Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midlands gunsmith

Options
  • 04-12-2007 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

I was talking to this new gunsmith about the possibility of getting a custom rifle built for F-class competition in england, but he reckons he can build to higher standards for the same price plus a lot less bother and paperwork. I was thinking of basing it on a rem 700 action or a variant...... any thoughts? rather than going for a stolie (what he recommends)
    caliber wise i am opting for 6.5x55 he says .284
    where's claregunner when you want him? (still banned??)
    He was telling me that his impending opening in january has caused quite a lot of heat and bitchin from the dealers they're not impressed with more competition.
    The more I see and hear about the firearms dealers here in Ireland the more they remind me of the ferengies out of Startrek next generation Profit is god.
    Hopefully this guy will be a little more open minded like duffys in galway
    I 'ill keep ye updated if anyone is interested

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

I was looking into a custom job a while back as well, just one problem I hit, you have to reload for a custom job, if you are ok with that then no probs. I just dont have the time at the moment.
    In the end I went for an accurised off the shelf using lapua target ammo in 6.5 x 55. One of the reasons I went for this calibre is the availability of Lapua for it.
    HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

That 's a fair point but if you want consistant long range accuracy you would want to be reloading anyway. i know a few lads at midland who shoot .284 they reload legally. gone to Their supers and explained the legitimit reason for the need to do it (not economic) just not commerically available yet.
    Im thinking of staying with the 6.5x55 myself i know the round and have all the gear for it. On paper the 6.5x284 looks better but i dont think it matter to me as a 6.5x55 scenar is more accurate than i ‘ll ever be.
    What did u buy off the shelf?

I went a slightly stranger route, I actually bought a swedish mauser. I'll qualify that, it was hand selected with a tight chamber and barrell. I know its not 100% suitable for F class, but I dont have time for practice and comps now anyway, so I am hobby shooting. If I ever was looking at serious F class, I think a custom job is the way to go, or an accurised Remy 700 or the like. With a custom job, you can specify chamber size, twist rate, etc. The way I looked at it was I started with ranges I would be shooting at and work backwards. I would probably still stay wit the 6.5, unless I was looking at serious long range, over 800 yds.
    PM me if you want to have a chat, as I had a good bit of research done even though I didnt purchase after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

dbar wrote: »
    I went a slightly stranger route, I actually bought a swedish mauser. I'll qualify that, it was hand selected with a tight chamber and barrell. I know its not 100% suitable for F class, but I dont have time for practice and comps now anyway, so I am hobby shooting. If I ever was looking at serious F class, I think a custom job is the way to go, or an accurised Remy 700 or the like. With a custom job, you can specify chamber size, twist rate, etc. The way I looked at it was I started with ranges I would be shooting at and work backwards. I would probably still stay wit the 6.5, unless I was looking at serious long range, over 800 yds.
    PM me if you want to have a chat, as I had a good bit of research done even though I didnt purchase after.

Bought the GC63 ? (target version) Swedish Mauser myself. Still waiting on licence. Brother bought an M96 Infantry version. He has his and it is very accurate = 1"-2" at 100yds open sights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

I bought a swede in 1995 for deer stalking. i had a liitle accident with my rem 700 and the wheels of a jeep so i needed a cheap replacement. £200 for a grade 2 cg 96 it shot okay inch and a half at a 100 yrds with remington ammo, i got this gunsmith i mentioned earlier to recrown it, The muzzle looked egg shaped from over use of a cleaning rod.
    With a new crown and lapua ammo it was giving me a half inch at a 100.
    so i cant imagine what yours is capable of. lovely solid rifle and theres no recoil due the weight. but the trigger is a pig. there’s a huge amout of replacement stuff available now triggers, stocks,bolt shrouds even kits to convert it from cocking on opening to cocking on closing. i used it for 3 years a and finally got rid because it was so heavy to carry all day stalking, i traded it for a sauer 202 with heavy barrel and got £250 of a trade in (different dealer).
    id still be very tempted to buy one and rebuild it. A classic!

• Advertisement

dfaf wrote: »
    I bought a swede in 1995 for deer stalking. i had a liitle accident with my rem 700 and the wheels of a jeep so i needed a cheap replacement. £200 for a grade 2 cg 96 it shot okay inch and a half at a 100 yrds with remington ammo, i got this gunsmith i mentioned earlier to recrown it, The muzzle looked egg shaped from over use of a cleaning rod.
    With a new crown and lapua ammo it was giving me a half inch at a 100.
    so i cant imagine what yours is capable of. lovely solid rifle and theres no recoil due the weight. but the trigger is a pig. there’s a huge amout of replacement stuff available now triggers, stocks,bolt shrouds even kits to convert it from cocking on opening to cocking on closing. i used it for 3 years a and finally got rid because it was so heavy to carry all day stalking, i traded it for a sauer 202 with heavy barrel and got £250 of a trade in (different dealer).
    id still be very tempted to buy one and rebuild it. A classic!

Sorry for the slow reply. Yeah, I bought a CG63 first but it turned out that the barrell was fairly well used, coming in about 1.5 inches at 100 yds open sights. I then got my current Mauser with a view to F class, but I couldnt bring myself to change it around, so put sights on it. Still in testing mode with ammo etc, but will put three rounds touching at 100, best so far. The next project will be something along your lines I recon. Heavy barrel, double set trigger, target stock, etc, but unless I am going long range, it will be the 6.5 without question.

Advertisement