Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be celebrating Christmas?

• 05-12-2007 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey folks,

Just wondering if you Muslims will be celebrating Christmas this year :) We're having this discussion in the atheism forum, so thought I'd throw it out here too.

I know Jesus is fairly revered in Islam, but I'm not sure if Muslims do anything to recognise his birth.

Having said that, I don't know that it's too important if it's not part of your faith. I'm an atheist and I'll be celebrating Christmas -- and that includes doing some religious things like going to mass -- because it's traditional, and I think the holiday transcends religious boundaries nowadays.

BUT, I'm not sure it would sit right with some Muslims to give too much recognition to another religion which is at odds with your own.

So, what will ye be up to? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well Christianity is not really at odds with our religion. Now some followers tend to be at odds, but we have way more in common than different.

As for Christmas, my family buys presents etc for each other. No harm in it.

When we were children we put up the Christmas tree and decorations, and got presents. Our family did this so we wouldn't feel left out. We never celebrated the religious aspects, but joined in on the rest. Sure its a harmless bit of fun and children especially love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

And did the big red man come down the chimney for you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

And did the big red man come down the chimney for you ?

Of course he did :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Well our Eid is coming soon on the 19/20th Dec.Otherwise We (My family) dont really celebrate christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

I LOVE Christmas, love the atmosphere, the whole experience. however I don't celebrate Christmas in the religious aspect since I dont believe he was born on the 25th December. We had a long discussion a year or so ago about this in the spiritual forum also covered Santa. ( I should look for it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

wes wrote: »
    Of course he did :D.
    Its good to hear you weren't naughty then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I like the original spirit of Christmas, but won't be celebrating it as a Christian holiday. Usually my parents go on holiday and for the past few years I've spent it with my brother and a (non Muslim) friend who doesn't like or celebrate Christmas and we eat pizza!
    Having said that, if I were to be a father I'd probably do the Santa thing with my children. Santa wasn't a feature of my life (as a child of the 90s) but I reckon even now things are a bit different for kids, and that with the huge omnipresence of Christmas these days, you can't successfully get away with that anymore without a sense (rightly or wrongly) of depriving your children of something.

As drdre mentioned, like last year Bakra Eid/ Eid ul-Adha (Day of Sacrifice, commemorating the sacrifice made by Ibrihim (Peace Be Upon Him)) falls around Christmastime. It has a similar ethos to the Christian tradition - visiting relatives, family dinner, charity, etc. So there will be some form of dual-celebration amongst the Christian and Muslim communities.

This festival doesn't fall around Christmas every year, due to the lunar calendar, so its unique timing around Christmas just makes it all the more special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

why would I celebrate christmas if im a muslim and don't believe in the story behind it all.Christmas is just another incredibly boring day for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

fatal wrote: »
    ...and don't believe in the story behind it all.Christmas is just another incredibly boring day for me

Join the club. Isn't a public holiday something to be positive about?

As for being boring, are you seriously suggesting you can't find anything to do, almost one day in the year when most places are closed? That's a personal issue you need to work on yourself.

As for the story behind it, I think we'd all agree that Christmas nowadays is mainly focused on the gift giving and Santa Claus aspect. Religious symbolism is rarer and rarer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Christmas is quickly becoming (or maybe even it's become) a capitalist holiday to celebrate buying things. Santy has nothing to do the original meaning of Christmas. As such I think it's open to everybody. I'd almost prefer if it stayed a religious holiday then it wouldn't cost me a fortune in presents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

InFront wrote: »
    I like the original spirit of Christmas, but won't be celebrating it as a Christian holiday.
    Likewise.
    I reckon even now things are a bit different for kids, and that with the huge omnipresence of Christmas these days, you can't successfully get away with that anymore without a sense (rightly or wrongly) of depriving your children of something.
    Nice, that explained just how I also feel. Its about our friends, family, and being nice at least one day in the year.
    Its good to hear you weren't naughty then :p
    What was it again you were expecting to get for Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I don't believe in Jesus, but it won't stop me from celebrating his birthday.

donaghs wrote: »
    Join the club. Isn't a public holiday something to be positive about?

As for being boring, are you seriously suggesting you can't find anything to do, almost one day in the year when most places are closed? That's a personal issue you need to work on yourself.

As for the story behind it, I think we'd all agree that Christmas nowadays is mainly focused on the gift giving and Santa Claus aspect. Religious symbolism is rarer and rarer.

