Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I might be doing a radio slot on christmas day actually... anyone got any subversive requests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Do you say "happy christmas" or "merry christmas" to anyone around this time of year? I don't mean when woking and are obliged to, I mean when in the pub with a few mates would you raise your glass and say either quotes or salute anyone who said them? considiring you are basically saying "enjoy the day Jesus Christ was born" despite not believing it

I don't think I make a habbit of saying it personally.

And make sure my office is nice and secular... the cards we send out from the office always read 'season's greetings'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I might be doing a radio slot on christmas day actually... anyone got any subversive requests?

Anything from scary solstice...

http://www.cthulhulives.org/Solstice/

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Anything from scary solstice...

http://www.cthulhulives.org/Solstice/

Lol.

Reminds me much of these two chick tract parodies.

The Bollox wrote:
    considiring you are basically saying "enjoy the day Jesus Christ was born" despite not believing it

I think you're quite missing the whole "Actually, it's a pagan festival." rebuttal that was made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

The Bollox wrote: »
    Do you say "happy christmas" or "merry christmas" to anyone around this time of year? I don't mean when woking and are obliged to, I mean when in the pub with a few mates would you raise your glass and say either quotes or salute anyone who said them? considiring you are basically saying "enjoy the day Jesus Christ was born" despite not believing it

It's not any different to saying, "See you on Thursday" which is really saying, "I'll see you on Thor's special day" despite not believing in Thor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Far out!

You guzzle Turkey? Do you blend that before hand like a 'meat shake' or just masticate and then guzzle?

Depends on my mood and access to quality home-liquidising equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Any chance of hearing "Santa Clause is on the dole" by the Spitting Image guys ... y'now, in honour of all of us who have lost out jobs coming upto Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

im not too keen on referring to it as pagan festival either, I know pagan means non-religious too partly but It still associates with worship of gods, it simply an end of year thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

chrifsmas.jpg
    This ChriFSMas, my dinner will be: Spaghetti & Meat Balls! :p

• Advertisement

Pagan does not mean non religous it means non Abrahamic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is there anyone else here who doesn't eat turkey on xmas? We always have rolled pork&stuffing, Mmmmm:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Lots of nice food, time of work to spend with friends and family, presents and booze -what more could you want.
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    Bailys for breakfast.

I'm so trying this this year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

hmm interesting.

Personally I found it funny the fundies on both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Is there anyone else here who doesn't eat turkey on xmas? We always have rolled pork&stuffing, Mmmmm:)
    *Raises hand* We have beef wellington - a big block in fillet steak covered in mushrooms and onions and baked in pastry. It is the best stuff ever.

I love Christmas. Last year was terrible as there had been a death in the immediate family so we barely celebrated at all. This year should be better - tons of food, wine, movies and whiskey. I bought my brother an expensive bottle of Scotch which he'd better open!

No need to bring religion into the equation - no one else seems to anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Pagan does not mean non religous it means non Abrahamic.

I knew when I wrote you'd be along to comment:) its a byword for non-religious... it mixes pre-christian with pre-religion as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Time to bring out the big guns - the bible quote!

I wonder how many Christians will be putting trees up in their house this Christmas despite direct instructions from their LORD not to?
    1 Hear what the LORD says to you, O house of Israel. 2 This is what the LORD says:
    "Do not learn the ways of the nations
    or be terrified by signs in the sky,
    though the nations are terrified by them.

3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless;
    they cut a tree out of the forest,
    and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.

4 They adorn it with silver and gold;
    they fasten it with hammer and nails
    so it will not totter.

I knew when I wrote you'd be along to comment:) its a byword for non-religious... it mixes pre-christian with pre-religion as we know it.

I actually take offense at you saying that I am non religious.
    My religion is infact post christianity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I actually take offense at you saying that I am non religious.
    My religion is infact post christianity.
    I've just read your stickied post concerning "Paganism" in that forum, and it appears there is no defined accepted usage of the word. So isn't it a bit much to get offended by a misinterpretation of it?

