Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions please!!!

Options
  • 04-12-2007 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

hey.

im not an expert but i love my bikes.....
    so i was hoping you guys could help me...

im looking for a lightweight road bike around the 650 price mark for commuting.

had a dawes discovery 701, got robbed......

is this a good deal????

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/93/16306993.html

also i was looking at the giant bowrey, a single speed bike. Do you think single speed bikes would be a little slow???? seeing as they can't possibly have that high a gear ratio and have to compromise???

any other suggestions........?????

thanks i know this kind of thread is all to familiar.......!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Consider the Trek 1000 or the Giant OCR. Both good bikes and would probably get them for around 600 - 700e.

If you just want it for commuting and not long distance/duration cycling, then I would probably go for the Bowery. Better bike for equivalent money and more fun, if you like bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

cant see up close but from what i do see, i wouldnt be sure that that is carbon fibre:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

[personalopinion]

that's an interesting bike. it is carbon but it's pretty old and that why the tubing is so narrow. googled the frame: good ride, quite flexy though, and not too light. could be a really nice commuter but i wonder how old that groupset is, and i hate sora levers (they have those thumb button things instead of the two triggers). i can't tell from the photo but that frame might be old enough to have horizontal dropouts which, as a quick scan of other posts here will tell you, are in demand.

trek and giant both make good road bikes in your price range but that cabon appeals to me, if only cause i haven't seen it before, but i see plenty of new giants and treks etc. i think (only a guess, be careful etc.) it's a genuine add too, some on gumtree ain't :eek:.

[/]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Looks like a nice rothar to me. Find out how old it is first. I wonder why there is a mix of sora, ultegra and 105. Does it make any odds? I guess the owner liked to play around with components.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

thanks guys.

i think it looks interesting alright also.....

he has dropped the price to 600 for me also.

im going to view it next week. he is weighing it tonight for me. ... any more opinions on the bowrey???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Raam wrote: »
    Looks like a nice rothar to me. Find out how old it is first. I wonder why there is a mix of sora, ultegra and 105. Does it make any odds? I guess the owner liked to play around with components.

yeah the groupset seems a bit of an odd mix alright, i would be careful buyin
    a carbon bike for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I got a Bowery from Wheelworx last Friday. It is slower than my proper road bike, but its only a little slower than my communter. Hills and wind are a little more "interesting" in a 48x16 and the fixed aspect of it is fun.

Nice bike, great for lashing the power down on - take off like a shot from lights, I'd recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

He explains the reason for the levers- it used to be a time trial bike and so wouldn't have had STI levers. Presumably when he converted the bars he stuck on whatever was cheapest/lying around. The wheels too are generally specced on triathlon/time trial bikes.

I was looking at this (ad, not the bike) myself and it does seem very good value but I was worried about buying such an old carbon frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

im also looking at a Lapierre Cruiser SX. its 700 and is apparently in good nick.

im looking at that on friday. its been from rathmines to lucan and back for 2 years though so it might be a bit worn......

Advertisement