Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Router Problem - HELP!

Options
  • 04-12-2007 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi

I have Eircom 2mb broadband (always on).

I use my laptop to connect to the web and the connection is through
    this Netopia router : http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/WEBCGI.EXE/,/

The problem is
    over the last week the connection keeps dropping and the internet light beside the DSL light goes red and I lose connection, I then have to either switch off the router or open the 'connect page' for the system saved on my desktop
    and reconnect for a minute or two to get back on, then it might run for ten or fifteen mins and drop again.
    It's infuriating.
    I have not had this problem before and I have this connection since March.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

I tried the phoneline, it seems fone, if there was a problem Im sure I would not be able to connect at all, havent changed anything in the settings.

I contacted Eircom help and the guy told me to plug the DSL cable directly into the phone socket which I did and the problem didnt go away.

:confused: Anyone else experience this?

Would appreciate any help.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

oddone wrote: »
    Hi

I have Eircom 2mb broadband (always on).

I use my laptop to connect to the web and the connection is through
    this Netopia router : http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/WEBCGI.EXE/,/

The problem is
    over the last week the connection keeps dropping and the internet light beside the DSL light goes red and I lose connection, I then have to either switch off the router or open the 'connect page' for the system saved on my desktop
    and reconnect for a minute or two to get back on, then it might run for ten or fifteen mins and drop again.
    It's infuriating.
    I have not had this problem before and I have this connection since March.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

I tried the phoneline, it seems fone, if there was a problem Im sure I would not be able to connect at all, havent changed anything in the settings.

I contacted Eircom help and the guy told me to plug the DSL cable directly into the phone socket which I did and the problem didnt go away.

:confused: Anyone else experience this?

Would appreciate any help.

cheers

I'm having the EXACT same problem as you. I'm on same package, have same router and in the last week or so the connection just stops every so often with the "internet" light showing red while all the others are fine. My line attenuation has actually improved in the last week (from 50 to 47) so I don't think there's a fault on my line. This model of router has never been particularly reliable (had a 3347nwg before this and it was fine) with frequent restarts necessary. The red light shos up at random times(when using the net or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

rc28 wrote: »
    I'm having the EXACT same problem as you. I'm on same package, have same router and in the last week or so the connection just stops every so often with the "internet" light showing red while all the others are fine. My line attenuation has actually improved in the last week (from 50 to 47) so I don't think there's a fault on my line. This model of router has never been particularly reliable (had a 3347nwg before this and it was fine) with frequent restarts necessary. The red light shos up at random times(when using the net or not).

Hi mate,

glad to hear I'm not alone!!

So any ideas why this is?

I rang eircom bb support, got thru to an asian guy who I found it hard to understand and Im sure vice versa, I told him of the problem, he simply said he would log it and to plug my DSL line directly into the phone socket for an hour and keep track of when the conection dies and then he said to call back if Im still having problems so they can then 'show the log to a supervising engineer'
    what happens after that god knows, I need the connection this week badly and this is really frustrating, especially when it's been pretty reliable up to thsi point.

oddone wrote: »
    Hi mate,

glad to hear I'm not alone!!

So any ideas why this is?

I rang eircom bb support, got thru to an asian guy who I found it hard to understand and Im sure vice versa, I told him of the problem, he simply said he would log it and to plug my DSL line directly into the phone socket for an hour and keep track of when the conection dies and then he said to call back if Im still having problems so they can then 'show the log to a supervising engineer'
    what happens after that god knows, I need the connection this week badly and this is really frustrating, especially when it's been pretty reliable up to thsi point.
    I have no idea why it's acting that way but your case seems to be worse than mine. Mine cuts out every hour or so but does vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

i have this problem too and have made several posts on other threads about it too. The only things you can do is follow the tips in one of the stickies.
    I asked tech support about this but they keep just giving me the runaround and when i call them back i have to explain everything again.
    It's more than likely just a problem with the exchange which they won't fix for ages if you're not a business customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've the same problem here, I'm on the 1mb always on, the goddam red light comes on about once a hour and the connection is down for about a minute:mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 costly