Bleargh.... I walked into work today to find they've gone super overboard with the whole christmas thing... There is usually just a big tree tastfully decorated in the foyer. But this year there are massive signs saying "The Spirit of Christmas" all over the place...

It all seems a little over the top for a building built with public money that is supposed to serve the entire community. It's home to both the local social welfare office and the FÁS office.

Thanks for the music suggestions everyone... I'll be on the air from 11.30 until 14.00 on 90.3 fm in Dublin... it's also streamed live online as well...

and ?

Just because some pagans be they neo and meso are not religious does not mean all are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Bleargh.... I walked into work today to find they've gone super overboard with the whole christmas thing... There is usually just a big tree tastfully decorated in the foyer. But this year there are massive signs saying "The Spirit of Christmas" all over the place...

It all seems a little over the top for a building built with public money that is supposed to serve the entire community. It's home to both the local social welfare office and the FÁS office.

Thanks for the music suggestions everyone... I'll be on the air from 11.30 until 14.00 on 90.3 fm in Dublin... it's also streamed live online as well...

Will you stop!!!! In what way does writing 'The Spirit of Christmas' have anything to do with infringing on the feelings of the 'entire community'?
    The spirit of christmas could be interpreted in many ways..but yeah I guess promoting good relations between other people through a Religious holiday is pretty damn offensive...moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

why don't we just promote good will all year round? Why do we need religious overtunes? No matter how watered down they are....

Christmas, probably the least Christian time of the year. A time of excess and materialism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

and ?

Just because some pagans be they neo and meso are not religious does not mean all are.
    Do you ever feel you might be taking this whole religion thing a bit too seriously?

estebancambias
    We'll let you away with an infraction for now, but blatant name-calling again and you'll find a ban gift-wrapped under your tree.

Borders have put a 'Christmas Card' with the text 'O Come all ye faithless' on copies of Dawkin's The God Delusion they're selling this Christmas.

A controversial Christmas card reading “O come all ye faithless” has been strongly criticized by Christians as an “ill judged and insensitive joke.” Borders book stores began giving away the card free with every copy of Richard Dawkins’ well known atheist work, The God Delusion, this Christmas.

He was supported by Justin Thacker, head of theology at the Evangelical Alliance, who said, “It won't surprise me if this spectacularly fails. Christmas still holds a high place in people's hearts - I think a lot of people will be offended by it."
    http://www.christianpost.com/article/20071217/30535_Borders_Tags_Atheist_Book_with_'O_Come_All_Ye_Faithless'_Cards.htm

I know this is probably the wrong place to ask, but how is putting this on a book that's called 'The God Delusion' offensive? Yes it pays homage to the title of *one* carol but really, offensive? If we have any theists left who are offended I'd genuinely like to know what part of that you find offensive. Seriously.

pH wrote: »
    I know this is probably the wrong place to ask, but how is putting this on a book that's called 'The God Delusion' offensive? Yes it pays homage to the title of *one* carol but really, offensive? If we have any theists left who are offended I'd genuinely like to know what part of that you find offensive. Seriously.
    Kneejerk reaction I suspect.
    Aaargh! A pun on a religious tune title! By ATHEISTS!

• Advertisement

For fellow atheists who might be confused about Christmas ...

http://www.isitchristmas.com/

edited to add:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article3076008.ece
    Here's a link to a Times article on what the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams thinks about 'myths' that Christians believe about Christmas. I think he makes a number of good points until we get to this:

“The thing is, belief in Santa does not generate a moral code, it does not generate art, it does not generate imagination. Belief in God is a bit bigger than that,” the Archbishop said.

Can he not see, or is he refusing to see? Surely belief in Santa is at its heart a moral code - "be good get toys, be bad - get nothing ... Santa's watching you!" That's a moral code, I fail to see how it's any different from "be good go to heaven".

As for belief in Santa not generating art or imagination ... try being a kid.

Advertisement