Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[US] 2x12 - "The British Invasion" (** Spoilers **)

• 05-12-2007 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭

... and the finale.

TV.com:
    The Task force believes the Bay Harbor Butcher case is closed, but Dexter still has some trouble to deal with.

We'll miss you Dex.... :)

Verdict? 55 votes

A geyser of blood
    0% 0 votes
    A nicked artery
    67% 37 votes
    A grazed knee
    30% 17 votes
    A paper cut
    1% 1 vote
    A stubbed toe
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mr E wrote: »
    We'll miss you Dex.... :)

I thought that was a spoiler for a second there. Then I realised that this was the finale. Relieved, isn't the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sorry AC... :)
    Season finale, but they're signed for Season 3 (so the man isn't going anywhere...)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah I know, I thought it was weird they were killing him off when season 3 has been confirmed. Then I realised you were just talking about the season being over. :o Now I just gotta find these.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

is it out?

Mordeth wrote: »
    is it out?

Apparently they've been leaked. I think someone posted up something naughty in the episode 10 discussion thread but Basquille got to it before I seen it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ahhhh feckity feck feck!

Was reading a forum when i read this.. it's not a spoiler but comments like this just make me wanna watch it NOW NOW NOW!
    Holy Bejesus. BEST. SEASON. FINALE. EVER

Til tomorrow evening....! :(

** unsubscribes from thread **

ep 12 6 minutes away, ep 11 34 minutes away

that's just not fair :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm not arsed talking about the two episodes seperately as I'm assuming anyone expecting spoilers here won't mind the spoilers for episode 11.

Wasn't as fantastic an ending as it could have been, although I suppose the last 3 episodes were bound to be poor compared with episode 9.
    I'm gonna miss the one guy who got the creeps off Dexter. And his motherfúckin catchphrase :( also, I wonder with the completely clean slate how Dexter's MO is going to change for the next season. Hmmmm, some challenges ahead for the writers:p

oh ****... I read as far as
    i'm gonna miss

omg.. omg..

must not read .. must not read

I spoilerified it for a reason! Go to bed or somethin!

• Advertisement

watching 11 now

*meep*

omfg

wow

god almight.. wow

best show ever

i'm going to say it... here it comes

it's better than babylon 5.

there, I said it.

it's true.
    suck it vorlon.

Have to admit I enjoyed the bit with Dexter going through his morning routine, some nice writing/voicing and irony!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Poor Doakes - it was unavoidable plotwise but he didn't deserve it.
    As for Lila - she deserved the chainsaw without an anaesthetic.

For a short while during the finale I thought it was heading towards Deb catching Dexter in the act.

Roll on season three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Poor doakes indeed :(

He was one of the best characters, dont know what it will be like with out him. Im sure they will introduce a new detective to replace doakes, but I cant see that character being better

Great season though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Would you guys care to blot out all the spoilers with tags please?

That means you Asbad and Deep Blue. Before Basquille gets involved.

mikeruurds wrote: »
    Would you guys care to blot out all the spoilers with tags please?

That means you Asbad and Deep Blue. Before Basquille gets involved.

In fairness this is a discussion thread on the episode. Spoilers should be expected regardless of if the episodes were leaked early or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Fair enough.

Topic says "Spoilers", so there are spoilers in here. Works the same on Lost, Heroes, Prison Break, and any other show that says "Spoilers" in the thread title.

:rolleyes:

What did you expect when you came into this thread?

"Oh wasn't it good? Wink wink!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

HOLY $HIT! What a finale! Damn! Doakes exploding in the first few minutes was such a shock. I'm not sure why,as it seemed obvious enough he would have to die for Dex to continue but the way it happened. The special effects were brilliant,the way they slowed down the scene where he just gets blown away. Amazing. He will be missed though. Great character.

Damn I am soooo glad Lila got a knife through the chest,although she deserved a lot more. I thought she was going to get away with it all at the end when she got on the flight,but the postcard was genius :D

What a great show and this whole season has been feckin amazing! better than first perhaps? Not many shows can accomplish that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

That finale was sooo good! Rita just seems to get hotter with every episode aswell. Great way to finish the episode. No hesitation, no guilty conscience, he just plunged that knife right into Lila.

I too can't wait to see how Dexter kills his victims in the next series. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭LordBlonde

There's no way Doakes could have survived without the writers pulling some cheesy plot twist. Dexter would have never been able to frame him without Doakes putting a lot of suspicion on him. It's a pity though because Doakes was a great character.