Has anyone managed to find a resolution with eircom to the problem of the broadband connection continuously, but inconsitently, dropping (red light on Internet connection).
    I have had the problem for about 14 months now, had dozens of calls with the support teams, had several call outs, been on 1MB, 2MB and 3MB, all with similar poor results (it can be fine for hours but then drop 15 times in the next hour, sometimes for several minutes but usually for circa 20-30 seconds at a time).
    Eircom have finally given up and told me it is contention which I find hard to beleive - surely it should simply slow down and not drop altogether for contention ?
    I'm at a loss as there are not a lot of other options in the area (can't get wireless) and switching to another competitor will only see me using the crappy eircom service under the hoods anyway.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or know what I need to do to get eircom to actually resolve this ongoing, and obvioulsy widespread, issue ?
    Is there any chance that it is in fact a router issue even though this is my 2nd router (Netopia) from eircom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Funkymonk83

Hi

Just wondering if any of you managed to find a solution for this problem. Im having the exact same problem now in that sometimes it might be fine for a few hours then may drop every 10 mins. got the same answer from Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lolalane

I have this problem at the moment and its driving me nuts!!!! I have a wireless connection since Sept and never had a problem untill now. Tech support have done lots of things but to no avail. It give me a little hope if its not just me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Lolalane wrote: »
    I have this problem at the moment and its driving me nuts!!!! I have a wireless connection since Sept and never had a problem untill now. Tech support have done lots of things but to no avail. It give me a little hope if its not just me.

What are your line stats thats the best place to start looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lolalane

where would I find my line stats? If its speed 48.0 signal strenght excellent. The thing is I dont seem to loose signal at all I just get booted and internet explorer cannot display web page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

the exact same thing happens to me, iv rang customer support and told them that i didnt want to go through the reseting and do i have eircom phonewatch sh1t!!i just told them i want a call out from an engineer to check the lines in my house!!iv rang 4 days ago and hopfully the tech will arrive next week sometime!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

Use the main phone socket in your house , make sure you fitted the spliters & filters eircom provided ...... if still ongoing 1890 260 260 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 costly

sz_danii wrote: »
    Use the main phone socket in your house , make sure you fitted the spliters & filters eircom provided ...... if still ongoing 1890 260 260 .

Is that last post for real or simply an automated eircom response ? :mad:
    It certainly sounds like the latter !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

I have the 2mb always on package with eircom for over a year now. Its only in the last 2 weeks that I have been getting the same problem ( red light on the netopia router over the internet ) I still have Signal strength : Excellent and Status : connected, but the broadband freezes and wont load. I find it hard to believe that Eircom have no straight forward answer for this. Plus I thought everyone was getting a free upgrade on the line speed, when is this to happen???:confused:

I have the 2mb always on package with eircom for over a year now. Its only in the last 2 weeks that I have been getting the same problem ( red light on the netopia router over the internet ) I still have Signal strength : Excellent and Status : connected, but the broadband freezes and wont load. I find it hard to believe that Eircom have no straight forward answer for this. Plus I thought everyone was getting a free upgrade on the line speed, when is this to happen???:confused:
    I fixed the problem by simply going back to my old 3347nwg router which i thought was broken but it wasn't. It gives better noise margin figures too and there has been no disconnects since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 willyGTi

so if i change my router this could fix the problem?

willyGTi wrote: »
    so if i change my router this could fix the problem?

Is there any chance you could borrow a friends router and see if the performance improves before you spend your money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 willyGTi

dub45 wrote: »
    Is there any chance you could borrow a friends router and see if the performance improves before you spend your money?

im gonna try that but does it have to be a netopia router? since thats the one eircom gives out?

willyGTi wrote: »
    im gonna try that but does it have to be a netopia router? since thats the one eircom gives out?

No its not about the brand at all and prob better if it wasnt a netopia or at least the same model of the netopia range.

It gonna be upgraded but not at the same time for everyone, give us a call at 189026060 we fix it ! Just try to follow the agents instructions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I have the 2mb always on package with eircom for over a year now. Its only in the last 2 weeks that I have been getting the same problem ( red light on the netopia router over the internet ):

My broadband worked fine for a few months then the red light started coming on every 10 minutes or so. I have 4 sockets in the house and the modem was plugged in to the main one. It worked ok when I disconnected all the other sockets after the main one. Eventually I narrowed it down to one socket. When I left it disconnected everything worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Just as an aside check if svhost.exe is blocked by your firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Just as an aside check if svhost.exe is blocked by your firewall.

Ive the same problem.

Its to do with the DSLAM and not a router or pc config etc... Ive a ticket with Broadband Support who got me to do the whole reset on my Linksys WAG300N done that... still had the problem... tried to convince me it was my router so i was "hold up a min ill put my Netopia back on..." which was replied to with a "eehh oohh right...."

