Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie 5k race prep

• 04-12-2007 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Hey all I posted here before around training stuff. I know this is prob a stupid question but gonna try the 5k race in citywest this saturday. it's an ibhaa event:o and i surely dont want to come last.

Advice i am looking for is:

Training advice for this week: I ran 5k on monday and 2 miles today. Was gonna run another 5k tommorrow and 2miles on thurs and taking friday off

Race day: What should i eat and drink before the race it's at 11am?

I know it's only a 5k but i really want to be prepared for this race.

Best 5k to date has been 26.36 mins

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

eat something light. Maybe some toast with Jam and a bananaa around 9am, then an energy drink on the way to the race. Depends what you can stomach really. You don't have to worry about carbo loading too much.

5ks are fast so don't eat anything too heavy the night before either. I generally don't eat red meat the day before a race as it takes longer to digest. This may be aload of cods-whallop to be honest but works for me.

Good luck anyway hope you can run a new PB. Make sure you don't push it too hard tomorrow and Thursday. No use running a PB in training when there is nobody around !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Dear Rasco,
    A bit late for the bhaa citywest...but I would suggest eating a meal consisting of complex carbohydrates and proteins (Complex carbohydrates are a slower realease energy and the protein increases this slow release mechanism further). Complex carbs are brown rice, brown pasta, porridge etc. For a morning race I would have porridge with some seeds and nuts for the protein and maybe a banana. About 4 hours beforehand is ideal, which is difficult for a morning race, but I can get away with eating 2 hours beforehand - not everyone can, so experiment in training first. For an evening race, I would have a fialry big lunch at around 2.00. Usually pasta/rice with veggetables or a light meat/fish. Maybe more improtantly is the night before I find. I'll usually have brown rice with vegetarian chilli/stir fry and maybe some fish and sip away at the water. But everyone's different. For a lot of people bread or dairy can make the stomach a bit dodgy, so experiment in training. Good luck.

Advertisement