Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much Coffee Is Bad For You?

Options
  • 05-12-2007 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

HI,

On a good day I drink about 7 cups of coffee,With four of these being drank before 12.00.

A bad day would see me at about 10-12...

At Home I have one of those Massive Starbucks mugs which I fill twice in succession(meaning once its empty I fill it straight back up)

When I return from home (Donegal) back to Dublin I'll have one before I Leave, One in Cavan and One when I reach Dublin before I go to bed..

I drink mainly Kenco Rich Roast Columbian..

So, back to my Question..

How Much Coffee Is Bad For You?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭seanabc

More than four cups of cafetiere coffee would be enough to keep me awake at night.

If you're lying awake at 3am reading this, then that is how much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 finkaboutit555

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Thanks, good article.. I do actually drink in and around 2ltrs of water per day..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Coffee is a very complex substance with many separate components in it.
    It can have both positive and negative effects on a person.

Whereas the effects of raw caffeine content may be the easiest to notice from drinking lots of coffee, there are a lot of other factors that will determine how it affects you (at least subjectively) - for instance, coffee type (instant, filter, espresso etc.), whether you drink it after a meal, individual susceptibility etc.

So there is probably no single answer to 'How much is bad for you'.

However if you suffer from anxiety, insomnia etc., then you should certainly moderate consumption. 7 double espressos for a teenager is probably pushing it, however a guy in work used to brew a large pot of espresso for breakfast everyday so who knows :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I wonder does drinking 6-10 cups a day protect you even more against cirrhosis and alzheimer's, or does it explain why I am still up? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I used to drink 4-6 double espressos a day as a teenager and into my early 20s. You get used to it, but then you get dependant on it - I used to get tremors if I didn't drink at least a cup a day. That aside, there were no ill effects, or at least, none that doing a PhD in computer science didn't mask effectively :D

Eventually I went cold turkey for a while (at the time there was a limit on how much caffine you could have in your system for the drugs test in olympic shooting, and I was a bit over that) and then I eased back into it - now I'd drink maybe 3-4 cups of filter coffee on a bad day and none at all on a good day (but I would drink earl grey on a good day). But I'd notice the side-effects a lot more now that I'm in my 30s. Getting old I suppose :D

Advertisement