Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to College

Options
  • 04-12-2007 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I am looking for some help on any possible financial assistance I may (or may not!) be eligible to receive from 2008.
    I have already been to college and graduated with my UCD degree in 2004. I have been working since then as what I graduated at.

Now I am unhappy in my career and want to pursue something else which greatly interests me. I would like to go back to uni in 2008. I understand that I will have to pay fees for each year of this degree, as I have already got my "free" degree already.

However, I'm wondering if there's any financial assistance I could avail of while back in college? Does anyone know of any grants I could apply for? I'm not a typical mature student, because I would be going back into an undergraduate course (not via the mature student route but just using my original points from the LC).

I am currently trying to save up to pay for some of the undergraduate fees. I will probably need to take out a loan for the remainder. Other than this I will have 5 years in uni with no income, am I entitled to any sort of grants scheme?

Any help appreciated - thanks!

Comments

I can't reply in detail, but have a look at the stickies ont he main forum page and at my signature. Will reply in more detail soon!

Hi,

Hello and welcome! Apologies for a brief answer earlier.
    I am looking for some help on any possible financial assistance I may (or may not!) be eligible to receive from 2008.
    I have already been to college and graduated with my UCD degree in 2004. I have been working since then as what I graduated at.

Now I am unhappy in my career and want to pursue something else which greatly interests me. I would like to go back to uni in 2008. I understand that I will have to pay fees for each year of this degree, as I have already got my "free" degree already.

However, I'm wondering if there's any financial assistance I could avail of while back in college? Does anyone know of any grants I could apply for? I'm not a typical mature student, because I would be going back into an undergraduate course (not via the mature student route but just using my original points from the LC).

I am currently trying to save up to pay for some of the undergraduate fees. I will probably need to take out a loan for the remainder. Other than this I will have 5 years in uni with no income, am I entitled to any sort of grants scheme?

Any help appreciated - thanks!

The short answer is no - at present, there isn't much for students who wish to pursue a second undergraduate degree, as long as it isn't based on progression (i.e. going back to get your Honours Degree if you left at Ordinary Degree stage in ITs etc., or going on to do a postgraduate course).

The middle-ish answer concerns some areas of funding available in college. This will come as the form of scholarships inside the specific college you'll be applying to, and shouldn't be effected by whether you have a previous degree. Also, for students who are facing hardship during the year there is the Student Assistance Fund. This will involve applying directly to your college's student services department, possibly via your Students' Union, in order to avail of a small fee. The general rule is that it isn't bottomless, but it's definitely worth considering it if you're going back to do a degree (i.e., as you know, it's expensive!).

So that's really it. If there's anything else feel free to ask, or else contact the college you'll be applying to for more information on the scholarships/grants available internally.

Best of luck with your future studies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fawltytowers

Thanks for this. Yes I didn't think that there was too much out there for someone in my situation. But it's good to know about that Student Assistance Fund, and I will get in touch with the college to find out what else might be available!

Thanks again.

No problem, hope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement