Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting music in 5th year

Options
  • 04-12-2007 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Hi transition year student here. Just learned that someone I know is going to start teaching Music at Junior Cert/Leaving Cert level. Having done piano with her for a number of years, I know she would be a great teacher. However, I did not do music for Junior Cert. Would that hinder me much if I was to take the Leaving Cert exam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ah no, you'd pick up the theory needed in a class or two, and learning the set works will be fine, it's mainly just learning off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I didn't do music for the JC and I find it grand. Only thing that's in any way tricky is Irish Music because everyone in the class already has experience with it, so the teacher doesn't spend all that long on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I too just started it in 5th year. Helps if you can grow to understand it through an instrument. Thats how Im doing it at the moment. Its tough but doable!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Also Irish Music is the work of Satan.

Satan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Voltwad wrote: »
    I too just started it in 5th year. Helps if you can grow to understand it through an instrument. Thats how Im doing it at the moment. Its tough but doable!

I started guitar about 2 months ago, so that might help if your advice is correct!

Cheers for replies, will definatly check it out as an option anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Well i started music in school this year but i have always played an instrument since i was about 8. Its grand, a bit hard to learn all the notes and keys but it all comes evntually. The hardest thing is defo the composition, not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

did the LC a few years ago and i only picked it up in 5th year, hadnt done it for JC.
    one of the lads was in the same boat as me - we both got A's, and i wouldnt consider myself particularly naturally gifted at music!

its a relatively easy subject as the coursework is short - we did everything in 5th year, got a new teacher in 6th year and learnt everything from scratch again!

you'll be grand just learn the theory and selected pieces well. what composer are you studying? or what band? we had mozart, berlioz and 3 beatles songs, which were pretty interesting. contempary irish music was like listening to someone hitting a bag of cats on heat with a hammer tho - painful stuff altogether!

Advertisement