I loved the postcard thing at the end. It had me smiling. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

What did he do with Lila's body? He was in Paris so presumably didn't have all his cutting tools, he was in a hurry to get back to the plane (spinal epidural instead of the tranquilizer, nice) and presumably he doesn't have a boat there to dump her at sea...

What did he do, throw her in the Seine or something?

Overall though it was good, I'm disappointed Doakes got the chop though, but at least he went out with a bang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ah brilliant episode, this was an early Xmas present to see the last two back to back, sorry to see Doakes go, but as mentioned there was no other way plot wise to let him live. It all worked out nicely, although I was worried there for a minute that Lyla had got away, and liked the scene with Dex, Rita and the Kids having fun together, then we get the Paris scene, should have seen it coming but didn't, looks Like Dex has learned to embrace who he is and also modify Harrys code as he still went after Lyla for killing an innocent cop. Great Episode roll on series 3

Couldn't have been happier with that finale... way more tense than the first season finale and felt more satisfied at the end of it.

Poor Doakes.. loved that he mouthed "motherf*cker" when walking towards his death, and the whole explosion looks fantastic internally. He will be sorely missed though as the last few episodes had the fantastic dialogue and moments between him and Dex.

At the start, i was a bit annoyed at the explosion of the cabin happening so soon. And everything slowed down.. but then we got the fantastic reliving of the opening credits and was quickly followed up by Dexter's realisation that it was Rita and their meeting at the aquarium. We never believed he was gonna leave with her but the "you'll be leaving with me alright... in a black bag!" just made me smile with glee. Looked like a cheshire cat!

Tensest bit of the episode was Dex hiding behind Lila's curtain and reaching out to grab her with the syringe... and it's DEB! Fecking hell.. the moment with Lila, Dex and Den just standing in a circle with Deb being completely aware just felt like it'd go completely wrong any minute. Loved it..!

And how happy was I at the decision to kill off Lila? It was a fantastic decision in more ways than one. For one.. Lila was loathed by most of the fan community. She's generally an unlikable character but up until the last few episodes, she never really added that much and distracted a lot from the ongoing Bay Harbour Butcher storyline so she was always a no-go for Season 3. And also, when I saw her flying off to Paris and then walking down the Paris streets and into her hotel.. I'd be forgiven for thinking they might bring her into season 3 as some nemesis. And alarm bells rang.. that'd just tacky beyond belief and too predictable! And then to see the Miami postcard and Dex pop up, truly the best resolution for all involved and a fantastic end to the season.

And then Dex's shiny new slide box.. roll on Season 3.

PS - this season proved to me anyways that 'Dexter' is without doubt one of the finest shows on TV. And yet why is it completely unwatched and unheard of on TV over here... it's a crying shame!

PPS - best 2 seasons of any show in YEARS, and Michael C Hall for a Emmy this year!

EDIT: I didn't realise i wrote so much.. sorry for boring ye! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Good post Basq, yeah really hope that Michael C gets a deserved Emmy this year!
    Also seems to be a real ratings winner for Showtime so long may it continue. It really needs to be shown on terrestrial tv over here on RTE and hopefully channel 4 or BBC2, then I bet u it would become a big hit, ok its on FX but not all people have Sky.
    It will be interesting to see where season 3 will take us with Dex, I have every confidence that the writers will come up with some intelligent storylines for us, although they've done the other Serial Killer and the Cop finds out who I really am storylines, just wondering where they can go???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Good ending, tied everything off nicely. Doakes' death was a little too convenient - it would have been interesting to see Dex kill Doakes himself rather than have Lila do it for him. Glad too see Lila gone though. I was a bit worried that she might have stayed on for Season 3 but happily Dex finished her off.

It will be hard to top this season but I can't wait to see the writers try. Roll on Season 3!

agamemnon wrote: »
    Doakes' death was a little too convenient - it would have been interesting to see Dex kill Doakes himself rather than have Lila do it for him.
    But then he would have killed "an innocent" - the whole reason Dex was framing Doakes instead of killing him was just this!

And by Lila doing it, Dexter now had a reason to kill her. Remember the "you killed an innocent man" line at the end!

