Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not polish but ....

Options
  • 05-12-2007 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

Can anyone help me find out about learning Slovakian? Based in Waterford so any help on courses or anything or recomendations on good sites / books etc? Been googling for about an hour and getting no where! Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

im in a similar position,I wanna learn czech but nobody seems to teach it :s.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

I know how hard it is to find courses of unpopular languages, like I'm sure Czech or Slovak are in Ireland. I've been trying to teach myself Turkish and Norwegian and those courses are also difficult to find. But you get quite a lot of hits in google if you type in 'learn czech/slovak online.' As an example:

For Czech:
    http://www.locallingo.com/

For Slovak:
    http://simplyput.atspace.com/slovak/index.htm

Also, I bet there are quite many Czechs/Slovaks in your area. In a shop, pin up a message saying you're looking for private lessons and I'm sure you'll find someone. Good luck!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

cheers for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

In Dublin you can easily get the Slovak and Czech language packs, from Colloquial Slovak or Teach yourself Czech. Hodges Figges, and also International books near Nassau St in Dublin.

In Dublin, you can learn czech in Trinity but in Sandford Language Institute you can learn Czech and Slovak depending on demand for the course.

If you just learn czech, slovaks will understand you.

Heres something to get you going

Ahoj/Nazdar - Hello

Maj sa pekny den - Have a nice day

Ako sa mate/Ako sa mas - How are you, formal and familiar

Ano - Yes

Ne - No

Vsetko v poriadku - everything is ok

Slovak up there******88

Czech below:

Jo - Yes

Ne - No

Ja s mam taky dobre - I am very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Have the basic's down from the missus. Thanks though! After ordering Beginning Slovak by Oscar E. Swan so that'll have to do me. Costs about 250 dollars with the 8 CD's or about 20 dollars without. I opted for without as herself can play the part of a CD and from comments left from people who have used the book before, you really need a native speaker to get the most out of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement