Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is running/jogging only for certain types of people?

• 05-12-2007 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi

I was just wondering if everyone can become a runner/jogger or if it suits some people better than others?

I have tried to make joggin my excercise of choice but never seem to get anywhere with it. I find it impossible to go uphill and dont have much stamina. I went running along the prom at Salthill a few eeks ago and had to stop - the person I was with pointed out that I wasn't even out of breath and that was true along with not feeling anything in my muscles ( exertion pain etc) I just get this urge to stop for no real reason.

I've never had any training or even looked at a running chart btw.

What do people think - can I become a runner or should I just give it up as a bad job and try something else? (Breathing-wise I'm OK swimming and fine whilst cycling)

Thanks
    Kate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Get on a treadmill, Its harder to stop. You have to push buttons and stuff.
    or a crosstrainer, and set a distance and put your favorite album on.
    I'm 6 ft+ and have a dodgy knee, and am tipping 18st, The crosstrainer does the biz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hmmmm, how to say this delicatley... ;)

Ladies chests can cause them a lot of discomfort when they run, if they aren't properly strapped down. Could this be an issue? (there, I managed that with maturity didn't I?!)

Like everything in life running suits some but not others. My wife can't get her head around the fact that I go for 3 hr+ training runs on my own without going bananas ("what do you think about for all that time?!"). It sounds like you excercise regularly anyway so why run? Understanding what motivates you to actually want to run will help you decide if it is something you really want to do (rather than something you think you should). Personally I find it hard getting out the door but I know I'll feel great coming back in after a run and I enjoy racing so that keep sme going when I'd rather stop. If you know why you want to run then you'll know why you shouldn't stop... Likewise if you can't think of agood reason to run that isn't covered by excercise you already do (get fit, lose weight for eg) then you won't be motivated so running isn't for you.

Certainly physically everyone can run, there's no magic potion or shape/size that can or can't. And when we start we ALL want to stop for no reason. That's just your body telling you not to be putting all that stress on it and go away and sit down you eejit. Run through it and after a couple of weeks your body works out that you are more stubborn than it is and it gives in and the need to stop kind of goes away! FWIW I have teh same thing when I'm swimming - I'm moderatley fit and know how to swim but I get three quarters of teh way through a length well under control before my mind kicks in with a plea of "You're drowning, for Gods sake stand up!!" and invariably I give in to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭k-a-t-e

I dont think its a question of strapping anything down!! I use the same brand sports bra as Oprah, y'know! (Impressed? you should be)

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said what am I running for. The answer is I'm not sure, I like the effect it has on my body, toning, weight loss etc, but maybe I'm not vain enough to care...or maybe its the dark, cold, wet nights that are the problem......

Thanks for the advice
    Kate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

k-a-t-e wrote: »
    or maybe its the dark, cold, wet nights that are the problem......

I prefer it when it's dark, cold and wet! Keeps you cool and if it's dark i'd probably just be watching tv or something so it's nice to be away from that.

I took to running/jogging very quickly, some people don't do so very easily. I think small steps is the key. Just go for a short run and get used to the feeling of running and then it becomes habit and then you can add distance -soon you find yourself enjoying it as time to yourself-to clear your head, get some fresh air, and all that stuff. That's what i like about running.

Oh, and my bro's ultra competitive in sports, but he can't run/cycle like I can, so that's always been motivation for me! hehehe!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

or maybe its the dark, cold, wet nights that are the problem...
    Having an arrangement to run with like-minded people can help, especially around this time of year. There's a good few groups in the Galway area aimed at people who are starting to run. See here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055178139

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭interlocked

I go for 3 hr+ training runs on my own
    :eek:
    I'm moderatley fit
    :rolleyes:

Such modesty!

I'd need a lie down just thinking about a three hour run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

:eek:

:rolleyes:

Such modesty!

I'd need a lie down just thinking about a three hour run

yeah but he still gets beaten by girls :-)*

*said by a girl who is very carefully choosing not to run the same marathons as Amadeus this year :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I let you win...

(13 seconds! whats 13 seconds over a marathon distance? Nothing!!)

So Kate, any update, are you running???!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

The original question here is an important one:
    I was just wondering if everyone can become a runner/jogger or if it suits some people better than others?

Timothy Noakes in Lore of Running wrote:
    When starting out, beginners may not find running particularly easy or enjoyable. It takes great motivation and personal discipline to survive the first three months before running becomes a habit controlled by the subconscious... Since this process takes time, one consequence is that many beginners often fall by the wayside, as they are unable to look beyond the glamour of running and are totally unaware of this unexpected demand of the sport.

But if you do get through that first three months:
    Interestingly, once the novice has been through this process, it need never be repeated. Irrespective of the duration for which you do not run, be it months, years, or even decades, you will never again need to go through this learning process; starting to run will never again be as difficult, regardless of how unfit you may have become.

I'm not so sure about that second bit - it's hard work coming back from a long layoff!

Advertisement