Everywhere is generally closed for christmas day and st stephens day-2 days,not one!
    As for being bored,what can i say....im a very outgoing person.If being very outgoing is a problem,it could be the beginning of an worldwide epidemic

I don't believe in Jesus, but it won't stop me from celebrating his birthday.

emmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Suff wrote: »
    I LOVE Christmas, love the atmosphere, the whole experience. however I don't celebrate Christmas in the religious aspect since I dont believe he was born on the 25th December.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Have to say that the mindset of the Boards Islamic community has instilled some faith in relation tomy view of the Islamic Community in Ireland. Unfortunately the peaceful wishes of the majority are usually unheard. I realise the majority are human beings with basic peacful instincts like most humans of all creeds..

It is a shame that bearded preachers are the public face of Islam....I really wish the positive faces were seen more.

InFront wrote: »
    As drdre mentioned, like last year Bakra Eid/ Eid ul-Adha (Day of Sacrifice, commemorating the sacrifice made by Ibrihim (Peace Be Upon Him)) falls around Christmastime. It has a similar ethos to the Christian tradition - visiting relatives, family dinner, charity, etc. So there will be some form of dual-celebration amongst the Christian and Muslim communities.

This festival doesn't fall around Christmas every year, due to the lunar calendar, so its unique timing around Christmas just makes it all the more special.

Is Ibrihim like Abraham?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

fatal wrote: »
    emmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok??????

eeeeeeeeeeeeeemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok :)

bluewolf wrote: »
    Is Ibrihim like Abraham?

Yes, its Avraham in Hebrew, Ibrahim in Arabic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I LOVE Christmas, love the atmosphere, the whole experience. however I don't celebrate Christmas in the religious aspect since I dont believe he was born on the 25th December. We had a long discussion a year or so ago about this in the spiritual forum also covered Santa. ( I should look for it)

Neither do a lot of Christians, it's just the way it fit into the Christian calendar. The period of His birth isn't entirely certain but people have a number of means of calculating this. This takes it in light of how the Jewish festivals fell and the differences between John the Baptist and Jesus' births.

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Articles/Christmas/christmas.html

However I think it's important to honour his coming by reflection which is the purpose of the Advent season, a time of reflection and study of the kingship and the remembrance of the beginning of Christ's divine role on earth. Do Muslims have any festivals associated with Jesus? Excuse me for my ignorance, I know there is a festival in relation to Abraham which is around the same time as the Jewish Purim festival (one of the Eid's?)

Would be glad if someone could help me out with this.

• Advertisement

Jakkass wrote: »
    Do Muslims have any festivals associated with Jesus? Excuse me for my ignorance, I know there is a festival in relation to Abraham which is around the same time as the Jewish Purim festival (one of the Eid's?)

No there are'nt any, in Islam Christ (PBUH) is not believed to be crucified. we DO believe he was the Messiah we hold him dearly and greatly also his mother Miriam. We dont know the date of his birth or the date of his ascending to Heaven so no festivals are dedicated to him. to be honest with you I think maybe we should have one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

We dont know the date of his birth or the date of his ascending to Heaven so no festivals are dedicated to him. to be honest with you I think maybe we should have one!

Wouldn't it be great to have a day other than Christmas, to celebrate the life of Jesus?

A day which could be celebrated by both Christians and Muslims. I can't imagine it happening, but I really like the idea of Christians and Muslims being unified in their love and respect for Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

womoma wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great to have a day other than Christmas, to celebrate the life of Jesus?

A day which could be celebrated by both Christians and Muslims. I can't imagine it happening, but I really like the idea of Christians and Muslims being unified in their love and respect for Jesus.

They should allow for a celebration of His baptism as well because it is the mark of the beginning of His wordly ministry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 InOffice

Your right when you say christ was not born on or around the 25th Dec. It was changed by pope what ever, when ever, plus it would be very hard to calculate as and when they changed the calender, add months and so on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice

Any way I'll be celebrating the winter solstice with my family even if they don't know why exactly on the 24/25th. And my Muslin boyfriend will be coming too, caz other wise he'll be left on his own.(not that, thats the end of the world or anything). Plus when he ask his dad for a note to get out of mass, his dad told him "It's all the same god".

It's a festival week or weeks, I say try and make the most of it with family and community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Filan wrote: »
    Have to say that the mindset of the Boards Islamic community has instilled some faith in relation tomy view of the Islamic Community in Ireland. Unfortunately the peaceful wishes of the majority are usually unheard. I realise the majority are human beings with basic peacful instincts like most humans of all creeds..

It is a shame that bearded preachers are the public face of Islam....I really wish the positive faces were seen more.

Well put.:cool:

Advertisement