Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaming rig. give us a rating!

Options
  • 05-12-2007 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

ok, decided not to build a small form factor...
    i wanted the nzxt rogue, but its like finding gold in dem dere hills...

so putting this together.

cpu: qx6700
    ram: 4 GB OCZ pc2 8500 1066mhz sli ready edition
    harddrive: 2 x raptor x 150gb.
    graphics: 8800 ultra oc 768mb ( will sli when i can afford a second! )
    power: seasonic 700w m12 modular
    case: nzxt lexa blackline, redline edition

advice on motherboard?

watercooling when i get some more knowledge on it, but for now it will be fan cooled.

any ideas on changes or options etc?
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you plan on overclocking (Which I presume you are seeing as you plan on water cooling) then you could save money on the graphics card by going with a 8800gt or gtx and overclocking it. It may not clock to the performance of the ultra but it should come close enough to more than justify the saving.

You could also go with the q6600 (It would save you about €200 or so) and overclock that. If you get a G0 stepping it should clock very nicely.

Apparently the 150GB raptors aren't great performance wise. I think some 7200rpm (samsung if memory serves me right) drives actually perform better than them. The 7200rpm drives would also be cheaper and less noisey. They would also use less power.

What monitor are you planning on getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

God I wish I could afford that... Sounds perfect to me! But I don't know that much about PC hardware... That's whay I couldn't advise you on a MoBo! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ya, I have some raptors myself and agree they are not worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

case: nzxt lexa blackline, redline edition

That's one sexy-ass case. It was top of my list but decided against it after reading/watching some reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

If you get a G0 stepping it should clock very nicely.

What does this mean? I've just ordered a Q6600 and I'm not an overclocking kind of guy ("yet" anyway!).

Sorry for thread hacking! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

no worries on the thread hacking :D

right, ive already bought the qx6700 so cant go back on that, but i got it real cheap! so worth it.

ill take the advise on the 8800gt and clock it instead of getting the ultra.

yeah im overclocking as much as i can get but not too close to fry it.

fnz, yeah its a lovely case, but i didnt read any bad reviews about it apart from the door on the front. can you link me?

and as for the raptor's, ive already got 1, so ill save getting the second and get the 750gb samsung. was thinking of doing that anyway, just decided to spend the money else where.

so other than that, it looks good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Why don't you wait till after Christmas and all the prices will go down and supposedly the new nvidia cards will come out and be tons better than the ultra?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

yeah its a lovely case, but i didnt read any bad reviews about it apart from the door on the front.

Hmm... me neither, now. :o

I've been looking at so many case reviews recently I though a poor review may have been part of the reason I had decided not to get this one. It must have just been down to my budget - I decided I'd be better off buying a cheaper case and putting the money into other components. I also figured that I'd be better off with a PC that didn't emit quite so much light.

So, enjoy your case. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

was worried about the light it emit's, but im tinting the side panel

Advertisement