometimes. Its where people really think hearsay is truth.
    I would suggest reading a little further into heroin, and possibly take a visit to some drug and alcohol centres, also take a visit to a few hospitals and ask them what damage heroin can cause.

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Do i take it that the AH ban on personal abuse has been lifted?

About ****ing time.
    No.
    I starred out the word "Boyo" for dramatic effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Never touch the stuff , and never will.
    Anyone who does, knows the risk ,or is too stupid to know and deserves everything they get!!!
    If hard white dog****(rarer than coke these days) gave you a buzz , im sure they snort it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hurray another cocaine thread! Bliss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    I wonder will this kill off the trade, all this bad publicity. In the US, a basketball player, Len Bias, died in the mid 80s from an overdose, and usage among the young declined drastically after hitting huge highs in the late 70s/early 80s. In truth coke has been on the decline in Dublin this year, despite what out of touch rags like the sunday indo may think. 2 years ago it would be hard to go to a house party where nobody was using. Fast forward to 2007, I havent even seen the stuff infront of my eyes since about May. Ecstasy is making somewhat of a comeback. However down the country cocaine has exploded.

Any party I have been to in the last two years has been rampant with the stuff. In my local at least every second fella is on Coke at the weekend and I know loads of people who take coke every time they go on a session. In advance of our Chrimbo party next week people are already sorting out the Coke for it. The stuff is rampant but Im not quite sure that the media have depicted acurately who is taking and how they are taking it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Jumpy wrote: »
    Ah, I love the internet sometimes. Its where people really think hearsay is truth.
    I would suggest reading a little further into heroin, and possibly take a visit to some drug and alcohol centres, also take a visit to a few hospitals and ask them what damage heroin can cause.

I dont need to read anything.What i said is true,its unsafe injecting practises combined with adulterated heroin that cause the problems.

Well, at least it's taken the spotlight off all the stoners........

<<
    >>

*takes a toke*

<<
    >>

*takes a toke*

*aint seen none in ages*

I dont need to read anything.What i said is true,its unsafe injecting practises combined with adulterated heroin that cause the problems.

Interesting...
    Would you consider methadone as the equivalent of "unadulterated" heroin?

Jumpy wrote: »
    Interesting...
    Would you consider methadone as the equivalent of "unadulterated" heroin?

Not really,the mode of ingestion is different.However,you can happily take methadone in prescribed quantities forever(in theory) without any risk of fatality.

<<
    >>

*takes a toke*

Agreed , *breaks out the MK Ultra*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Why? Wtf?

If it's for fear of libel then it's no wonder half the country is using coke. And if this is the current state of affair's good riddence to ye coke riddled feckers!

Just die, bring the property market crashing down, and Ill be back in a few years to claim a much refreshed country :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You Suck! wrote: »
    If it's for fear of libel then it's no wonder half the country is using coke.
    When it's your cash on the line, feel free to say whatever you like.

Not really,the mode of ingestion is different.However,you can happily take methadone in prescribed quantities forever(in theory) without any risk of fatality.

Ah ok, understood now. I am taking into account the full damage of heroin (cut or uncut) to someones life, health + mental health + family + job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

When it's your cash on the line, feel free to say whatever you like.

Can't disagree with you, but the situation is ridiculous none the less.

As an auld boy used to say:"This country is fúcked, and everyone in it it fúcked!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 upthetown

Surely there must be some link between the 3 deaths, plus two more comas today and the multiple kilos seized in Cork recently. A bale of the same stuff washed up on the shore only last week so I'm sure some industrious fella got his hands on it at some stage. The guys arrested down there were the top of the food chain kind of dealers so you can be sure the coke was pure as the driven snow, excuse the pun. Ordinarily it would have been diluted with some crap to make it 80% weaker before it got to Irish punters, but I bet some of this wholesale stuff has found its way on to the coffee tables of these poor buggers and caused the spate of casualties. I'd give it a miss for the next few months to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

That's probably it- too pure- don't forget teh crowd in Waterford -ATE the "damp" cocaine. Complete OD I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

SetantaL wrote: »
    That's probably it- too pure- don't forget teh crowd in Waterford -ATE the "damp" cocaine. Complete OD I'd say
    You can't make reference to them. The guys who died who died might be watching. We wouldn't want to offend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Binomate wrote: »
    You can't make reference to them. The guys who died who died might be watching. We wouldn't want to offend them.

Eh???

:confused:

A doctor in the Sunday times said the media is highlighting alot of cases of cocaine related illnesses and deaths becuase it is a hot topic at the moment. Because there have been high profile deaths in recent months the papers are actually reporting them now.

It something that has been going on unnoticed for the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I very much doubt the media where ignoring drug related deaths. They love them always have done. The fact is drug related deaths are few and far between and usually caused by mixing in something lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

There is deffo bad coke going around as 2 more people are in hosiptal in coma.Ver Very sad news.The drug dealers seriously need jail or need to be shot.

drdre wrote: »
    There is deffo bad coke going around as 2 more people are in hosiptal in coma.Ver Very sad news.The drug dealers seriously need jail or need to be shot.

PROPZ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

hottstuff wrote: »
    PROPZ!

I wasnt messing, I was serious as im fed ip of drug dealers making money and there products are killing innocent people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

drdre wrote: »

Err... what about the lads who actually snorted it? When did personal responsibility fly out the window? Holding each person accountable for his actions. It was a choice these guys made knowing that sometimes that choice can result in death. Doesnt happen often but none the less theres still a chance.

And when something like this does happen dont whine about the drug dealers, politicians or society. The Blame clearly ends at the end of the users noise

Advertisement