Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2: using the text interface on broadband modem.

Options
  • 05-12-2007 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

I am wondering has anyone else, specifically on O2, asked about using the text interface on their 3.5G modem?

I have a company that has a large database of mobile numbers that I text from a number that I only pay for the SIM card. I use the O2 website to send the text and add the bundles, i.e. €20 for 400 texts, to the account as I need them. This is preferable to texting from a live handset and people calling you at inopportune times. (I have an office number that people can ring and a website that has extensive information if they need further detail.)

It was only when I took out the broadband option with them, and after I installed it, I realised that there, built in, fully usable, able to send, and receive, was the software to allow you to text people and have the charges added to your broadband account.

Once I realised this I rang, the ever helpful, O2 care and asked them could I simply add text bundles to the broadband account and ditch my extraneous SIM. The representative had no idea and invited me to partake in an experiment: they would apply the text bundle and I would send texts and they would call me back the next day and they would know at that stage how my account was going to be billed. I said no problem and we did it. To cut it short, the news was bad and I was told that the 3G SIM cards were designed for data only and that their billing was not setup to apply text bundles to these accounts. Get this: the texts had all been charged at the full rate, despite the request by the care rep for a bundle. (they refunded all the charges)

I argued that this was a rather silly stance and that the software was there and that a mild tweak in their billing admin would allow this to be done. I never really got a clear answer as to why this is not possible.

Has anyone else had this idea, or would they use this in their business/personal life? Has anyone else tried/asked about the same? If enough people were interested in this facility, O2 would bend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The experiment sounds great! :)

They have a business desktop texting thing which integrates into your MS Outlook. Only supports sending though. Not sure how the billing works but I think you can buy bundles for it. Ring up O2 Business and see if that works out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

thats a good one, the technology is there on the sim, i have had a couople of people miss dial and dial the number for my o2 modem, i know this when i switch on the computer and i have a txt message to adv me i have a message, ended up having to access the mail box from my mobile, have since got o2 to disable the voice mail, call waiting, etc on the number as only going to be using it for broadband

so if it can receive calls and txts, surly it can be set up to be billed for calls and txts made from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

random wrote: »
    The experiment sounds great! :)

They have a business desktop texting thing which integrates into your MS Outlook. Only supports sending though. Not sure how the billing works but I think you can buy bundles for it. Ring up O2 Business and see if that works out for you?

That is not a bad sounding option, they have tried to push that on me, however, I use Thunderbird and I have no desire to change. You can apply the bundles to it, correct, but it would essentially be the same as what I am doing now.

You can receive texts via the interface, unlike desktop text. Useful if you wanted to read the feedback, which is a definite plus for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

irish-stew wrote: »

so if it can receive calls and txts, surly it can be set up to be billed for calls and txts made from it

That's exactly the point I have tried to make to them.

Advertisement