Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

golf

Options
  • 04-12-2007 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

why do golfs use a lot of engine oil? Got a mk5 and its only out of the dealers 2 weeks and i have had to fill it up. had a mk4 before this and it also used plenty of oil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

why do golfs use a lot of engine oil? Got a mk5 and its only out of the dealers 2 weeks and i have had to fill it up. had a mk4 before this and it also used plenty of oil

It really depends on the way you drive the car.Ive had afew golf's and havnt had a problem.

Was it serviced by the dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

VW have a set maximum acceptable level per 1000km that the oil can burn, if yours is above that level then they may do repairs or replace your engine. It's normal to burn some oil though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As already stated - it's normal enough - 1 litre per 1000kms is the point where VW will consider it a problem. The more kms you clock up the less the oil consumption. Usually it will settle down to a large extent after the first service. Just keep a strict eye on the oil level - and it would be no harm to record the odometer reading as you top up - just in case you do have a problem because this is what the dealer will ask you to do in the event that you alert them of an oil consumption issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭tigerforest

i have just done over 1000 miles in two weeks. the car was fully serviced before i purchased. i checked it last week and it was 3/4 way up the marker then the light came on tonight, topped up the best part of a litre so will check it every few nights to see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Presume yours is petrol?

There's a TDI in the household here (over 100k) and it never uses any between 10k service intervals.

Although it may be within "limits" burning the guts of a litre over 1000 miles is not on IMHO. Go back to the dealer - if he won't sort it out, get rid of it. This rate of consumption belongs in a bygone age.

• Advertisement
Advertisement