Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the government give more help to reatilers?

Options
2»

Comments

Absolutely terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Pete4779 wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll be happy when you do all your shopping for everything at a giant Tesco somewhere in Athlone. That's the natural "result" of uncontrolled capitalism.

We're meant to be deciding what sort of country we live in, not a bunch of multinationals. If it was truly survival of the fittest, you'll have no problem with being fired tomorrow then for someone who will do your job as well but for €50 less a year.

Ehh yeah, that IS happening! A profitable company is pulling out of Ireland because they want to make BIGGER profits somewhere else!

Anyway x2 for the planning laws controlling megashops. If the corrupt politicians or councillors can be paid enough to ignore bribes.

I still do my grocery shopping in a few different places, including farmers markets, NOT the cheapest but good quality, good service, and with a smile. Different to service with a smirk ya know!

Stop paying for other peoples lifestyles - use the money you earn to finance YOUR lifestyle. If you are feeling charitable, don't give it to an overpriced shop, give it to starving kids, sightsavers etc. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

jmayo wrote: »
    Is this a p*** take, it has to be ?
    Are we the taxpayers meant to now subsidise the retailers along with the developers and the builders ?
    I buy almost all of my camera gear and electronics on the net because prices are just too high here. Why pay a high street shop in Ireland €1000 for a camera you can buy from Germany for €800?
    It would probably be even cheaper if bought from Hong Kong or States.

Within last year I have spent about €3000 on stuff from foreign based retailers that would have cost near €4000 if bought in retail outlets in Ireland.
    That is a big saving even after factoring in delivery charges.
    As the saying goes "Do the Maths".

PS I also have gotten a free can of beer included in package from German outlet. It was a nice touch that I never received from any of my Irish suppliers.

You buy your camera gear from Germany because its cheaper. Same reason I've done most of my xmas shopping online this year. As I previously stated, the prices in Ireland are high for a variety of reasons and a large part of the high prices are high taxes and high overheads. Not all Irish retailers are creaming it. I should be clear here and say that the section of retail I'm concerned for is the independent retailer. I think it would be a shame for Dublin streets and become a "little England" as regards the stores on offer. Any breaks given to independent retailers would be done to give them a better chance to survive against larger competition as opposed to give retailers a better chance to screw the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Diceicle wrote: »
    You buy your camera gear from Germany because its cheaper. Same reason I've done most of my xmas shopping online this year. As I previously stated, the prices in Ireland are high for a variety of reasons and a large part of the high prices are high taxes and high overheads. Not all Irish retailers are creaming it. I should be clear here and say that the section of retail I'm concerned for is the independent retailer. I think it would be a shame for Dublin streets and become a "little England" as regards the stores on offer. Any breaks given to independent retailers would be done to give them a better chance to survive against larger competition as opposed to give retailers a better chance to screw the public.

Yes it is somehting that has been happening here over last 10 odd years.
    The multinationals have copped on to the fact that we are spending like mad eejits so they are moving in.
    Why else would Harvey Norman, Argos, Harvey Nichols, Hosue of fRaser etc be setting up here. They want to cash in.
    The sad thing that is happening here, is what you will see in lots of French towns or in American towns. There are out of town shopping centres going up and you have large department stores or multifunction stores opening.
    The local small shops are closing, they cannot compete.
    It may be sad, but that also does not mean that I should pay way above what I would pay by shopping around to keepthem in business.
    A big problem here is that operating costs are high, but also markups can be high if they feel they can get away with it.

To the other poster who complains I check out the goods in an Irish shop.
    It is so great to spend sometime in the presence of some of these oh so mighty shop assistants when they deem you worthy of their attention.
    Afterall they have to discuss the night beofre ortext their friend about someone on bebo.
    I have found some people in camera shops who think you are about do a smash and grab, whereas you get some patronising little geek in a computer shop who thinks the internet was invented by either Bill Gates or Linus Torvalds and how would you know anything.
    It makes it all the more enjoyable when you just walk :D

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement