Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NSR 125 as 1st bike.. any advice apreciated!

• 04-12-2007 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm a complete newbie who's given up on driving 7 miles to work each day in a car and taking an hour to do it!
    I have an offer of an 04 Honda Nsr75 for 1200 euro, cheap insurance etc. (Apologies I know the title says nsr125...can't edit that
    Anyone have any experience on these? is their much difference from a 125cc?
    It's only for city use, I have a decent motor for the long distance stuff.
    (I'm only gettin my provisional/learner licence)

And while I'm pickin your brains, what basic budget would I need for protective gear, helmet etc.

Cheers for any advice, much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I'd go for a four stroke 125 over an NSR 75 as a first bike. They're nice but insurance is high for the power you actually have. Also stinkwheels need lots of TLC to ensure they keep going well. As an everyday bike I wouldn't recommend them. They're great for weekend blasts especially the bigger ones but just not for commuting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I had a nsr75 a few years ago. Great bikes for what they are. I don't think the previous poster knows a huge amount about this actual bike (no offence intended). They are not as highly tuned as the rs125 or nsr125. They do not require any extra maintence than any other bike. Aa long as you keep the bike top up with good quality oil, and then do the usual maintenance (adjusting/lubricating chain etc) then you won't have a problem with them. They are a great little bike, fantastic for commuting in rush hour traffic as they are very skinny and light.
    A 4 stroke 125 bike is also in the same insurance bracket with AON as the nsr75 so there won't be much/any difference in insurance. The nsr will also other perform a 4 stroke 125.....not by much, but it will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭meathmannn

Cheers guys,
    what do you think on price. Looks good to me, low milage.
    How much should I be payin for reasonable protective gear?

Thanks again1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i bought a shadow 125 for the same money, bullit proof bike
    your gonna get ridin on insurance for a nsr, try a virago, dragster or shadow or maybe a tw
    quinn diect ftw also, best qoutes
    how old are you? and where do you live? all these will go towards your qoute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

I got a Yahama YBR 125 recently for 1900 second hand 07. You can get it brand spanking new for ~2700. It runs on fresh air (you think Im joking, Im not!), insurance is low and IMO its a great bike. Well worth considering!

• Advertisement

skelliser wrote: »
    your gonna get ridin on insurance for a nsr, try a virago, dragster or shadow or maybe a tw

Why don't people read a thread properly before replying? I already said above that the nsr75 (once it's an 02 reg or newer) is in the same group as all the 125 4stroke bikes with aon

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

basically not a v nice bike, it's a bit like a teenager, all loud and useless with loads of puff and a bit flighty, I'd hate to get on one:rolleyes:

mox54 wrote: »
    basically not a v nice bike, it's a bit like a teenager, all loud and useless with loads of puff and a bit flighty, I'd hate to get on one:rolleyes:

And what are the op's other choices? A moped? Or else a 4stroke 125 which is going to be heavier and slower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BALDYNIBBLE

mox54 wrote: »

I'd love to get on a teenager!!:D:D

I had an nsr 80 as my first bike and really abused it(college meant funds were low so no servicing or maintenance) but still enjoyed it and put up with the abuse i gave it very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭meathmannn

Insurance isn’t an issue, 6 euro difference in quote between this and a 125!
    Took one for a ride today, fast enough to scare the bejaysus out of me. Gears just don’t seem as chunky as bigger bikes, but I’m sure a bit of practice would help, haven’t been on a bike in years.

• Advertisement

meathmannn wrote: »
    Insurance isn’t an issue, 6 euro difference in quote between this and a 125!
    Took one for a ride today, fast enough to scare the bejaysus out of me. Gears just don’t seem as chunky as bigger bikes, but I’m sure a bit of practice would help, haven’t been on a bike in years.

Buy it....you won't regret it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I;ve a Nsr50.. Tryin to sell atm to get a car, and i don't care what any1 says, they're a great little bike... I've done nearly 260kms, and counting, on ten euro petrol, and i've been to work and back of a saturday on less than fumes as DonkeyRhubarb already mentioned...

I've gotten 104kmph out of it (at a bit of a struggle but it'll to 95-98ish no bother) and for city use these are great yokes... Never had to sit in traffic... They are a nippy enough yoke, for what they are, and i'd definitly reccomend one...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

4 stroke 125's aren't necessarily heavier but are better bikes and better bikes to commute on and learn about bikes in general, insurance isn't a big problem and you can progress to bigger sporty bikes when youre test is done and handle them better from a 125 than a flighty screamin nsr!!, imo

Advertisement