Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claremorris to Galway city centre

Options
  • 04-12-2007 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I live in Claremorris and I have recently been offered a job in Galway City Centre.

The big question is how long does it take to drive from Claremorris into Galway in the morning and what time do people generally have to leave at to get in for 9? :confused:

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Torres9

Takes about 50 mins normally... If you want to be in work at 9 you probably would have to leave at half seven or earlier, traffic in Claregalway is a nightmare at rush hour.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, Claregalway would be the killer there. You'll do the journey in about 40-50 mins without traffic (I was in a car that went from Castlebar to Galway in 45 mins once without pulling the piss of the speed limits).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭trellheim

WRC ...

oops sorry [ back into time machine ] :):):):)

Kharn wrote: »
    Yea, Claregalway would be the killer there. You'll do the journey in about 40-50 mins without traffic (I was in a car that went from Castlebar to Galway in 45 mins once without pulling the piss of the speed limits).

According to Google maps the distance between those two is 48 miles...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That'd be about right. The biggest problem after Claregalway is the city itself. It has never been kind to the motorist in the mornings. I was going from Salthill to Parkmore East in the mornings and even at 7am it was taking a long time. The roundabouts can be crippling.

I'd say move if you can, why stay in Claremorris if you can help it? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Clueless 2

Can't move to Galway I am afraid. I am now bound to Claremorris.

Besides, how would I get past the guard towers and the mine fields??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Clueless 2 wrote: »
    Can't move to Galway I am afraid. I am now bound to Claremorris.

Besides, how would I get past the guard towers and the mine fields??:rolleyes:

the traffic a nightmare, honestly you world craic up. you could just hop on the new Western Rail Corridor train from Claremorris to Galway. Ahh thats right its not open yet. Naional Development Plan my arse.

Yes. And when it does open up in 7 years time ......
    1. It will take about 2 hours to get from Claremorris to Galway
    2. The N17 will have been upgraded so much that you will drive there in 1 hour

It won't take 2 hours, where did you get that from?

No it will probably not be 2 hours , but it will certainely be about 1 hour 20 or 1 hour 30 by the time you get to Athenry , switch and get a train to the city centre.

My point is that by the time to drive to the station , park and get on the train it will almost certainely be faster to drive to Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Go through Headford...
    Crossboyne, Scaurdaune, Shrule, Headford, Cloonboo, Galway...you'd be mad to go the other way tbh. The traffic is heavy going in but moves at least! If you are working on the Ballybrit, Renmore, Liosban side, you might be as well off to turn left just outside the city on the Headford road. It brings you to Babyworld and at that hour of the morning, the traffic is slow and its pretty easy to get across the road. Check a google map if youre not sure of the road.
    Good luck with the new job!

Many thanks Jeapy. I will give that a go

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Thoughts of driving to Galway every morning... no thanks

Go through Headford...
    Crossboyne, Scaurdaune, Shrule, Headford, Cloonboo, Galway

I do this regular, even in the campervan & its quicker than through Claregalway & Tuam!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Agree with above posts, allow yourself an hour anyway because of the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭leex

Another option if coming via Headford and going to Parkmore is to take the left turn from Headford Rd (before castle), take an immediate left turn again brings you up behind shop. This narrow road brings you out between Corrinthians Rugby club and the road up the hill to Parkmore.

Advertisement