Perfectly tied up by the writers.. resolution of it all was very clever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Feck yis all, I loved Lila! She was such a good antagonist, Doakes was great and all but he was predictable in his angry cop way, Lila was a lunatic who would (and did!) do ANYTHING! She added loads to the series, I don't think she detracted from the Butcher scenes earlier on in the series, they were needed for the pay off to be so genius and thrilling!*

Amazing episode, they could've so easily ended the season at any time during the last three eps, but it just. kept. coming!

Deb and the syringe bit! Lila and the babysitter! The postcard!

I thought we were going to see Lila off in Paris doing a bit of killing of her own when she popped up (I read into Dexter's "I've created a monster/child" bits), sorry to see you go Lila!

*AND she's a ride :D

What a mother****ing show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I loved the finale, loved loved loved it! Totally couldn't have predicted it. It was amazing. I'm lost for words!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The finale left me feeling totally elated and energised. It really brought me back, I had lost faith with Dexter halfway through the season. I couldn't bare to watch scenes with Lila in it. (the woman is lovely, but the character was pure stock, I think even Meg Ryan played a similar type a few years ago).

But the finale was just fantastic, can't wait for the new season. It's a golden age of TV right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭LordBlonde

I hated Lila but that was obviously the point with the character, so I think the writers and the actress did their jobs well.

And at least Doakes died the way he lived: shouting "motherfu*ker" at a gas stove. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Holy serial killer batman, I didn't expect this to be out for another 2 weeks. Can't wait to get home to watch it now.

Must resist urge to read the spoilers.

basquille wrote: »
    But then he would have killed "an innocent" - the whole reason Dex was framing Doakes instead of killing him was just this!

And by Lila doing it, Dexter now had a reason to kill her. Remember the "you killed an innocent man" line at the end!

Perfectly tied up by the writers.. resolution of it all was very clever!
    Aye, but it would have been interesting to see Dexter's reaction if he was more or less forced into killing Doakes to save himself, if say the cops were closing in and about to find Doakes in the cage. One of the great strengths of this season was seeing Dexter stuck in situations where Harry's code can't help him, such as when he realised that his framing Doakes was as bad as Lila framing Angel.

So what are everyone's ideas about where Season 3 will go? I think LaGuarda will still look for evidence to posthumously exonerate Doakes and she'll probably find something. I can't see her becoming Dex's new nemesis though. No doubt there'll be a few new characters introduced to replace Doakes, Lila and Lundy.

Finally got to watch these 2 episodes tonight.

Despite having a major motherf**king plot point (hint hint) ruined for me in a reported post by mikeruuds (thanks pal! :)) I thought this was a fantastic finale. Doakes had to die, there was no other way out of it.

However, I was hoping for a slim chance of him surviving. Book Spoilers:
    At the end of the second book (which was a completely different story), Doakes was held captive by a serial killer and had an arm and a leg chopped off in the climax.... Then in book 3, there is a terrific scene where everybody hears him coming down the corridor of the precinct on his new prosthetic leg, and everyone wondering what the noise was.... I always though that scene would have translated terrifically to screen, so thats why I was hoping there was a slim chance of survival...)

Anyway, fantastic 2 hours of TV. I think LaGuerta might be Dexters next nemesis..... If James kept a diary, sent an email, recorded a message somewhere, it could all blow up again (pun intended) :)

• Advertisement

I still can't believe Lila's dead... She would have been such a great loose end for them to tie up in season 3! Although, that would ahev been too easy for the dexter writers :)

Will the writer's strike have any impact on season 3, does anyone think? I don't know much about the situation so... At least pray with me that it won't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Great ending to a great series. I cant wait for season 3 sound slike fun. New methods? great. Ive been waiting for that because its patters that attract investagators. Remember what lundy said? There was a pattern of bodies noticed, my flight leaves in 7hours hours. So if dexter leaves no patters and he would have to drastically change his methods if he wants to stay killing in miami.

Maybe Lundi's off to investigate the bodies Dexter sent off down the gulf stream!

I wonder what they'll do next season... Rita and Dex will marry I'd say, Deb will be off finding a new beau etc. There'll hafta be a new killer, but what will the angle be! I'm so excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

doonothing wrote: »
    Maybe Lundi's off to investigate the bodies Dexter sent off down the gulf stream!

