Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TDI Passat - Timing Belt

Options
  • 04-12-2007 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Hows things lads ?

Bought my dream machine this time last year.

The Dealer assured me he had replaced the timing belt and Water pump at the time of sale however he told me a lot of other things too and never did them.

Is there any way to tell if the timing belt on a car has actually been changed ?

I am concerned over my high mileage / current funding crisis in the new year and the fact I dont want the car to cough choke and die on me due to my negligence with the timing belt !?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Usually, when a belt is changed the mechanic will sprawl it in Tipp-Ex somewhere under the bonnet. It may be listed in the service schedule. If not, try to locate the last service agent and ask for a copy of the invoice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I hope it has been done, because if it hasn't it's a pricey job on a Passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Try to get a look at the T-belt.
    If it's relatively new it will look fresh.
    If it's anyway worn or frayed replace immediately.

The Passat is one of the most awkward cars to change a T-Belt in because you have to remove the whole front section of the car to get at it, bumper, griller, radiator, etc.

If you are getting the T-Belt done you'd be wise to replace all the other belts as well, power steering belt, alternator belt, etc.
    As you would have to have the entire front off the car again if any of these needed replacin. They're relatively cheap and shouldn't add much to the cost of replacing the T-Belt.

If a VW / Audi garage repaced the belt then they will have a record of this which can be accessed by them plugging their computer into your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

No half decent mechanic will change a timing belt without writing the mileage at which it was changed in tip-ex somewhere underneath the bonnet usually the plastic cover over it.If this guy has proven himself to be dishonest already then don't take it that if its worte in tip-ex that the belt was actually changed!

As was said take a look at the belt if it was changed recently it will look fresh if its worn,frayed or cracked change it pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

when is the timing belt due in a tdi?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Personally I'd change it every 60k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Thank you for the responses.....

Brought her into my mechanic today to get the CV joint sorted on the drivers side and possibly sort out my temprature gauge which seems to like waving at me ( especially when wet )

Said it to him about the timing belt and the look of horror that hit his face was unreal.

Not very mechanicaly minded so he said he would take a look at the T belt and tell me the score on if it has been changed but said he wouldnt do it. Said he gave up doing them after he had one a week for four months come through his gates.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Go back to the dealer who sold it to you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Go back to the dealer who sold it to you then.

Warrantly expires in 9 days so if it hasnt been changed then I shall darken his door on Monday morning ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

MugMugs wrote: »
    Warrantly expires in 9 days so if it hasnt been changed then I shall darken his door on Monday morning ! :)
    How many miles were on the car when you bought it? If the t/belt wasn't due at that time then there is no obligation on the dealer to change the belt.

However, the CVJ and the temperature gauge problem should be covered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement