Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good restaurant

Options
  • 04-12-2007 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

anyone know a good rest for saturday night?? is the lord bagnel any good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

La treks on Tullow St Weeping Thaiger before graigue bridge or new Italian connection on burrin st. Lord bagnal ok since it was done up. Stay away from lemongrass, standard way bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Italian Connection is good

I haven't had any problems with Lemon Grass

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

thanks guys have booked the itailan connection hope its nice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Did you not see the article in the Nationalist a few months ago about the manager? Was interesting reading. Anyway myself and a few frined went there alot for bdays and nights out and never had any problems up until a few months back. The service was crap and the food was worse. The manager spent the whole evening sitting at a table beside us on the internet shopping for clothes while the rest of the staff were up to there eyes. We wer enever asked if we wanted wine/beer or a dessert. The food was cold and one of my friends got her meal after everyone else had nearly finished theres. So I wont be going again. Also heard other stories about drugs etc and the staff. I think that was the basis for the Nationalist story. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

The Italian Connection has nice food, my problem with it, is the seating arrangements. Tables are very close together and when going with one other be prepared to hear everything your neighbour has to say.

Its just too cramped imo, so I wouldnt go there for a meal with my partner again.

Once again I would like to recommend The Lord Bagenals' new restaurant as the best in the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I hope for your sake the Italain Connection its not full of Hen parties ....

The Shapla is a great Indian ...

Beams on Dublin St is great (if it is still open) real wholesome tasty food...:)

The Italian Connection has nice food, my problem with it, is the seating arrangements. Tables are very close together and when going with one other be prepared to hear everything your neighbour has to say.

Its just too cramped imo, so I wouldnt go there for a meal with my partner again.

Once again I would like to recommend The Lord Bagenals' new restaurant as the best in the county.
    They make good use of the space :)

We had dinner in there last Saturday night and I wasn't bothered by the proximity of the other tables and the limoncello was excellent!

I do like the food there, Ive probably eaten in the Kilkenny restaurant more. The veal is my fave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭honkytonk52

if you are into chinese go to cantons room above coppingers pub just on the way down to graigue by far the nicest chinese in town

The Jasmine near Askea is nice also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

if you are into chinese go to cantons room above coppingers pub just on the way down to graigue by far the nicest chinese in town

I second that. Brilliant, and your not rushed out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Lautrecs is fantastic. As is that new Italian on Tullow St. The place above Coppingers is lovely as well. Can't say I've ever had a problem with Lemongrass and I eat there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Anyone miss Las Rada? Ate there a few times and loved it. Shame it had to close.

If you don't mind a half hour drive, Rinuccini in Kilkenny is fantastic, and so is Sha-Roe in Clonegal....

Not crazy about Lautrecs... Haven't tried La Piccola or Italian Connection yet. Heading to Carlow for Christmas so looking forward to some nice meals out....

Mr E wrote: »
    Anyone miss Las Rada? Ate there a few times and loved it. Shame it had to close.
    Las Rada was fantastic. I really miss it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Las Rada or as it was known before La Strada :) was brill. It was one of my regular spots to go on a night out :)

Lautrecs is lovely but not near as nice as rinnucini's in Kilkenny, that is one of the best Italians that I have eaten in ever!...

Haven't tried Sha-Roe in Clonegal yet but have also heard nothing but good things about it :-)

Agreed on La Strada, loved it. Food was excellent and the interior was unique in Carlow.

Rinnucinis got a bad review from Paolo Tullio (sp?) recently. I still havent been but everyone I talk to, loves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

Was in La Napoletana on Friday night.
    Really wasn't up to much. Anyone else been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Been there a few times and wasn't too bad, then again the decor does leave it down a little but for a decently priced Italian meal it ain't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

what's the Italian place called now where Las Rada used to be? Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Also recommend Sha-Roe, compact eating area but excellent food (Michelin star). Shapla also good.

Beams is only open on special occasions now (Owner over 70 yrs old).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Loveless wrote: »
    what's the Italian place called now where Las Rada used to be? Is it any good?

it's called picola, I was there about 3 weeks ago and to be honest the food was not great in it, the service was good have to say , but compared to grill and grape where I'd eaten the week before it was no where near that standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

The weeping thaiger is by far my fave restaurant, quality food n reasonablly priced. does ne1 else know any decent restaurants in or around carlow town

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

use to be my favourite as well...... wait now can i say why its not with out offending anyone?

the grill and grape is my personal favourite in town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Grill and Grape is lovely

The one near the new town council offices used to be called key largo have an excellent early bird menu with 2 courses for 10,95 very hard to beat that value.

Brooks has very very tasty food but the menu has not changed in the last 5 years but they know what they are good at.

Jasmine on the Tullow Road is a very tasty chinesse and great takeaway too.

Le Trex opposite the AIB is also a great place prob a bit pricier then the above but nice all the same.

The Irish Man is ok for a lunch.

Theres a place down where super valu used to be. A pretty big pub and the food in there is very good also.

The GAA bar in not great at all. found the food to be exceptionally slow to arrive and only alright.

Theres a good place in bagnalstown where connollys supermaket used to be(again i cant remember :mad: stupid brain) with good selction of menus and food.

racso1975 wrote: »
    Grill and Grape is lovely
    Lovely?
    The service is incredibly bad.

It's worse than Fawlty Towers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Again i think you'll find different people different experiences kinda like the lemongrass but i have been very lucky and never had a prob.......... plus ya gotta love the hand dryers

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

you cant beat Brooks for good food, its very surprising, dont knock till you have tried it guys.....

Heard that restaurant in the lord bagenal is really nice, but had a chance to try it yet do.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

Lotpd why dont u like wp thai anymore? Dont b shy!
    Where is brooks? And what sort of food does the 1 in clonegal do?
    Used to love the canton rm but as far as i know its closed? Go to the jasmine now but dnt like it as much.

• Advertisement

Lotpd why dont u like wp thai anymore? Dont b shy!
    Where is brooks? And what sort of food does the 1 in clonegal do?
    Used to love the canton rm but as far as i know its closed? Go to the jasmine now but dnt like it as much.

Brooks is the one in Dinn ri

think this is the Clonegal restaurant looks good..
    http://www.ireland-guide.com/establishment/sha_roe_bistro.5080.html

Advertisement