Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Celebrity Chef?

Options
  • 04-12-2007 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Who would you like to kidnap and chain up in your kitchen to cook for you every night??

Please feel free to add in the thread if your favourite is not included....

Favourite Celbrity Chef 101 votes

Nigella Lawson
    0% 0 votes
    Darina Allen
    10% 11 votes
    Rachel Allen
    1% 2 votes
    Anthony Worrell Thompson
    4% 5 votes
    Jamie Oliver
    0% 1 vote
    Ainsley Harriet
    8% 9 votes
    Gordon Ramsey
    0% 0 votes
    Jamie Oliver
    34% 35 votes
    Paul Rankin
    6% 7 votes
    Gary Rhodes
    0% 1 vote
    Corrigan
    0% 0 votes
    Rick Stein
    1% 2 votes
    Keith Floyd
    16% 17 votes
    John Burton Race
    10% 11 votes
    Other
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Gordan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Gordon , he sorts out the wheat from the cheef in so called ''restaraunts '' i am watching him now on C 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

This Thread does not endorse the kidnapping or chaining up of celebrity chefs!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Rick Stein for me.

I can watch any of his episodes several times and never tire of them. He may not be my favourite as regards cuisine, though I do love several of the dishes he's cooked.

I like Keith Floyd too, mainly because he told Tom Doorley that he "knew nothing about food". He was on the money there imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Wow, well done on the poll, OP. It's really comprehensive.

Just to be difficult, I'll pick Rachel Ray*, who's not on it...

*She may not actually be my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

latchyco wrote: »
    Gordon , he sorts out the wheat from the cheef in so called ''restaraunts '' i am watching him now on C 4

Watching it now on Channel 4+1. What a pair of nutters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Definitely Gordon, love him, but I like Nigella Lawson too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm a fan of Rachel Allen - her recipes work out great, the ingredients are easy to find and she explains how to do them very well on her tv series.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well for the food it'd have to be Gordon, but the prospect of having Nigella chained up in my kitchen is giving me lots of impure thoughts that have nothing to with cooking :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Gordon, says it how it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

While I'd quite like to chain up Rachel Allen for some fun & frolics - for a discussion about food & drink it would have to be Keith Floyd's company I'd be looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Bah! Can't believe that Gordon is winning...or should that be whinging? A guy who has a face like a testicle on a crisp December morning and whose only claim to fame is being able to swear more times in half an hour than that episode of South Park. Complete muppet. Rick Stein gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Corega wrote:
    A guy ... whose only claim to fame is being able to swear more times in half an hour than that episode of South Park. Complete muppet.
    I think that a lorry-load of Michelin stars & an ego to match contributes to his fame.
    Corega wrote:
    Complete muppet.
    No way. The guy (while not being my fave chef by any stretch of the imagination) is a culinary genius & a great showman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 edwardh55

I'm a big fan of Gordon Ramsey
    But...My favorite has to be Heston Blumenthal, ok he puts way too much effort into cooking for the average person ever to follow but the way he takes a scientific approach to tastes and smells is just amazing and he has to be one of the most innovative chefs out there
    Some people complain about him but i think watching him is similar to Top gear, looking at cars most people will never drive and imagining what they sound, smell and perform is similar to the way i think about food, its good tv in my eyes!

Anybody else like him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Rachel Allen because she's a super fox! But ah Gordon is great too for the shouting/cursing/madness :)

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

edwardh55 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Gordon Ramsey
    But...My favorite has to be Heston Blumenthal, ok he puts way too much effort into cooking for the average person ever to follow but the way he takes a scientific approach to tastes and smells is just amazing and he has to be one of the most innovative chefs out there
    Some people complain about him but i think watching him is similar to Top gear, looking at cars most people will never drive and imagining what they sound, smell and perform is similar to the way i think about food, its good tv in my eyes!

Anybody else like him?

I watched Hestons Christmas special last night and was very envious of the diners. I am not the biggest fan of the whole molecular gastronomy but Heston is compulsive viewing.

