Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP- Phone repair question

Options
  • 04-12-2007 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

sent my 3month old nokia n95 in for repair in a carphone warehouse (didn't buy it in a carphone warehouse, thats where nokia told me to bring it in) Got it back today, and some things are still not fixed. the people were helpful in the shop but they told me bring it back to the shop i bought it and ask for a new phone?

Whats the chances? requirements for repairs? and if not satisfied?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

What network did you buy the phone from?

O2 will replace any handset under warranty straight away without sending it for repair (or they use to) You may have mucked that up with the repair already been done by CPW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

They're going to tell you it's water damaged. Then a big argument will ensue, on this very forum. True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Musha wrote: »

O2 will replace any handset under warranty straight away without sending it for repair (or they use to) You may have mucked that up with the repair already been done by CPW

its one of the voda unlocked ones, but i have never used the vodafone sim, i use it on three, bought it in zoocom. gonna go into 2moro and see, they seem fairly ok, just not sure what they will say

and its nothing to do with water, its the volume button at the side, wont raise the volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Buceph wrote: »
    They're going to tell you it's water damaged. Then a big argument will ensue, on this very forum. True story.

come to think of it, it's been a while hasn't it:D

Anyway the OP said that it won't raise the volume, so it can't be the water levels, the phone has enough reserve of water in the speaker if the OP can hear voices (on the phone).

OP, suggest you try the likes of GSM solution's they generally are very good, not sure if they are nokia certified so you may have to pay for the repair yourself. You could also try fonemenders, who are certified so they should be able to charge nokia for the repair directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Where do you live? it might be easier to bring it to MPRC in sandyford ind est(green luas) or the mobile phone repair shop (beside the nokia shop) Dawson street - they are nokia centres which will have it back to you sooner... fonemenders on St. Anne street do it aswell. CPW service is good but these guys have engineers onsite.... (fonemenders & the mobile phone repair shop are only level 2 i think, 95's might need to go direct to level 3 which is MPRC)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be covered under your consumer rights, you have to take it back to the store from where you purchased it. Your contract is with that store and should be your first point of contact.

Look at the National Consumer Agency website for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Musha wrote: »

Not necessairly, all the major phone shops use repairers that are authorised subcontractors of the mobile phone companies. These include MPRC, Anovo, and Sigma. These guys are subcontracted by the phone companies to do their repairs - most companies closed their inhouse repair teams long ago and outsourced everything.

Provided the the handset had fixed by an authorised repairer then there is no problem in getting it fixed again. I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with o2's SOS service as in theory they only replace handsets that have been bought from their stores, although occasionally others do slip through the net.

I'm fed up of hearing the "its not water damaged" crap i've had customers with some kind of oilystuff dripping out of the back of the phone in the back of their phone claim its never been near any source of moisture whatsoever. Its nothing to do with the shop, the authorised repairer comes with the diagnosis, its their word against the customers. I don't agree with the whole having to wait for a phone to fixed three times thats put in place by most retailers, i think its a rather unfair policy and should be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Buceph wrote: »

sigh
    neilled wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with o2's SOS service as in theory they only replace handsets that have been bought from their stores, although occasionally others do slip through the net.
    they won't swap out the phone. you have to have proof of purchase and the imei won't be on their system. unless he knows someone working in the shop who's willing to "make a mistake"
    I'm fed up of hearing the "its not water damaged" crap i've had customers with some kind of oilystuff dripping out of the back of the phone in the back of their phone claim its never been near any source of moisture whatsoever.
    one customer dropped in a phone and swore it was nowhere near water. under the screen was covered in condensation :D

Its nothing to do with the shop, the authorised repairer comes with the diagnosis, its their word against the customers.
    not quite. its the customer's word against that of the very expensive equipment that's designed to find moisture. and of course the strip on some phones that changes colour when it comes in contact with moisture
    I don't agree with the whole having to wait for a phone to fixed three times thats put in place by most retailers, i think its a rather unfair policy and should be changed.
    yeah that pisses me off too, especially since i was the person who had to tell them this crappy policy

haven't had a chance to get into the shop yet, hate the thought of sending it away again and so close to chrimbo prob take ages. thats why im hopping my mite be nice and give a new one.

has anyone brought back the vodafone unlocked ones? im afraid they will give me one that is locked now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

davton wrote: »
    haven't had a chance to get into the shop yet, hate the thought of sending it away again and so close to chrimbo prob take ages. thats why im hopping my mite be nice and give a new one.

has anyone brought back the vodafone unlocked ones? im afraid they will give me one that is locked now :(

The question the Op has not answered is that is where on earth he bought the thing in the first place. As has been said before, try dropping it into the place mentioned by the other places, the nokia service centre on annes street or the mprc out in sandyford.

Re vimes - It seems that one or two phones are slipping through the cracks in o2 sos as I've discovered in recent weeks, probably down to honest mistakes on the part of the staff and customers who insist they bought a phone in a shop where they didn't.

Note to Musha - O2 do not give you a new handset, you get a unit that has been reconditioned, ie one that has been fixed before.

• Advertisement

I went into templecom today, and all she said was they would send it away, and she told me if i wasn't happy i would have to talk to the manger who wasn't in today.

when i sent it for repair in carphone warehouse it was sent to MPRC.

still left with the question is sending it away again good enough, or should it be changed for a brand new handset?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

davton wrote: »
    I went into templecom today, and all she said was they would send it away, and she told me if i wasn't happy i would have to talk to the manger who wasn't in today.

when i sent it for repair in carphone warehouse it was sent to MPRC.

still left with the question is sending it away again good enough, or should it be changed for a brand new handset?

Why haven't you gone back to Zoocom to get the phone sorted out? If you went back to where you bought it they will sort it out or send it for repair. The other places are just fobbing you off cause it's nothing to do with them, easiest way for them is to send it away and let Nokia sort it out, where as Zoocom have to deal with it as that's who you have your contract with. Sending it back through 2 other shops mightn't show on their system so it may have to go through the 3 repairs loop again.
    has anyone brought back the vodafone unlocked ones? im afraid they will give me one that is locked now

Did you unlock yourself or was it bought unlocked? If they sold you an unlocked phone they have to replace it with an unlocked phone, if you unlocked it then you're going to have to unlock the new one same way you did the old one.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why haven't you gone back to Zoocom to get the phone sorted out? If you went back to where you bought it they will sort it out or send it for repair. The other places are just fobbing you off cause it's nothing to do with them, easiest way for them is to send it away and let Nokia sort it out, where as Zoocom have to deal with it as that's who you have your contract with. Sending it back through 2 other shops mightn't show on their system so it may have to go through the 3 repairs loop again.

Did you unlock yourself or was it bought unlocked? If they sold you an unlocked phone they have to replace it with an unlocked phone, if you unlocked it then you're going to have to unlock the new one same way you did the old one.

it came unlocked, but it is a vodafone phone, and i did buy it in templecom, said zoocom by mistake in the other post

got a call today, and MPRC said it was 'customer damage' and it would cost €90 to fix it. i told them im not paying it, i didn't drop it or whatever, it was in my hand when it happened, i could feel the volume button just move in.

Whats the best way to handle this? i was thinking of trying a different repair company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

make a claim through the small claims court for the cost of the repair as you are claiming the damage is from some phone fault. most design flaws/faults are found this way by customers not accepting the lame "customer damaged" response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Note to Musha - O2 do not give you a new handset, you get a unit that has been reconditioned, ie one that has been fixed before.

They gave me a brand new out of the box SE Z520i when my own would not take a charge, No questions, justed checked the IMEI and off i went :D

Advertisement