Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrera Vulcan - What do you think?

Options
  • 05-12-2007 12:17am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting this. I can get it in my local Hafords for €330. This would be as much as I'm willing to spend on my new bike. It seems pretty good for the money but I'm not all that knowledgeable on these things any more so I'm looking for opinions on it. What do you think of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Pongo

Someone more learned in these matters will no doubt advise you better, but have you had a look online rather than buying in Halford's? You're just about into the territory of getting something decent price wise rather than a piece of junk, I know it's a few quid more expensive but how about this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14919

or this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14965

As I said someone will give you better advise, I just think you can do better than Halford's for that price range....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Pongo wrote: »
    Someone more learned in these matters will no doubt advise you better, but have you had a look online rather than buying in Halford's? You're just about into the territory of getting something decent price wise rather than a piece of junk, I know it's a few quid more expensive but how about this:

or this:

As I said someone will give you better advise, I just think you can do better than Halford's for that price range....

Nothing wrong with Halfords.

http://www.bikeradar.com/beginners/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/vulcan-07-27707

Hardly a piece of junk

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pongo wrote: »

or this:

Those bikes work out at nearly €400, I was hoping for something closer to €300. If Halfords deliver it to my local store then the Carrera will work out at around €300 which is pretty sweet.

Also the Carrera has disk brakes (I know they aren't hydraulics but still better than v brakes).

I seen that revew the other day but I wasn't sure if it was for the vulcan or the fury (much more expensive) and I had forgotten where it was. Glad to see it was for the carrera.

Does anyone know if Halfords let people in Ireland use the reserve and collect feature from the website? It only gives me the option to collect from 5 stores neither of which is in Ireland. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

quick question - what are you planning to use the bike for?

I never said there was anything wrong with Halford's, and I didn't mean to say it was a piece of junk, it was late, I was tired, brain no work well...
    I just think that in that price range you can get more bang for your buck online.

AlmightyCushion do you have to buy before Christmas? It's probably the worst time to get a good deal, if you were to hang on until January you should get some good deals, both in bricks and mortar shops and online.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

noblestee wrote: »
    quick question - what are you planning to use the bike for?

Well a bit of commuting is the main reason for buying the bike but I also plan on doing some cross country as well. If I was just commuting, I'd save myself some money and just buy some piece of crap that will get me from a to b.

@Pongo - Before christmas would be nice but by no means essential. I guess I'll wait if it means saving a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Nothing wrong with Halfords.
    There's alot wrong with some Halfords stores. Look on the bikeradar forums and you'll see threads about them. But there prices are good compared to online.
    Also the Carrera has disk brakes (I know they aren't hydraulics but still better than v brakes).
    You're not going to notice a big performance increase with mechanical discs over good v-brakes. Discs are also alot heavier so don't write a bike off just on that.
    Does anyone know if Halfords let people in Ireland use the reserve and collect feature from the website? It only gives me the option to collect from 5 stores neither of which is in Ireland. :(
    The website seems to be completely UK centric so your best bet would be to go to the store and see if they can order one in or they might even have one in stock.

I'd also look at GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc and Mongoose Tyax Elite if you can find them anywhere.

Definitely worth hanging on then,of course you do run the risk that the Carrera will be sold out, it seems to be a clearance item already, but there will definitely be plenty of other offers come January...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

that carrera is a 2007 model, the 2008 will be in already thats why its cheap, savage entry XC bike but not great for the commute.....
    if i were you id go with the subway1 for e250, then spend the rest on gear.:D

just a bit off topic but the difference between mechanical disc brakes and V-brakes is very very small, the only advantages the discs have is, (1)they last longer....but more expensive. (2) you can cycle with a buckle (3) more efficient in the wet.
    power wise they are the same. this is a decent V-brake V a Decent disc brake, obviously the cheaper end of both are rubbish

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    The website seems to be completely UK centric so your best bet would be to go to the store and see if they can order one in or they might even have one in stock.

I think they have it in the store but the website was a lot cheaper (about €50) because there was an offer on it but the offer must have expired, it's now only around €20 cheaper online. I won't lose too much sleep over €20.
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    I'd also look at GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc and Mongoose Tyax Elite if you can find them anywhere.

My budget is €300, the carrera is pushing over it at €330 but I don't mind stretching it to €330 if it's worth it. Those bikes are around £300 which is too much.
    kona wrote: »
    that carrera is a 2007 model, the 2008 will be in already thats why its cheap, savage entry XC bike but not great for the commute.....
    if i were you id go with the subway1 for e250, then spend the rest on gear.:D

just a bit off topic but the difference between mechanical disc brakes and V-brakes is very very small, the only advantages the discs have is, (1)they last longer....but more expensive. (2) you can cycle with a buckle (3) more efficient in the wet.
    power wise they are the same. this is a decent V-brake V a Decent disc brake, obviously the cheaper end of both are rubbish

Well it isn't a very long commute. It's a 40 minute walk for me to college and it sucks so I'm trying to cut it down a bit. So I'm not worried about how it fares on the commute because it isn't that long.

Seeing as the vulcan is going cheap because it's an old model, I guessing waiting until the new year may not be the best thing to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement