Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old streets, where to find where they were?

Options
  • 04-12-2007 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from the 1911 census online, i came across a street which doesn't exists anymore and another nearby from 1934 which has vanished

They were probably either renamed or demolished!

Is there a way online to find out where these streets roughly were and what there present day names are?

All i know is that they were in Ringsend/Irishtown area!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is something somewhere in my bookmarks that gives every old street name, ill look for it. take a look at this though. interesting enough

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What street is it?
    I have a number of old directories and maps and can have a look for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its given as Thomas St in 1911(i'm sure its not the other famous one as the below don't tally with geographic location!)

DED - Pembroke East
    Parish - Donnybrook
    Urban District - Pembroke East
    Town or Village - Pembroke East
    Sub-District - Irishtown
    Parliamentary Division - Harbour Division

The other is Cambridge Place near same area in 1934. Now there is a Cambridge Rd, Ave, Ct, St in same area today.

Thx in advance!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thomas Street in Ringsend in 1873 had a Wesleyan Methodist Church at the end of it - is that church still there?

Cambridge place in 1873 has a malt manufacturer and two dwelling places - I haven't found so far where exactly it was.

I doubt it, don't think there is a methodist church anywhere near there, nearest is probably Sandymount.
    Where on the map does it say Thomas st is?..nearest to which street today maybe?

Sounds like Cambridge place was demolished as it only had 2 dwellings!

• Advertisement

The earlier directories didn't have Ringsend as part of the main section, so it doesn't have a 'runs from X to Y' annotation.

The area covered may well stretch outside what is now called Ringsend.

Thanks for looking spurious, i'll continue my quest to find those streets somehow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

paul clerkin over at archeire.com wrote a book about dublin street names he probably came across old streets in his research ask him

I think Thomas street was immersed into Irishtown road when following the text from Ulysses above all places
    http://books.google.com/books?id=X1fWCCHReoUC&pg=PA105&lpg=PA105&dq=thomas+street+irishtown&source=web&ots=qs8Cb-r0jl&sig=dwZrkRowTAskSfc7Mq65y3WygQM

Advertisement