Netopia back on and problem reoccurs.... Sending an engineer to the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

This happens because the line quality has gone bad, the operators know jack they are crappy call center people who cant get a proper job so have to read every word they say from a screen

The problem from the twisted pair cable from the exchange being untwisted at some point, this means static gets on the line, a jump in static will result in a reset untill it can connect again

Tell the operatior that you have plug in the router into another eircom line and it worked perfectly for 1 week so ITS NOT THE ROOTER. you need to get them to send out an enginer to do a sound signal quality test from the exchange to your house and they will see it need to be replaced. Here is where the problem is. eircom dont garentee data quality in there line but if you threaten them it is in your consumer right to get what you payed for and its a legitimate case for the small claims court you should get on to someone in upper tecnical support who will send out an enginer.

I have a buisness line and im having the same problem, also the speed has now dropped to a pittiful 4mb from 10. The most anoying thing for me is in my week home i have a 24mb lin and to come home to this piece of crap 10 mg line that dropped every second.

Screw eircom and thier gaylord monopoly on the lines. If magnet comes to your area get it, its €65 a month for a 24 mb line, free landline calls, 200 min of international calls and 200 min mobile and they send out an enginer to make sure everything is done ok. and that the signal is going from the exchange to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

An unsurprising lack of knowledge in the previous post rooter is ROUTER. Sure get Magnet and get a router which you can barely if even open a port on and do anything with.

MC

BTW Why dig up a 4 month old thread?

1st you don`t know anything abouth how DSL works, even if you get magnet they have to call eircom to do the exchange job for them if something goes wrong, only if they have their own exchange ( 3 at the moment ).
    2nd i worked as a call center agent , people are not crappy just customers like you are, of course they not gonna help you idiot ( sorry for this) if your an assh**e on the phone. Thats what agents do, you an ass, he`s an ass too(but the funny part is that at the end of the call your problem not gonna be fixed)

Regarding that probem with the router , if you have a linksys one (eircom doesn`t suport 3rd party equipment, read the contract you signed with them)

Thanks , and again sorry for the bad language(but some people just don`t get it )
    coadyj wrote: »
    This happens because the line quality has gone bad, the operators know jack they are crappy call center people who cant get a proper job so have to read every word they say from a screen

The problem from the twisted pair cable from the exchange being untwisted at some point, this means static gets on the line, a jump in static will result in a reset untill it can connect again

Tell the operatior that you have plug in the router into another eircom line and it worked perfectly for 1 week so ITS NOT THE ROOTER. you need to get them to send out an enginer to do a sound signal quality test from the exchange to your house and they will see it need to be replaced. Here is where the problem is. eircom dont garentee data quality in there line but if you threaten them it is in your consumer right to get what you payed for and its a legitimate case for the small claims court you should get on to someone in upper tecnical support who will send out an enginer.

I have a buisness line and im having the same problem, also the speed has now dropped to a pittiful 4mb from 10. The most anoying thing for me is in my week home i have a 24mb lin and to come home to this piece of crap 10 mg line that dropped every second.

Screw eircom and thier gaylord monopoly on the lines. If magnet comes to your area get it, its €65 a month for a 24 mb line, free landline calls, 200 min of international calls and 200 min mobile and they send out an enginer to make sure everything is done ok. and that the signal is going from the exchange to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

See this thread for a similar problem and a possible solution.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055412846

The SN margin is important to connection stability. Could simply be that your old phone cable cannot carry the new signal. Not that im saying its much different signal than before the upgrade. Hope this helps.

Edit: Oh rite, it was a dead thread. Nevermind so.

Down noise has to be very low ( between 9 - 16 dB) and the upload noise has to be ( 25 dB - 35 dB ) for a perfect line ... anyway i gonna get the correct stats..... in a couple of days
    See this thread for a similar problem and a possible solution.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055412846

The SN margin is important to connection stability. Could simply be that your old phone cable cannot carry the new signal. Not that im saying its much different signal than before the upgrade. Hope this helps.

Edit: Oh rite, it was a dead thread. Nevermind so.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Madman08

I see your based in Westmeath, Mullingar perchance ??
    I'm based in Greenpark myself and although I haven't experienced
    disconnections my speeds have been chronically slow....

It's only happened recently it seems and it looks like Eircom have been
    performing the long awaited upgrade on the exchanges....

My post here might ring some bells with you !!! :)

• Advertisement

The red internet light comes on becouse your attainable rates suck .... give me your landline ( on private ) !

Advertisement