Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricians are u sick of it

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

A couple of years back I switched over to working in power generation, large generators and such.
    I really like it.

did this kinda work for the esb for a couple for years with power generation building the panel and fitting them ,never did any thing with large generators could never find places that do course.any ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

A couple of years back I switched over to working in power generation, large generators and such.
    I really like it.

did this kinda work for the esb for a couple for years with power generation building the panel and fitting them ,never did any thing with large generators could never find places that do course.any ideas

Hey Ed-

I've only got regular Electrical qualifications.
    My employer took me on and provided me with the necessary training.
    I work on engines from a few different manafacturers so we regularly
    have training from people from say, CAT, Cummins, etc...

AFAIK alot of employers will take on qualified electricians with little or no
    experience of generators and train them up.

Off the top of my head you could try CAT, Woodlands, VT, KBR, Agrekko, to name but a few.

Just to clarify, when I said large generators, I meant stuff that produces
    around 200/300KVA 3phase.
    From 20-40 Litre diesel engines.
    Sorry if you thought I was talking about bigger stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Just curious, what are 4 x 240's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Just curious, what are 4 x 240's.
    It is a 4 core cable with each core having a cross sectional area of 240mm^2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 espanialimerick

hi 2 all previous posters, just came across this discussion,
    i am currently working(and have been for 10years) as fire & security commissioning/service ''engineer'',
    as said earlier, were not engineers...if not who is, do qualification make you one, or experience....a
    Originally Posted by fishdog viewpost.gif
    They are not "engineers". No official qualification is required to work on fire alarm systems or security systems. You just need to be in the PSA (Private Security Authority) for the latter and the NSAI for the former.
    nyway...
    which can be said for electricians,as posted earlier, you do NOT have to be a qualified electrician to practise electrical work in rep of ireland... i know alot of so called electricians who havent a 'paper' or cert to there name,
    my long drawn out point is that anyone can be a fire alarm / security alarm engineer, but knowledge helps, being able to work on your own, work under pressure,alot that most electricians will have already. but most of all interest in the task at hand. the fault finding part of job, is way more intence than the 'commissioning'(set-up)addressing,texting,cause & effect...etc,
    hopefully this has made some input to thread,probally not...

• Advertisement
Advertisement