Washed up in Cork Harbour! It'd be like Heroes all over again with the oirish accents. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Just finished watching the two episodes right now - holy fúck:eek: What a series that turned out to be and what a truly exhilarating finale. I wasn't sure about it earlier on, even though I was enjoying the additional humour of the first few episodes, it reminded me of watching Superman 2 when he fell in love with Lois and stopped being 'super' for a while and you just wanted him to return to normal. When Dexter stopped killing and got with Lila I felt the same. But (a lot like the first series) it just got better and better right up until the end. I was so glad he killed botox face that I felt like punching the air when he popped up behind her after she'd picked up the postcard:D I cannot wait for season 3 but it must be at least 10 months away or maybe more when you consider the writer's strike:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Favourite moments:

"5'7". Black hair. Pale like a ****ing corpse"
    Doakes confronted with the realisation that Lila is a total ****ing loon.

One of the interesting things about this season is that it's no longer as easy to view Dexter as some kind of superhero. Season 1, he was a kind of avenging angel. The entire season was focused on the hunt for the ITK, and Dexter was the one saving the day. This time round, the hunt is for Dexter and Dexter acts mostly out of self-preservation rather than protecting those around him. With Doake's death, his actions have resulted in the loss of an innocent life. Not even the bony bitch's death was as how I pictured it would be. It was cold, chilling and disturbing.

Should be interesting starting Season 3, now that the character actually comes across as a bad guy rather than the hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Loved it. Brilliant stuff.

One gripe though. How did Dexter get to Paris before Lyla? I mean, she was in the airport and was about to board and meanwhile Dexter is sitting in the back of an ambulance, waiting to go to hospital. Surely he'd be a few hours in hospital and during that time Lyla's flight would have left leaving Dexter to take a later one. How did he get to where she was before her?

Come to think of it, how the hell did he know where she was staying or anything?

Had Lyla been in Paris for a while when she got stabbed or was it just as she arrived in? The amount of post suggests that she had been gone for a while although she could just be popular ;)

Anywho, great series and I can't wait for the new series.

im...LOST wrote: »
    Had Lyla been in Paris for a while when she got stabbed or was it just as she arrived in?
    She must have been there for a while to allow Dex time to track her down, mail her that postcard and head over there. When we first see Lyla in Paris, we can assume it was a month or so after the previous scene. Putting a caption to that effect on screen would have spoiled the surprise of Dex ambushing her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

agamemnon wrote: »
    She must have been there for a while to allow Dex time to track her down, mail her that postcard and head over there.

Doakes' funeral happens after he kills Lila though so it would seem that Dex tracked her very quickly. The postcard wasn't mailed either - no postmark or stamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Of all series this winter, Dexter does really do it for me! The closure for the season was brilliant. Now I can relax peacefully for the next few weeks!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Happy with this and I did call it on Lila killing Doakes and dying as a result of it all (if not for the reasons I initially thought). I was at first annoyed when she lived and was seen triapsing around Paris but, phew, that was put to rest with Dexter's most justifiable murder yet :D I'll try not to think why Lila had any mail at all given she had just arrived in that location..

I'm a bit miffed at killing Doakes but it really had to be done. Even though I saw him go up in a fireball, even after Masouka did a prelimanary ID of him, I still half-expected a charred figure to stumble into the Miami PD and go "It's that mother****er Dexter". I'm gonna miss him.

Nice reverse on last year - Debbie saving Dexter from their nutjob lover. They sure know how to pick 'em..

Excellent season and, I reckon, the best TV to air this year (The Wire S4 was '06 :)). It was more satisfying to me than the first season as we gave Dexter a bit more complexity and we saw him in a darker light - his framing of Doakes was chilling and he, even at the end, showed little remorse. Doakes cries of horror at the slaughter in the cabin will stay with me.

Now if Michael C. Hall doesn't get an Emmy this year, I vote we initiate a campaign for Emmy voters to receive some persuasive Dexter-style teachings telling them the crimes they've committed before dispensing justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

ixoy wrote: »
    I'll try not to think why Lila had any mail at all given she had just arrived in that location..
    Had the writer put in the caption "2 weeks later" before we see Paris and Lila walking home then maybe some people won't get confused here right? :D

Better still, a voiceover from an annoying Indian guy

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Had the writer put in the caption "2 weeks later" before we see Paris and Lila walking home then maybe some people won't get confused here right? :D
    Oh I'd have assumed as much but we saw Doakes funeral after that which meant that it took two weeks for that to happen. Or maybe I just remember the last few minutes wrong?

ixoy wrote: »
    Nice reverse on last year - Debbie saving Dexter from their nutjob lover. They sure know how to pick 'em..

Deborah chose better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement