Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Router Problem - HELP!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

--SmItHy-- wrote: »
    the exact same thing happens to me, iv rang customer support and told them that i didnt want to go through the reseting and do i have eircom phonewatch sh1t!!i just told them i want a call out from an engineer to check the lines in my house!!iv rang 4 days ago and hopfully the tech will arrive next week sometime!!

Twenty euro says that the engineer never shows and you will call back pissed and the tech will say "There was never a call out scheduled". Those ****ty tests are there to prevent the engineers wasting their time and you wasting a hundred euro.
    I have the 2mb always on package with eircom for over a year now. Its only in the last 2 weeks that I have been getting the same problem ( red light on the netopia router over the internet ) I still have Signal strength : Excellent and Status : connected, but the broadband freezes and wont load. I find it hard to believe that Eircom have no straight forward answer for this. Plus I thought everyone was getting a free upgrade on the line speed, when is this to happen???:confused:

The signal strength on your laptop is just your connection to the router, not the Internet. I will agree though that the 2247 is ****. You see that red light? It can be caused by you not authenticating properly (the password server will not accept your username and password) or you are getting a connection that keeps dropping. Were you upgraded recently? If so call up tech support and ask them about your attainables. I would tell you to go else where but well, they are the only people who can make the possible required changes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

Neah ... your wrong!!! red light is becouse noise on the line ( BTW see that all eircom router have the same user & pass, so thats not your problem) if the red light is just sometimes on - thats a shi* line, if its always on that means is authentification ( you didn`t pay your bill in most cases).... i know what i`m saying so please don`t jump back with stupid replies !

sz_danii wrote: »
    Neah ... your wrong!!! red light is becouse noise on the line ( BTW see that all eircom router have the same user & pass, so thats not your problem) if the red light is just sometimes on - thats a shi* line, if its always on that means is authentification ( you didn`t pay your bill in most cases).... i know what i`m saying so please don`t jump back with stupid replies !

By the gods, please don't tell me you work in eircom tech support....

neah .. not tech support anymore, something better now ... been there as well ! why ?

Not all eircom broadband customers have a standard username and password. I myself half a password that does not equate to eircom and broadband1 because I am one of the oldest customers for residential broadband.

The authentication problems are usually caused by eircoms authentication servers having software glitches and booting your ass off. Your account has to be refreshed on the server which is why you have to call back in a few hours after you run through the troubleshooting.

The red internet light that comes and goes is caused by a ****ty connection usually an unstable one. The line syncs at a certain speed and the lines max attainable gets lowered, the internet connection tries to get that max speed, they lose sync. Thats why a power cycle usually works because it forces it to re sync at a speed the line can now take.

neah .. not tech support anymore, something better now ... been there as well ! why ?

Because you are not the most pleasant individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 powera24

sz_danii .. you seem to be talking alot of sense on this subject! I'm having alot of trouble with my eircom connection at the moment!! especially at peak times... been trying to sign up to this website for about 45mins.. red light just keeps coming on!!! :( been looking at the stats page on my netopia/eircom homepage... sn marge seems to jump from 8.5 to -8.5 alot... below is a copy and paste off my stats within a min of each other... got the red light when i took the stats at -8.5. What do you reckon? very bad line?

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 8.50 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 34.50 21.00
    CRC Errors 0 3

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) -8.-50 17.00
    CRC Errors 194 126

Ok as i promised i got the list so :

1st one "attenuation" of the line, measures how much the signal has degraded between the exchange and the modem. The lower the dB better.
    <20 dB Excellent
    20-30dB very good
    30dB-40dB good
    40dB-50dB not so good
    50dB-60dB poor ( intermittent signal sometimes )
    > 60dB BAD ( connectivity problems ).

2nd one "noise margin" difference between ADSL signal and background noise. Higher is better.

<6 dB BAD
    7dB-10dB not so good ( might be intermittent signal)
    11 dB-20dB is good
    20 dB-28dB excellent
    > 29 dB outstanding

The second one is caused by missing, defective or incorrectly connected splitters/filters, faulty phone equipment, halogen lamps and stereo equipment.

Now please stop bitching that Eircom is not good ,your line is.

powera24 wrote: »
    sz_danii .. you seem to be talking alot of sense on this subject! I'm having alot of trouble with my eircom connection at the moment!! especially at peak times... been trying to sign up to this website for about 45mins.. red light just keeps coming on!!! :( been looking at the stats page on my netopia/eircom homepage... sn marge seems to jump from 8.5 to -8.5 alot... below is a copy and paste off my stats within a min of each other... got the red light when i took the stats at -8.5. What do you reckon? very bad line?