What I find strange is that many people are in awe of the process, the combination of tastes, smells etc. The Fast food industry have been doing that for decades. Okay, it is not a dry ice fountain in the middle of the table, but the fast food industry caught on to the use of perfumes in food years ago - brought about by the need for healthier cooking methods, french fries are perfumed to make them taste like they were cooked in beef dripping.

I am irritated by chefs who present recipes that have not been tried in a domestic setting. Heston was guilty of this with a mushroom ketchup recipe that I tried. Enough salt to choke a donkey. Nevertheless, I do admire his approach and watch to pick up tips, for example his method of clarifying stock that contain gelatine is pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Gordon for me as well, watching the US version of his kitchen nightmares at the mo....very funny stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

It has to be Heston. That Christmas spread was unbelievable. Mind you, between Reindeer milk from Siberia and Frankinsense from Oman, the meal had an enormous carbon footprint. Still, a work of genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

My God. What is wrong with this planet? Gordon Ramsay is one of the most disgusting, putrid individuals I have ever seen. He's arrogant and foul-mouthed. He's a bully and an intolerable a$$hole. Anyone who can't see this has very poor judgement in people. He may be a great chef but I think this reality TV phenomenon has made people expect those on top of their game should be deplorable individuals. You can be good at what you do without being a complete pr1ck you know?

Lloyd Grossman FTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Voted for Richard Corrigan. I like his style of simple hearty food. Ramsey is a top class chef though I'd imagine a difficult guy to get on with.

Anyone ever watched Anthony Bourdain's 'No Reservations' show? He's good too. An American chef who travels to different countries to explore the local cuisine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭enner43

Has to be Gordon Ramsey for me. Love watchin US Hells Kitchen. The americans just dont know what to make of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dazzlemoo

I love Jamie Oliver.

I was given Jamie's 30 Minute Meals last Christmas and it's the only cookbook I've ever had where I've actually been able to create good home-made meals.
    The problem I have with a lot of celebrity chefs is that they either require you to source some ingredient not readily available or it's all too fancy.
    I like good, home-cooked food that tastes great and doesn't require you to stand over a stove all day long.

Jamie Oliver's recipes are fantastic for the everyday cook who's looking to incorporate some fresh ideas into their daily meals.
    I absolutely adore his meatball and pasta recipe, and his Jalfrezi. Both of these go down a storm every time I make them.

Jamie's the one for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Glynn Purnell, Prue Leith and Paul Flynn.

Can't stick Corrigan since he switched from advocating €20 chickens to beef shins and offal once the recession bit. Chancer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Not a chef chef but I do adore Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa. I love her homely style of cooking where everything is non-complicated & so doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

It's definitely Neven Magiure for me. He makes thing so easy, that even I can follow, both in is programmes and his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Laslo wrote: »
    My God. What is wrong with this planet? Gordon Ramsay is one of the most disgusting, putrid individuals I have ever seen. He's arrogant and foul-mouthed. He's a bully and an intolerable a$$hole. Anyone who can't see this has very poor judgement in people. He may be a great chef but I think this reality TV phenomenon has made people expect those on top of their game should be deplorable individuals. You can be good at what you do without being a complete pr1ck you know?

He is a bit of a pr*ck but his recipes are usually spot on. I do enjoy cooking them and they always turn out as they should. But I would never invest in any of his books or establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    He is a bit of a pr*ck but his recipes are usually spot on. I do enjoy cooking them and they always turn out as they should. But I would never invest in any of his books or establishments.

he is, he's is very arrogant and pure TV chef, but saying that he was one of the most talented chefs around for years, just have a look at how many star chefs he has trained (marcus wearing, jason atheron, angela harnett)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I like all of them, I have to say!

James Martin, The Hairy Bikers and Simon Hopkinson are great, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

While I like watching a number of them, for a number of reasons, If I was to do a lesson with any of them it would be Darina Allen, don't think any of the others have her overall knowledge, especially of older dishes and techniques. Granted Heston knows the science etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement