Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Week Another Survey Ireland Still Sh1te

Options
  • 04-12-2007 9:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

I suppose its no surprise on a Board where the busiest thread of all time is about the 3rd world crapheap that is described as 3 'broadband' with the connivance of all the regulators who know perfectly well its not broadband.

Anyway. Last week the CSO published their ICT Ireland scorecard which seemed to show things were improving in Ireland. The survey was carried out earlier this year . Summary Here

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/industry/current/iss.pdf

The chief of eBay Ireland lambasted the government for its incompetence about the same time. The key points of the survey are

1. 65% of Irish Homes have a computer now. (It was 56% in the Census a year before) . These ICT Ireland surveys are pretty spot on based on my observation over the years.

2. 57% of Irish homes access the Internet ( almost 87% of homes with a computer)

3. HOWEVER only 31% of homes have BB although this was up from 13% a year before .

Then the EU went and pissed on our smug and irrelevant little parade today. They published the EU wide figures which contain the CSO data . The EU survey is here

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_OFFPUB/KS-QA-07-023/EN/KS-QA-07-023-EN.PDF

While Ireland is

1. Above the EU average for computer ownership ( it has been for a number of years but thats not in this survey)

A figure of 56% was the census 2006 total while a separate EU report ( page 68 of 188) show that the EU average was 54% in late 2006 but errs on Ireland , so we beat that EU average.

2. Above the EU average for Internet use by homes IE 57% EU 54% according to todays survery

HOWEVER

3. Ireland is WAY below the EU average for Broadband in the home, a lethal combination of outrageous costs and lack of availability IE31% EU42%

To make things worse we are behind

Estonia, Latvia , Lithuania , Hungary and Slovenia

BARELY AHEAD OF

Poland , Slovakia and the Czech Republic

As for the countries we pretend to emulate, you know the sophisticates of the Developed World with its knowledge economy and stuff. Don't make me fuggin well laugh :(

I will shorten this list by ONLY including countries which have TWICE as many BB enabled homes as Ireland ( Ie 62% or more. They are

Holland, Sweden , Iceland , Norway , Denmark .

Others have nearly twice as many as we do.

Greece ( thank feck) make us look good like the Greeks always do, fair dues lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What does the 31% count?
    Is 3G, Ripwave, Clearwire, Satellite included?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

watty wrote: »
    Is 3G, Ripwave, Clearwire, Satellite included?

Probably all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So what % broadband do we really have then?

Are we still looking at 46% of users on dialup, for which there is STILL no flat rate access making a service that costs 1/100th (of broadband) for eircom about 2 to 3 times more expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

What a surprise :rolleyes:

Well i have nothing to complain about since i finally got smart ( really impressive since i was on a carrier line 3 months ago ... )

I hope that the situation will get better for everybody who is wishing to get broadband. Maybe in 5 year time things will have improved ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not in 2008 they won't, Eamonn Ryan believes that €18m will provide EVERYBODY in the country with Broadband ...and rumour is he has already earmarked some of that for wood pellets.

This is what Eamonn has to say to the indo

""I think a simple idea of a green island makes sense. It will attract jobs. I have a sense of government that there is a clear sense of opportunity in this, not just that the green energy is something that they have to tolerate.""

With thinking like that its no wonder. More Ryan rubbish here .

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/improved-investment-in-renewable-energy-1239080.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement