Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christmas

Options
  • 04-12-2007 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

do you celebrate christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I don't have any great problem with it as it's pretty much completely commercial at this stage and can be a bit of fun... No different to Halloween really.

Can't say I do much celebration of it though... other than probably going out to parties a lot more...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Yep. Great excuse for a few days off and guzzling turkey and red wine.

I also celebrate Walpurgisnacht and the various soltice and exquinox of the year. Why? Because I want to have a knees up, not for any pseudo religious purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Excellent - it's that time of year again - for questions like "why would an atheist celebrate Christmas?"

I think I'll call it:

ZOMG U DON'T BELIEVE IN TEH BABY JESUS - HOW DARE U EAT TURKEY AND HAVE A DAY OFF?

Last year if I remember a fairly spirited defence against this idiocy was put up, so to reiterate:

An end of year celebration long pre-dates Christianity, for example Saturnia, Yule etc ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas )

All of the secular things we (atheists?) do at Christmas have little or nothing to do with Christianity - turkeys, presents, trees, Santa Claus, fairy lights etc.

Yes we call it 'Christmas', I call the 7th and 8th months of the year July and August - it doesn't mean I think Julius and Augustus were Gods!

So the fact that one of the worlds religions somehow appropriated this celebration and want to pretend it was when their Messiah was born - why should we let that get in the way of our party? Peace and goodwill to all men - I have no ill feeling towards Christians for their deception at this time of year - I think they should be free to celebrate Christmas with the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I do love Christmas, but I've no problem working both the 25th and 26th for triple pay! Money-hungry atheist that I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Yep. Great excuse for a few days off and guzzling turkey and red wine.

Far out!

You guzzle Turkey? Do you blend that before hand like a 'meat shake' or just masticate and then guzzle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I do love Christmas, but I've no problem working both the 25th and 26th for triple pay! Money-hungry atheist that I am.
    You're what's wrong with the world! :mad:

I'll be celebrating Christmas. Nowadays the holiday transcends religious beliefs, and it is in effect a "family" holiday. It's certainly born of our religious past, but today it is simply an excuse to get all the family together, give presents, eat, drink, and be merry.

I'll also be displaying a crib, going to mass, and putting up a Christmas tree (a Protestant tradition AFAIK). Why? Because it's traditional. I use religious expressions, read religious poetry, listen to religious music (a significant amount more than most Christians I know, actually -- Jesus Christ Superstar rocks, the Dublin Gospel Choir, Kirk Franklin), enjoy religious paintings......... etc

There's no need to chuck the baby out with the bath-water when it comes to religion. There's some good things spawned from it, and Christmas is one of them. Of course, people were having days of celebration and merriment long before Christianity came along, but the fact that we get the time off work, etc., is a result of the presence of the Christian faith in Ireland.

Having said all that, if Christmas was no longer recognised by employers/the state, I wouldn't be too fussed -- as long as it's replaced by a similar, secular day of celebration/family.

I can see many religious people will be throwing out arguments about if Christianity wasn't recognised then we'd just be working throughout the year and have no time for family. Why? Could we not have non-religious days of celebration? Bloody hell, we should have more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

DaveMcG wrote: »
    You're what's wrong with the world! :mad:

I'm with customer support though, I'll be helping all those fools with phone problems on Xmas Day. I'd do it for free... :D

Bless you :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Most definitly will celebrate christmas, tree, food and presents. Christmas day also just happens to be my wedding aniversary:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Yeah, in fairness Christmas is class, Turkey, Plum Pud, Lazin round the house, spendin time with the family, and having the time off work to do it all, It makes all the crappy weather tolerable, even though it has been turned into a commercial nightmare. Just try and make any gifts meaningful and spend some time with your favorite people and you'll enjoy it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I thoroughly enjoy my pagan mid-winter festival.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I celebrate any day there are roast potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, I might even go to midnight mass for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Im still debating wether or not to say "Happy Holiday" this year, just to be a git and spark some interesting conversation.

FWIW, I love Christmas. Its about family really innit, especially the kids. I have 2 nieces now and its great to see kids enjoy Christmas.

New Years is different.. It's hit or miss. If Im not having a really super awesome time, Ill just burst into drunken tears of nostalgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

bah humbug

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

As stated earlier mid-Winter festivals like the Solstice pre-date Christianity. so that is enough of a reason to have a party. That said, I love the traditional Christmas, the time off work, catching up with family and friends, the food and drink, etc.

I think its worth keeping the Christian aspect of it alive as well, as its part of our history.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Mordeth wrote: »
    I celebrate any day there are roast potatoes

Followed by wine.
    Bailys for breakfast.
    Wine.
    Prezzies.
    Wine.
    Doing nothing but lazing around the house.
    Wine.
    What's not to celebrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I am appalled at the increasing Christianisation of Yule.
    I tried to go out and buy my traditional pagan tree, holly and mistletoe last year to find that the price had been driven up by Christians. I mean really this parthenogenesis cult even steals babies with orbs. The Roman God Sol Invictus whose feast day was December 25th. He was also drawn with an orb around his head the same way Christ is portrayed. And on his feast day gifts were exchanged.

Are none of my beliefs sacred to these plagiarists?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

cavedave wrote: »
    I am appalled at the increasing Christianisation of Yule.
    I tried to go out and buy my traditional pagan tree, holly and mistletoe last year to find that the price had been driven up by Christians. I mean really this parthenogenesis cult even steals babies with orbs. The Roman God Sol Invictus whose feast day was December 25th. He was also drawn with an orb around his head the same way Christ is portrayed. And on his feast day gifts were exchanged.

Are none of my beliefs sacred to these plagiarists?

Praise be to Sol Invictus, PIVS FELIX INVICTVS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Zillah wrote: »
    I thoroughly enjoy my pagan mid-winter festival.

Me too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The Bollox wrote: »
    Hmmm. This thread should really be in the "Consumer" forum on Boards...

Can't think of another forum here that suits it more. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Of course most atheists will celebrate on that day, I certainly will. To me it's just a day to spend with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

It's a pagan festival welcoming mid-winter after all....but still I love it :)
    I don't celebrate it religiously, I dont believe its Christ's birthday or go to mass since I'm a Muslim however I love the whole experience of it, the shopping (do it early!), getting presents, Cooking, watching National Lampoons Christmas vacation is a traditional event in our house for the past 10 years! and there's something about Christmas eve that I really enjoy...just relaxing, you know.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Followed by wine.
    Bailys for breakfast.
    Wine.
    Prezzies.
    Wine.
    Doing nothing but lazing around the house.
    Wine.
    What's not to celebrate?

Its Xmas, add more Wines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

The Bollox wrote: »
    They tell me I've declared War on Christmas. News to me, but O'Reilly and co only see what they want to see. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yeah lack of sun!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Its Xmas, add more Wines.

I was going to, but then I thought people might think I'm an alco....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's always nice when someone starts a thread with a one line question and then contributes nothing to it..

Really puts you in the xmas spirit.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I was going to, but then I thought people might think I'm an alco....

No way:eek: Happy festive spirit to all

• Advertisement

It's always nice when someone starts a thread with a one line question and then contributes nothing to it..

Really puts you in the xmas spirit.
    No you shut up

Advertisement