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 8.50 17.00
    CRC Errors 0 3

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) -8.-50 17.00
    CRC Errors 194 126

• Registered Users Posts: 6 powera24

Thanks sz_danii ... we've been trying to get eircom to look at our line for years now!! bad connection on the phone + broadband. Looks like i'll have to get back onto them!

No probs .. at least now everybody can see how their line looks like....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Could you try changing the line from the socket to your router if you have a spare phone cable? A new cable might stablise the SN margin.

Ive seen it work twice, therefore it will work again!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Does anyone know the command for resetting IP in cmd prompt? Ip config / then ip reset reset... can't remember. Anyone?

My connection is flapping between connected and disconnected every couple of seconds. the internet works fine on my phone/ps3 etc but with the laptop it doesn't. I think it could be a firewall issue. anyway last time I did this code it worked.

TheLoc wrote: »
    Does anyone know the command for resetting IP in cmd prompt? Ip config / then ip reset reset... can't remember. Anyone?

My connection is flapping between connected and disconnected every couple of seconds. the internet works fine on my phone/ps3 etc but with the laptop it doesn't. I think it could be a firewall issue. anyway last time I did this code it worked.

ipconfig/ renew

or

ipconfig/ release

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

My line attenuation is 63/31 and occasionally have bad connectivity problems. I see that the line attenuation is very high. Is there anything i can do about it?

Does anyone know, do eircom intentionally mess up your computer?
    My wireless has never worked. even when I ring them, they get it working until the next time I turn my laptop on. now suddenly my network adapters have all failed. I thought this was something to do with my laptop so I did all the necessary driver updates but still probs. ran diags and got "inboundmailserver = fail" & outboundmailserver = fail". It appears the address is not pinging. I don't know what to do but now i have no internet and eircom are only clowns who read problems off a screen or sheet in front of them. they couldn't solve a grey hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tonyon

Have been through all of the above problems at various times including eircoms call centre, several times, in India?. Absolutely totally frustrating and just could not get it sorted. Finally requested a new router from Eircom and no problems since. That's about 2 months ago and fingers crossed! They are awful to deal with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Does anyone know, do eircom intentionally mess up your computer?
    My wireless has never worked. even when I ring them, they get it working until the next time I turn my laptop on. now suddenly my network adapters have all failed. I thought this was something to do with my laptop so I did all the necessary driver updates but still probs. ran diags and got "inboundmailserver = fail" & outboundmailserver = fail". It appears the address is not pinging. I don't know what to do but now i have no internet and eircom are only clowns who read problems off a screen or sheet in front of them. they couldn't solve a grey hair.

Your wireless is not Eircom's responsibility (unless they have supplied a faulty router of course). Their responsiblity is to provide you with an internet signal.

You say that you have no internet but have you connected your laptop to the router by ethernet cable to see if the laptop will work that way or have you checked to see if the router is syncing with Eircom?

dub45 wrote: »
    Your wireless is not Eircom's responsibility (unless they have supplied a faulty router of course). Their responsiblity is to provide you with an internet signal.

You say that you have no internet but have you connected your laptop to the router by ethernet cable to see if the laptop will work that way or have you checked to see if the router is syncing with Eircom?

They are useless. anyway the router is grand since my PS3/WII and my phone can all connect to it grand. but my network adapters got mysteriously uninstalled and when I run diags I get this inboundmail & outboundmail ping failed due to wrong name or something. very annoying stuff. now there is nothing in my network connections except for a dial up connection. (which I have never used). all the broadband stuff is suddenly gone. Also its saying that all my network adapters have failed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

They are useless. anyway the router is grand since my PS3/WII and my phone can all connect to it grand. but my network adapters got mysteriously uninstalled and when I run diags I get this inboundmail & outboundmail ping failed due to wrong name or something. very annoying stuff. now there is nothing in my network connections except for a dial up connection. (which I have never used). all the broadband stuff is suddenly gone. Also its saying that all my network adapters have failed.

If your internet connection is fine then your problems have absolutely nothing to do with Eircom. The problems are obviously related to your laptop so time for a visit to the laptop forum or the repair shop.

Advertisement