Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New company car help!

Options
  • 04-12-2007 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

hi, i just landed a new job and i have a choice what do ye think would be best ? im not worried about resale value but i can only choose from these 3.

What Car ? 14 votes

Peugeot 407 1.6 HDI ST SOLAIRE
    0% 0 votes
    Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-4D STRATA.
    28% 4 votes
    Ford Mondeo 1.8TDCI 125PS ZETEC
    71% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

i like mondeos, but id prefer a 2.0TDCI. otherwise go for the avensis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I ment to vote for the mondeo. Trow 2 studs on the roof make sure it has dub plates and you can pretend to be a copper

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Having driven all 3, the Avensis has the best engine, the 407 is the comfiest, and the Mondeo is the most fun to drive.
    Depends on what your priorities are.

407 Solaires are getting cruise control, electric sunroof and something else useful if ordered this year for January.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

I bought Zetec 1.8 tdci 125 bhp in May.Its a great car,pleny of room,zip and close to 50 mpg (computer reading generally shows 6.1 ltrs/100km).The 2 ltr is 130 bhp,I dont know whether it would be worthwhile paying for the extra 5 bhp, but I'm no expert or speed merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

port wrote: »
    I bought Zetec 1.8 tdci 125 bhp in May.Its a great car,pleny of room,zip and close to 50 mpg (computer reading generally shows 6.1 ltrs/100km).The 2 ltr is 130 bhp,I dont know whether it would be worthwhile paying for the extra 5 bhp, but I'm no expert or speed merchant.

They hide all the speed at 128bhp.:D

• Advertisement

torque is cheap (well, not in this case)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »
    torque is cheap (well, not in this case)

Cheap as chips http://www.dieselchiptuning.com/ *

*first link on google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

mondeo, mondeo, Mondeo.............I had 2 of em and always gave me great service. And the new one is a peach inside.......much nicer than a pug or toyota and face it, your going to be looking at the inside loads more than the outside.

what a great position to be in tho'! Choosing 3 new motors for the new year. Congrats on the new job!:D

Mondeo would be very very tempting though. not a fan of the silver plastic all over the dash but I'd definately have it before the Pug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Mondeo would be very very tempting though. not a fan of the silver plastic all over the dash but I'd definately have it before the Pug.

agree about the interior, thats whats put me off the new one, unless ya get the titanium model ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Voted Mondeo III. If it was the previous Mondeo, I'd have voted for the 407

@OP - you sure those three are the only choices? Sometimes you can be given a wider choice if you're prepared to pay a bit towards it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

unkel wrote: »
    Voted Mondeo III. If it was the previous Mondeo, I'd have voted for the 407

@OP - you sure those three are the only choices? Sometimes you can be given a wider choice if you're prepared to pay a bit towards it yourself

your right, i can pay some more myself but with 1 child in the creche and another on the way i cant really justify spending money when i dont have to. the price of child care is a disgrace but thats another days discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd go for the Mondeo myself. It is the freshest design of the three mentioned.

The Avensis while a good motor (having had one for 4.5 years), it is getting long in the tooth now and showing it's age.

The 407 styling just doesn't do it for me (nose is too long) and the rear leg room is tight and boot is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

pm. wrote: »
    your right, i can pay some more myself but with 1 child in the creche and another on the way i cant really justify spending money when i dont have to

Tell me about it :)

Just to indulge us, what other options do you have and what would you have to pay more?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I voted Pug....a) because I don't believe that the company meant the new Mondeo, b) The Avensis is as Bazz said "long in the tooth" and c) you're not taking the depreciation hit and you might as well have some fun testing other cars when it's in being fixed:D:D

If it was my own money....Avensis slightly pips Mondeo, simply becaseu of the amount of unmarked Mondeos on the force:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Which is the cheapest as you will have to pay BIK on the cost of the car and the cheaper the car the less BIK you will have to pay, also if you have to pay private milage you would be better to get a diesel as the company can claim the VAT back on diesel

jahalpin wrote: »
    Which is the cheapest as you will have to pay BIK on the cost of the car and the cheaper the car the less BIK you will have to pay, also if you have to pay private milage you would be better to get a diesel as the company can claim the VAT back on diesel

All the car models the OP mentioned are diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

pm. wrote: »
    your right, i can pay some more myself but with 1 child in the creche and another on the way i cant really justify spending money when i dont have to. the price of child care is a disgrace but thats another days discussion.

Given the day that's in it, don't forget the delightful BIK tax that you'll be liable for also :D

Advertisement